computer repair

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by siameselover, Jan 1, 2017.

1. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

I am looking for someone who repairs laptops at a reasonable price. The fan is too noisy. I use compressed air on it so its not just dirty.
    I am on a fixed income so I can't pay too much

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My guess is that the compressed air bent the fan blades. You might be able to find a replacement fan relatively cheap from an electronics store such as Tigerdirect in Raleigh.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/campaigntemplate.asp?CampaignID=586

3. siameselover

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Most of the electronics fans are cast petrochemical blades which do not deform. A bearing that is failing is more likely, but I really hate dealing with the micro components of laptops. Maybe Ddrdan has some input.

5. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Tiger direct closed all the NC locations. This is no longer open.

Laptop fans are hard to source, except from the manufacturer. What brand is it?

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Even their store (comp usa) up on Capital Blvd is closed?

You might want to check with this guy, he disposes of old computers he may have the fan part you need.

http://itecycler.com/

7. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Yes it closed too. They pretty much went to a online only presence to complete with Newegg.

8. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Post the Manufacturer and the model number or just the service tag if it's a Dell. You may have a fan speed adjustment in your BIOS that will help and with the model info I can send you directions on the removal of the cover.

Sounds like your fan motor may be binding with carbon dust inside the motor casing which makes them loud. The fans are magnetic drive and a carbon powder builds up in them from wear. You can't blow the dust out because it's magnetic. Fans can be rejuvenated by pulling the little label off the center of the motor and adding a couple tiny drops of machine oil in the hole to soften the dry carbon dust. Don't use too much!! Once you get the case covers off pulling the fan for replacement or oiling isn't that hard. 4 screws and 1 plug. Finding the replacement fan for an older model is another story.

The canned air is a good idea but most people blow the air into the 'output' vent. Not the best of choices because it blows debris back into the fan motor casing. It's important to blow the air into the fan 'intake' vent so your blowing the debris out of the laptop interior and not into it. I will assume from your avatar that you have a cat. Cat and dog fur is the #1 killer of laptop cooling systems.

The fins on a laptop heatsink (the radiator the fan blows through) have very small gaps between them. Lint & pet hair builds up and forms a dam that looks like a little blanket across the fins. The pet fur forms a weave and even compressed air won't remove it sometimes. Running a long pipe cleaner through the fins from the output vent will dislodge it enough for the air to work on it.

Post that info and I'll look up your manual for the BIOS features and case removal. Remember, remove the power cord, remove the battery, then push the 'power on' button for 5 seconds, before you ever try to work on a laptop. That bleeds all the power from the laptop. They are testy when it comes to arc shorts from almost any static contact.

9. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that link. I was just looking for a recycle location yesterday.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  10. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I have gotten Memory from this guy

11. siameselover

Its a hp pavillion. i cant figure out how to get to the fan. what i can open i cant see the fan. i got it in 2013. when it gets loud if i tap it, it will stop. and yes i have 2 siamese, and last jan and feb i had 4 cats.

12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

has it helped your memory Rocky??? Do you find it easier to remember things?

13. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Just "pavillion" doesn't help. I need you to flip it over and get the model # off the sticker. Each laptop has it's own maintenance manual. I need that number to find the correct manual for case removal directions.

If a tap stops the noise it's most likely the carbon dust in the motor. Because it's magnetized it forms into one spot and throws the armature off balance making the loud noise. When you tap it the dust moves temporarily till it collects back together. Rinse & repeat. lol

Auxie likes this.
  14. siameselover

does this mean the fan is bad, or can it be cleaned? and is this caused by cat fur?

15. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I can't say positively because I'm not looking at the unit, but, from what you say ..... the fan can be cleaned & oiled and you more than likely have fur inside the case that should be cleaned out. A cleaning and the oil will give you some time before you need to replace that fan.

The way to keep the fur out is to not use the laptop on your laptop, don't lay in down on cushion furniture or a bed when it's running, and make a point to blow it out once a week. Use a lapdesk or table top when you use it.

PS: if that's a Dv6000 and maybe it fits an 8000 series too ... I have used parts for that model. You can have them for free.

poppin cork and Hught like this.
  16. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

• Address: 106 Tottingham Ct, Garner, NC 27529
    • Phone: (919) 772-3959

I used them for a lap top ... it's a home business (shop att'd) but was professional, did good job and reasonably priced compared to others.

17. siameselover

I use on my lap but i have a laptop cooler under it at all times. i never use it in the bed or couch and i blow it out a lot. thanks for the parts but i dont know how to replace them. i should probably replace it instead of cleaning and oiling to save on labor costs down the road, with my bad luck it would crap out soon after cleaning, and i am on disability and cant afford 2 repairs on it

18. siameselover

t
    hanks, i will check them out next week

19. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I can vouch for abettercomputerservice.com as well. Mike worked on our office computers for nearly 10+ years and has also fixed my laptop 2 times. Good guy, trustworthy, fair prices. Tell him Stacey recommended him.