Complete 540 Project Visualization - from NCDOT Feb 2018

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JustMe, Feb 21, 2018.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

at 540/40 construction area, you can start to see the on /off ramp grading taking shape.

panthersdude2001 likes this.
  2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Looks like they really did some more clearing on the south side of 70 right by 40, Probably at least another month or two before we start to see any bridge girders go up over 40.

3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Still no word on what the 40/540/70 interchange is going to look like? I went all through the project documents on the DOT's site, and still nothing new. Just plans that (judging by the construction) are obviously out of date.

4. jesse82nc

I asked the DOT engineer about it, and he did say it was modified. I asked twice for updated plans and he never responded. Maybe I will ask again.

5. jesse82nc

Reached out to another engineer, finally got a response. Looks like everything existing is going away.

540-70-40_new.jpg

Smithers likes this.
  6. markfnc

Thanks! I guess they couldn't do the tie ins with current ramps.
    How far to the right, on the map, will this contract go? I know the phase heading towards Knightdale is years off.

7. jesse82nc

Original maps show it just past the interchage.

upload_2020-8-5_7-30-52.png

8. markfnc

thanks that's what i figured, it'll look just like where 540 ends at 64 bypass now and where 540 ends at NC 55 in holly springs.

9. markfnc

I was on Sunset Lake Rd yesterday. new 540 crosses it twice in a short distance. Making real good progress that way. Cleared as far as you can see both ways, and rough grading started.

panthersdude2001 likes this.
  10. jesse82nc

Here's a good one for you. The light tan is what they do not plan to build as part of the current contract, Only the gray.

540-70-40_new2.jpg

Smithers and markfnc like this.
  11. jesse82nc

I am very curious what is happening around Rhodes Rd and Deer Meadow Dr. Both of which were supposed to be closed permanently in the original plan. This would leave half of Deer Meadow Dr. cut off from the outside. Also there were dozens of homes and trails in those areas that were in the path.

This is between Bells Lake Rd. and Johnson Pond Rd. Just south of Ten Ten Rd.

roads.jpg

12. markfnc

jesse82nc likes this.
  13. jesse82nc

They are working on the overpasses at NC540/US70/I40 over the next 2 weeks, several closures around there overnight lately.

540-70-40_progress.jpg

14. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Progress being made on the East Garner and Rock Quarry rd crossings...looks like storm drain or sewage lines going in...solid pipe being bore underneath. But still nowhere near wide enough for all the lanes.

15. jesse82nc

540 doesn't actually cross Rock Quarry, so I am little confused as to where you mean? Do you mean the I-40 widening project?

16. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

It might be a section of that high pressure gas main being installed, that thing is covering miles and miles of distance. If the pipe seen out there is green and long steel pipe.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  17. sirputz

540 does cross Rock Quarry...6:10 of the visualization.

18. sirputz

Yeah it could be that. I may have just assumed it was 540 because of the location. Looking at the visual and overlaying that with Google maps, it's in the same place roughly.

19. jesse82nc

Technically you are correct, but they are not starting on that part of the construction until 2029/2030. They plan to award the contract in 2029 if there are no other delays. So anything you are seeing there today is unrelated to 540.

20. jesse82nc

Here's a pretty good newer map

540.jpg