Today's Wow did I just see that?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hught, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Auxie and Hught like this.
  3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

More of a wow, did just experience that. Had alarm set for 3am while in San Francisco this morning but at 2:30 the bed started shaking. My first earthquake!

Wayne Stollings, cynadon and BobF like this.
  4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I just read about the quake. Says everybody is worried about the big one to follow. What is a quake like? description.

5. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

We had a pretty big one (5.8 if I recall correctly) around here back in 2011. Were you around then? It was centered up here in Virginia, but I understand you all felt it down there as well.

I remember it well enough that I don't feel the need to ever be around another one. I thought a train had derailed near the building I was in.

cynadon likes this.
  6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Bed was jumping/vibrating but it was over pretty quick

cynadon likes this.
  7. cynadon

Bob, I was here then but on a 30,000 pound john deere with 6 wheels. I didn't notice anything different. My grandparents inlaw in Four Oaks had to straighten all the pictures on the walls

BobF likes this.
  8. cynadon

I can comprehend the power, but I can't imagine the ground rippling like a wave on water!

9. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I used to live in California and was present for many quakes. I remember one in Monterey where a parking lot appeared to have waves going thru it, not water but the parking lot asphalt. Never saw another one like that.

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I saw this video once and it freaked me out:

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Kicker to the day is I get to work and Sheltered in Place for 3 hours due to chemical leak. Wondering what thrill I will have landing in Seattle tonight

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

13. cynadon

you got to try hught

Auxie, poppin cork and Hught like this.
  14. cynadon

Iv'e got an 8 acre pond in my yard. It finally froze completely over Sunday morning. Now its cracking and sounds like a Star Wars blaster fight scene or a pod of whales.

15. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I received a warning from my HOA that a resident had chased several children off the retention pond after they were caught trying to break through the ice by stomping on it. They should have be taken into custody and had Darwin explained to them and then returned to the pond. If they learned they would not do it again, if they didn't they would get very wet and very cold very quickly.

Hught and cynadon like this.
  16. cynadon

I ran 4 neighborhood kids off another one off our ponds Thursday. About 20 feet from the edge and we scoop it out regularly with a track hoe.

Auxie, Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.
  17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

18. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

20. cynadon

I think I graduated from there Hught

Auxie, poppin cork and Hught like this.