Missing the discussion here!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pcroom, Feb 6, 2018.

1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

True story. Yesterday I was at White Oak and drove down to the roundabout and yielded because there was a SUV coming from the left side. Well, the SUV pulled up and stopped in the roundabout so I could go through. Courteous:Yes Stupid:Absolutely these are the type of people that cause rear end accidents and probably road rage. I can only imagine what the car behind him was thinking!

In retrospect I still think the roundabout on Cornwallis might be better. Only because it forces people to slow down. I see fools blow right through that 4 way every week. No reason to believe it won’t continue with a light.

somethingNother likes this.
  2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I saw a truck that decided going ALLLLLLLLLL the way around to the right was too much so they turned left on the roundabout and tool the first left to be on their way ... meanwhile everyone else was slamming on brakes to keep from hitting the fool, who seemed to remain oblivious to what he had done to the traffic flow.

3. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Wow, the other day I was at the roundabout on Hillsborough St. in Raleigh and I entered the circle proceeded 3/4ths of the way around and exited. Two or three other cars also entered and exited the circle and navigated just fine! As a matter of fact, I don't think I've seen any more problems with traffic circles than I have with regular intersections. Go figure?

cynadon likes this.
  4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Agreed. They don't require electricity, cause light pollution, or come down in a storm. Besides, could you imagine those people who live nearby having the red and green menace changing colors all night coming through your window?

5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

It's also nice when it's like 2am and you don't have to sit at a red light for several minutes waiting for the light to change when nobody else is on the road.

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Spot on Jesse. Not that I'm out at 2 am

Auxie likes this.
  7. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

McDonalds must have been having a sale!

Wayne Stollings likes this.
  8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Well that's just your fault. 2am, no one around, country road, I ain't waiting. LOL

9. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Light pollution, lmfao

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  10. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

If there is no lighting at the intersection, how do you see them when approaching at night? People new to the area might have an accident if not aware of it.

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Ever live next to a traffic light?

light pol·lu·tion
    līt pəˈlo͞oSHən/
    noun
    noun: light pollution
    1. brightening of the night sky caused by street lights and other man-made sources, which has a disruptive effect on natural cycles and inhibits the observation of stars and planets.

What ever happened to the country life? When you could look up at the sky at night and actually see stars? Walmart. Walmart happened.

bridgett likes this.
  12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Reflective signs. The same way you see a stop sign ( and every other sign) at night. You may want to rethink that question, because it reminds me of a story. I once asked my grandmother why her vacuum cleaner had a headlight on it. She told me that was so she could still vacuum if the power went out. :)

somethingNother likes this.
  13. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

I get it, but the definition of pollution states introduction of something harmful or poisonous, while I don't like the extra light either, I find the word pollution to be a stretch. Just me being a geek, sorry!

Rockyv58 likes this.
  14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Can I prove that I am a bigger geek than you?

ISO 14001:2015 section A.6.1.2 Environmental Aspects, not only lists, radiation, vibration (noise) and light, this edition also now lists "space" as an item that should be considered when evaluating the environment.

Disclosure, I am a geek because this is one aspect of my profession,

ROUTER likes this.
  15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Got to be pretty much a large geek if you can quote the International Standards Organization standards LOL :)

Hught likes this.
  16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Granted I was auditing an organization against it today! :)

17. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I have had to deal with the ISO standards in both my career in computers and with my classes in bio manufacturing

Hught likes this.
  18. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Works as long as nobody tears the sign down or runs into it, a common occurrence around here.