solar eclipse

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cynadon, Jul 18, 2017.

1. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Anybody going to watch the eclipse? We gonna fly down to Triple Tree to watch it. Supposedly I-95 is going to be jammed up. I'm hoping welding helmets will be good enough to look at it.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I have used welding helmets in the past, but they were the old school constant dark and not the newer darkening as needed. You should still be good though.

cynadon likes this.
  3. cynadon

in the early 90's we had a "slight eclipse" . I used a welding helmet to show all my employees. They didn't believe me till they saw a little black dot cross the sun.

I'm concerned cause we thinking bout flying west to east and making a day of it. Don't want to lose my eyes, and hell, my buddy probably don't want me to have to land it. I'm good with big RC planes, but golly

4. Wayne Stollings

When I was flying, we had a Cessna with a Short Take Off and Landing (STOL) kit on it. I think anyone could land it if needed. The stall speed was ridiculously low so if you had any headwind at all you were good. I once did 4 touch an go landings on a small strip at one time. I landed came up, and landed again over an d over before the end of the strip and the big lake after. They are supposed to be really popular in places like Alaska where there are fewer places to land regularly equipped planes. You can almost stop in the air and set down so it is helpful if you need to land in a clearing, which my instructor would make you do at least twice before he turned you loose. I don't know what the costs are now, but it makes a plane much more versatile.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

What time is this supposed to be happening?

6. Wayne Stollings

7. cynadon

august 21. after lunch

8. cynadon

I ask about the eclipse. Wayne taught me how to fly.

poppin cork and BuzzMyMonkey like this.
  9. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Im thinking of driving to SC. Probably NOT taking 95 but more backroads to Columbia or somewhere on the west side. That way if its cloudy I can go either east or west of there to see it.

elims and cynadon like this.
  10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

We are planning to drive down to Manning, SC early in the morning and hang out there for the day. Hopefully the traffic won't be as bad as I think it will be. We are planning to leave here around 5am and probably not get back until late in the evening.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My wife has the same plan, unfortunately I will be in Ohio. She has special eclipse viewing glasses.

12. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Will be on vacation in Myrtle Beach so definitely will be watching.

13. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

94% coverage right here. will be cool still.

14. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Wayne Stollings likes this.
  16. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

17. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

Sherry A. and Hught like this.
  18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member