Interesting Find

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DWK, Sep 29, 2019.

1. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

So a few days ago I was digging in my garden, which is mostly sand underneath the topsoil, and my shovel hit something about a foot and a half down. After bringing it up with my shovel, it looked to be some sort of stone knife, although the very end tip is missing. It fits perfectly in my hand, so I tested it to open some bags of soil conditioner, and the darn thing cut very well! The stone blade looks worked and isn’t like any other rocks I’ve ever seen around here. I also found a roundish, small cutter in the same location, made from the same stone as the blade that also fits perfectly in my hand. Just curious if anybody else out there has run into these kinds of things while digging?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Back about 1970 my cousin found a stone tomahawk in a cave in some cliffs. He sold it to a tourist from New York for $25.00 which was a bit of money for that time and place.

When my grandfather died someone stole his collection of finding from the fields he plowed over the years. Three big coffee cans full of arrow heads (originally a native hunting ground near the cliffs mentioned above) and bullets through the Civil War era (near the site of a civil war battle) taken from the three fields he plowed on his farm.

Sherry A. likes this.
  3. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Yes, arrowheads and artifacts from native Americans are quiet common around Swift and Middle creek and branches in between in the area. I have right many I've collected over the years.

Sherry A. likes this.
  4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Area was likely originally Catawba land. https://native-land.ca/

Cool site that strips away modern map elements and lets you see what is was like before Europeans arrived.

Auxie likes this.
  5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic?

Auxie likes this.