Carolina dog?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cranky, Jul 21, 2014.

1. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

I haven't seen one in at least 15 years but there it was right in front of the house. A nice skinny, mangy looking Carolina dog. I didn't get a picture to confirm it, but it didn't look or act like a domestic or feral dog. I clapped and it stopped and looked then took off, Went into the woods so tailed it with the car and it went into the big field off McLemore rd. towards Allen's Landing. I've heard a few dog fights late at night but thought they were with a coyote pack, maybe it was this guy?

Anyone else see it around that can confirm? Gold color looked like a lanky lab mutt, but with muddy or mangy spots. Seen around Cleveland School immediate area.

2. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

This is the 1st I have heard of a Carolina Dog and I'm an older NC native. You can bet I'll be looking for them and continuing to research this great new subject. Thanks

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I thought Wolfpack's Tuffy had killed all "Carolina" dogs!

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I think of the Plott hound as the carolina dog

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I saw a Coyote on NC 50 near Mt Zion Church (field just north) on Sunday morning. We have a lot of woods nearby, but I've been here since 2003 and never saw one before.

6. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

It must have escaped from Wake County, which has the most Coyote sighting in NC.

7. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

No. We have lots also.

8. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are plenty of Coyotes and foxes around. I never did see that Carolina dog after that original post.