New turn lane planned at Cornwallis & Cleveland School Rd

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by certdude, Dec 28, 2016.

1. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Something I would like to see:
    1.) A stop light at N. Shilo/Josephine at Cornwallis. Do away with the 4 way stop
    2.) Put a stop light at Josephine and Cleveland School road
    or at
    3.) Put a stop light at Barber Mill

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

I don't really see an issue with Shiloh/polenta and Cornwallis having a 4 stop. It seems to work out pretty well.

1_more_PitBull and Auxie like this.
  4. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

I like the 4 way.

Auxie likes this.
  5. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Better than a Round-About!

poppin cork likes this.
  6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I don't see how. I personally prefer roundabouts because they keep traffic flowing, they help keep speed in check, they do not require powered signalization (no maintenance / less cost), they work when the power is out and do not require police to direct traffic, they can be aesthetic if done properly, etc. However, some of the more complex ones on Hillsborough at NCSU can go directly to hell without stopping.

7. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

There's no way a round a bout needs to go in at Cornwallis and polenta.

poppin cork likes this.
  8. poppin cork

And, four way stop signs need no power either.

Auxie likes this.
  9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You Hippy! :D

poppin cork likes this.
  10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

So all 4 directions at that light already have a left turn lane, so are they adding a right turn lane?

turn.JPG

11. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

yea, trying to figure out what they are talking about also!!!! AND how long this will take and how much traffic are they going to tie up doing this project on such a busy street!!!

12. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

What I am thinking is what they did at 42/Cleveland School Road. They added the second left turn lane between the CVS and Walgreens turning east between the CVS and car wash. then just merge it back to one lane

13. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Since they specifically mention taking an easement adjacent to the elementary school, it looks like they're putting in a dedicated right turn lane, on Cornwallis next to the school to turn on southbound Cleveland Rd. See below. Sorry the resolution went to crap. cleve.jpg

jesse82nc and Rockyv58 like this.
  14. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Maybe add a blinking red light at this intersection also. I see people blow through that intersection almost daily. Can't tell you how many times I have almost been hit since the 4 way was put in.

15. poppin cork

Wow, I didn't realize that. Thanks

Hught likes this.
  16. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

I think #3 is planned if I recall DOT planned things to be done in the area.

17. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I rarely see ANYONE stop (completely) at a stop sign ANYWHERE!! They just slow down to about 2-3 MPH.

18. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

The only problem at Cleveland & Barber Mill is people turning left off Barber Mill onto Cleveland. Car A is on Barber Mill wanting to turn left onto Cleveland. Car B is on Cleveland coming to turn left onto Barber Mill. Car C is on Cleveland going straight and is NEVER seen by Car A who is pulling out to be beat Car B turning.
    I have seen it happen.

19. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

Eighteen months ago, I was hit broadside by an elderly lady at that intersection after I came to a full stop and waited my turn to enter the intersection going straight. She barely slowed down before continuing on. (Then she waved everybody on who tried to stop to help as I was still in my car unable to move, but that's another story.) People don't pay attention to stop signs and at best they do rolling stops, which isn't stopping in the least. Just this morning, a young woman in a bronze Rav 4 with South Carolina plates never even remotely slowed down coming down Cornwallis from the schools and just barreled straight through at about 50 mph (and was playing on her phone). Something really does need to be done there.

lgb0250 likes this.
  20. poppin cork

DOT can't fix stupid.

certdude, Hught, twisty and 1 other person like this.