Tropical Storm Party?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by certdude, Aug 28, 2017.

1. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Tropical system 10 is expected to form into a Tropical Storm later today, JoCo is predicted to have 1-3 inches of rain starting later this afternoon, with and additional 1-4 tomorrow. Warnings have already been declared along the coast.

Make preparations now. Minor flooding can be anticipated with rainfall of this sort (nothing like Tx, but still enough to close roads, etc). Remember Turn Around Don't Drown when coming upon flooded roads. We had several deaths during Matthew from people driving through flooded roads in the 40/42 area.

See readync.org or local media for more info.

poppin cork, Hught and Sherry A. like this.
  2. certdude

Update: Johnston was just put under a Flash Flood Watch and Wind Advisory from 8pm tonight (8/28) for 24 hrs until 8pm 8/29.

poppin cork and Hught like this.
  3. certdude

poppin cork and cynadon like this.
  4. certdude

Yay, Irma just predicted to turn slightly north, which puts its on a possible track to hit NC. Figure really late next week, possibly the week after (week of sept 11). Its a cat 3 currently.

So hurricane party now?

And theres another possible just off Africa they are predicting to become something, but will be a few days.

5. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

I remember one death in the area during matthew but I did not realize there were more than that, stay safe

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Down near Fayetteville my wife lost a relative when his car went off the road, they eventually found him.

7. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Hugh, I was referring to the 40 42 area though, I knew about the young man who was swept off the swift creek bridge on cornwallis road, was there more in this area though?

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this.

9. certdude

My bad you are correct. I was thinking there were several (5) in the car and more than 1 died. There was 1 other death I can quickly find in the news for joco, but it was in Selma.

10. certdude

Irma is really not looking good. Long range models this morning are showing agreement on a hit on Wilmington.

That said, last night one of the better ones was showing a hit on Norfolk. I think regardless, its going to hit either near or in NC... And if the intensity models can be believed (they are a lot less accurate) its going to be big.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

12. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around sustained 185 mph winds with reported gusts of 225 mph. Incredible system, that Irma. I don't even know what a 225 wind gust would even be like, and feel badly for anyone caught in its path right now.

Auxie likes this.
  13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I hope none of us find out. Currently scheduled to work Southern Florida Wednesday and Thursday next week with Tuesday in Birmingham. Got a feeling it isn't going to happen!

Sherry A. likes this.
  14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Mount Washington in NH knows. 231 mph up there. A tornado in Okl.in the 90's hit 300 plus.

15. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

All I know is that there's no way my matchstick-built house could ever survive even 100 mph winds. An underground storm shelter is starting to sound pretty reasonable about now!

Auxie likes this.
  16. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Agreed. Stay safe wherever you are next week. It's hard to tell where this thing will be heading in the coming days, but I suppose we'll know soon enough!

Hught likes this.
  17. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Grandfather Mountain near Boone has unverified gusts of over 200 mph and verified gusts of over 114 mph. One of the "hurricane proof" windows blew out a few years ago.

18. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

"Hurricane proof"! That's like when they advertised the Titanic as "unsinkable". Seems a little like tempting fate. Richard Branson, of Virgin Airlines fame, just announced that he's riding out Irma on his private 79 acre island which is directly in the path of the hurricane. He claims his buildings are also "hurricane proof" - which is what exactly? I don't know, but I certainly hope they are!

19. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I doubt your schedule next week will hold. I have a brother in Miami, another in Alabama and niece in Pensacola and they are getting ready. The one in Miami moved from Italy there a few years ago and believes he can ride this out. I think he's nuts!

20. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The code includes:

• Exceptionally strong polymer interlayer is sandwiched between two sheets of glass to reinforce your windows during a hurricane.
    • The interlayer holds the glass together if it’s shattered – helping prevent damage and injury that can be caused by wind, water and debris entering your home.
    • Can withstand an impact equivalent to that of a 2-by-4 traveling at 50 feet per second.