Affordable cell phone plan?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Vanosa, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I pay about $30 a month for Google Fi. Unlimited calling and text, they charge you based on how much data you use that month, so it fluctuates. They use whatever the strongest signal is at the time from Sprint, T-mobile, and US Wireless. Plus it also uses Wifi for calling. Had it almost a year now, very pleased. They also offer financing for a phone if you need one. Currently the Nexus 5X is about $199 and works with their plan. You own the phone forever then, no contracts.

2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Seems like these days underwear lasts longer than phones /upgrades do.

Auxie likes this.
  3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yes, just like Republic. They have the Google brawn behind them but Republic was out of the gate a bit sooner. Did I mention that my $26 was for two phones/lines? Republic data is unlimited on wifi and kind of that way on cellular in that you pay for a block of data up front, but if you don't use it all then they refund you. They use blended band as well with all of the major carriers.

So, nyah! :p

4. jesse82nc

Every phone/device is unlimited on wifi LMAO. That has nothing to do with Republic. My tablet that does even have cellular is unlimited on wifi.

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yes, I am aware of that but not many people are and I have found that folks still use data (cellular while wifi is available). Republic and Google Fi are industry disruptors at the moment.

Okay, so you basically responded to my Republic post with news about your Google Fi project that cost $4 more (probably more than that when you consider my $26 is for two lines/phones), yet they have essentially the same format/plan/concept? And Republic is a local company. I am trying to see the difference, but failing. Phone prices maybe.

6. jesse82nc

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I've been with Republic for a few years now, so Sprint was their first carrier. I have the Moto Defy which was the beta test phone and it stunk, but was quickly replaced (for free) to the Moto X 1st gen. Not the sexiest phone, but it is quite stable. I have not had a single issue on the Sprint network so far. With what comes to $13 a month I can't beat it. If I need to be on the phone so much that I need 3 networks, then I might be doing something wrong with my life anyway. Have you had to contact Google customer service for anything? Just curious how it is. Republic was shaky at first and relies heavily on its users being tech savvy enough to handle Q&A through the forums. Now they have a ticket based system that works fairly well. I haven't used it, but I contribute as an SME.

8. jesse82nc

Nope, it just works. I can tell sometimes when it is switching networks around my house. It always finds the one with the fastest/strongest signal. So if I go out of Sprint's 4G area it becomes 3G, it will look to see if T-mobile has 4G there and switch. Speeds are usually very fast and quality has been top notch. Helps that the Nexus 5X is a flagship phone as well. Signing up was filling out a couple boxes on a form online and done. Plugged the SIM in my phone and it has been great since.

9. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

Not in this heat...

Hught likes this.
  10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Lol

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Had Sprint in the past through personal and company phones and now have Verizon for both and the Verizon service is much more reliable than the Sprint service ever was...even with a Sprint signal booster installed at the house.

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I use them against each other, they aren't loyal to me so I will go with the best deal....

I had Verizon after they took over Alltel. I would still have them, but they got pissy about the unlimited plan so I dumped them and went to Sprint because they had that promotion to 'Cut your bill in half". I had an old Alltel plan and a discount through work so it was already a pretty good deal. They tried everything not to let me do it, but I forced them and now I am paying $31.50/month for the Unlimited plan.

I do agree that Verizon service is better, but Sprint is still pretty good. There are areas where Sprint is actually better. I dont care, my bill including tax is less than $40/mo.

13. SavannahAnna

SavannahAnna Well-Known Member

I've been a Republic customer for 2 years; I have the Moto X (2nd gen). Not a fancy phone by any means, but does everything my daughter's iphone does. My plan is $25.00 REFUND PLAN. I get all the text, talk and data up to 1GB for $25.00. BUT each month I get a credit to my account based on the amount of wi-fi minutes I use. My cell phone bill for the past 6 months has ranged from $12.00 - $18.00 dollars. I travel quite a bit for work and have never had an issue find accessible wi-fi. The few times I've had to submit a service ticket, response time was within 4 hours and the problem solved immediately.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  14. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I switched to Republic over a year ago and couldn't be happier...I have saved so much money! The month I switched, I traveled to Hawaii and all over the continental US without a glitch in service. It's worth looking in to.

Auxie likes this.
  15. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

Glad to here that. I happen to be a fan myself.

16. Bluewillow

Bluewillow Well-Known Member

Looking for recommendations. Are those of you who use Republic still happy with them? Thanks for any help!

Auxie likes this.
  17. jesse82nc

Still very happy with Google Fi, average bill is about $25-30, unlimited calls and text plus data. http://fi.google.com

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Very pleased with Republic. They have a lot of new phones now. They have also had a pop up store in Raleigh to test their brick and mortar wings out.

19. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

20. Bluewillow

Bluewillow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! Still researching my options. So many phones and plans, buy a new phone or get a used one and put in a card. I'm leaning toward Republic as I'm sitting here wearing my Google "fiber is coming" T-shirt. Oh, the irony!