Today's Wow did I just see that?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hught, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Hught likes this.
  3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

They are brilliant aren't they. When me and the wife first married she worked in a pet store that was next to an old pinball arcade. We inherited an African Grey and a Macaw that no one would buy. We put them both in the living room and at night you would think there was pinball machines in the living room.

We currently have a 20 year old Quaker Parrot that initially stayed in our bed room until he nailed my wife's snoring, and this really did it, imitated her zipping up her jeans. He now lives in the living room and when he sees us working on our computers he asks "Whatch you doing?"

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Auxie likes this.
  6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Auxie, Wayne Stollings and Rockyv58 like this.
  13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Science of the Day: Hubble Spotted Something Massive Coming Out of Uranus

[​IMG]

Yeah, the article title is like a 5th grader’s dream joke come true… see also “gas from Uranus” or “Uranus lit its own fart.” I bet the article writers had a field day with this story. Bottom line though is that the Hubble Space Telescope actually has caught something on Uranus for the first time – massive auroras resulting from a sudden, powerful blast of solar wind. Streams of charged particles enter the powerful magnetic fields of the planet, and release spectacular bursts of light. We’ve been able to study in quite a bit of detail auroras on Jupiter and Saturn, but this is apparently the clearest shot we’ve ever caught of the spectacle on Uranus. Astronomers tracking interplanetary shocks caused by two powerful bursts of solar wind from the sun ended up catching the most intense auroras ever seen there. And watching the phenomenon over time, they were able to gain the first ever evidence that auroras actually rotate with the planet, rather than sticking to the point the charged particles entered the atmosphere.

BobF and Sherry A. like this.
  14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

poppin cork and Wayne Stollings like this.
  16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I live in the country and am a little concerned about how hard it was for me to find it.

Can you spot the snake in this photo?
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017
    Florida snake biologist Helen aka @SssnakeySci shares this photo she received, which features a Copperhead snake lurking around in the woods. Can you see it?
    Received this from a fellow HERper this morning. No caption needed, the task was implied: "can you spot the snake?"[​IMG]
    @SssnakeySci

For the ones who can't, Helen was kind enough to leave a hint.

19. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Yes but I had to cheat and make the photo bigger. I had also seen it a while back. Pretty cool.COPPER HEAD?

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yep!