Hail Damage

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Keech, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Keech

Keech Member

Anyone with hail damaged roof. If you had it repaired how well was the experience? What company would you recommend and why. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Contact your home insurance agent to get to an adjuster. Some insurance companies have agreements with vendors which can get some special considerations. The insurance will cover the damaged roof areas and you may have some improvement costs or you may not depending on the particulars of the situation. At the very least the adjuster can have the roof inspected to give an estimate of the extent of the damage rather than one of the companies using weather data to try to get as much repair business as possible. Some of those companies are great but not all of them, which is why the recommendations of an adjuster may help you in many ways.

Sherry A. likes this.
  3. Keech

Keech Member

Thanks. I have completed the insurance part. I want to know about the current experiences with roofing repairs from the latest hail storm. The roofs look very nice.

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

We replaced our 20 year old roof last summer. While my roof could have technically been repaired after the hail storm, our adjuster allowed for a complete replacement because he was concerned that peeling back the damaged areas to fix them would affect the integrity of our brand new roof.

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

So I also have a couple questions:

1) Who have you used for roofing/siding? Good experience or bad?

2) I have gone through the insurance part and I have the check and report from the adjuster. A couple of roofers will not bid the job unless they see what the dollar amount is on the check. This seems suspect to me. What is the typical procedure here? Get bids and pick your roofer, then pay them from insurance money? If it goes over the amount I see you can appeal for more by sending in invoices? What if the repairs are under the amount the insurance company provided?

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

my adjuster that came out, said if bids are more then insurance estimate to get resolved before you sign the contract with roofer. send roofer estimate to insurance . i cant recommend anyone yet. I'm in commercial construction, and having a hard time getting quotes. use a local guy due to warranties. we used Robco for repairs earlier, they were good.

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Highly recommend Scro's in Clayton. They are one of the largest roofers in NC. They have done a great job on our roof and many friends' roofs. They also stand behind their work.

8. will

will New Member

Folks, I strongly recommend you stay away from Ridge Valley Exteriors. Had the roof redone after the hail storm by Legacy, whom I highly recommend. The initial roof job from Ridge Valley, four weeks prior, looked a bit sloppy and communication was spotty at best. So decided to go with Legacy due to a friend's recommendation. When they tore it off, they found rotted boards and improper installation that may have voided the shingle manufacturer warranty. Tried to get a refund for my out of pocket expense and received a nasty call from the owner of Ridge Valley. STAY AWAY!!!

Auxie likes this.
  9. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

We just watched one of the out of state storm chaser companies do a neighbors roof. They installed about the cheapest shingles I have ever seen, wasn't even a brand I had heard of. And some of the rows are crooked. Looks like the first time they had ever done it. Be careful of those type of companies. They will go back out of state as soon as they are done here and change their phone numbers.

Hught likes this.
  10. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

my brother in law works for a roofer. he said these companies come in get a 919 cell ph. number, set up a local po box, make as much money as fast as they can then are never to be seen again. use a real local company.

Auxie and jesse82nc like this.