New Development Activity in the area

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Aug 14, 2020.

1. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

That ship probably sailed !!!

panthersdude2001 likes this.
  2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

It did change a couple months ago to under contract on the sign on the property. Honestly I would take anything except another Food Lion here. With so many $400-500k+ houses (going off sales from 2019-2020, not values now) off Cornwallis and Winston, that area should be able to handle something better.

lawnboy and Rockyv58 like this.
  3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

True, I feel we have too many super wally worlds and food lions around. Would love to see a Publix, Harris Teeter or even a Wegmans come out our way now.

jesse82nc likes this.
  4. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

NextDoor runs amok with rumors! The person that started the most recent Publix rumor was well aware that a Food Lion was going in behind Sheetz at 42/50. They implied it was going on the other corner, where the propane containers are. I would have thought our resident experts here would have seen any permits if that was the case. So no, I don’t believe it for a minute either.

The Carlie C’s rumor was started a long time ago and it was to take place when the FL closed down during the 40/42 widening project. I think it will probably still happen but that’s still a couple of years off. But, the FL manager covered himself very well in his statement unless one reads between the lines. Only time will tell but with what they are going to do to that area it just doesn’t make any sense to me for it to stay open, long term.

A FL going in at 42/Cornwallis has been another long term rumor. To my knowledge that has never been confirmed.

Back many years now, sometime around 2008/9 they were gettin ready to have a public hearing on reasoning a bunch of the vacant land on Cornwallis. Was going to be over 900+ new homes built on it. Then the bubble burst and they withdrew. I am really surprised that never came back up over the last couple of years!

lawnboy likes this.
  5. jesse82nc

It came up earlier this year and got denied again.

6. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

I think owners and developers have already made development inevitable along the stretch between 40 and 50 over the past 10 years by the seemingly-intentional "uglification" of the whole stretch. Driving past abandoned houses, overgrown industrial lots, cracking roads, massive Kudzu infestations, and decrepit (rotten) trailers and trailer parks, the only thing I think is for the love of all things holy, PLEASE speed up development over there. A 3-mile stretch of retail on a 4-lane divided-median road would do WONDERS for the aesthetic appeal of this corridor - even if it's more damn fast food!

To your other point, it's a shoulder-shrug exercise when you read "overheated housing market" and "the market will cool." I hope these self-proclaimed market prophets do understand nothing is leveling off in Apex or Holly Springs. Clayton and Fuquay are 5 years behind those, and Cleveland/Mcgees/South Garner are about 10 years behind those. Raleigh and Cary will not stop seeing strong appreciation. This area will be growing ABOVE those rates for minimum 25 more years. If you live in Northern or Western Johnston, unless you are dying to buy 100 acres and build your forever home, stay in place and let the unrealized profits marinate another decade.

DWK likes this.
  7. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

So silly. More evidence of how many people believe everything they hear on social media. The question is, who starts these rumors, and why? Some sort of fantasy game, along with the yearly ChikFila rumor, Six Flags over White Oak, yada yada.

8. jesse82nc

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2021/1...-creating-25-jobs-paying-125000-average-wage/

AdvanceTEC to invest $10M in Johnston County, creating 25 jobs paying $125,000 average wage

The cleanroon design, construction, and process integration company AdvanceTEC will construct a new facility and hire as many as 25 workers with average wages of $125,000 at a location near Clayton, the company announced today.

The $10 million facility will serve biotechnology companies in the Triangle as well as across the East Coast.

The privately-held company, founded in 2000, is headquartered in Richmond, Va. and will build its new facility on 12-acres of land in Johnston County between Smithfield and Clayton, according to a statement shared with WRAL TechWire by Chris Johnson, director of Johnston County Economic Development.

Located on 70 Business between Clayton and Smithfield.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.5644414!4d-78.3869158

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    BuzzMyMonkey and Hught like this.
  9. jesse82nc

https://jocoreport.com/500000-square-foot-office-building-could-create-up-to-2800-jobs/

Part of Lumen Project

500,000 Square Foot Office Building Could Create Up To 2800 Jobs

A proposed Clayton office building could create up to 2800 jobs once completed and fully occupied. Monday night, Johnston County Commissioners signed off on an economic development incentives grant with Davis Park Leasing LLC. The incentives package is contingent upon approved of a similar grant from the Town of Clayton.

Plans call for a minimum 500,000 square foot building on the northeast side of the NC 42 West, US70 Clayton Bypass interchange. It could potentially create a large number of jobs in the medical, technical or related field.

“Just like limited industrial space, Johnston County does not have any large scale Class A office space to offer to prospective clients that are considering the Triangle Region. In relation to Downtown Raleigh, the Davis Park is closer than any office facility in the Research Triangle Park (RTP),” said Chris Johnson, Director of Johnston County Economic Development.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.6245672!4d-78.5070538

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  10. jesse82nc

The developer has made good progress on the site work so far as well as the initial roads. Should see first houses going up in the Spring.

11. jesse82nc

Project Name: Riverwood Ranch Phases 1A-2D Minor Subdivision

Project Number: 2021-41-SDM

Project Description: Proposed 202 single family lot subdivision with overal density of 2.08 units per acre.

Location: Pritchard Road behind existing Riverwood Ranch townhomes

Parcel Number: 16I02026B

Applicant: David DeYoung/Hearth Pointe

Project Planner: Ben Paynter, Planner, 919-359-9350

Project Status: In Review

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.7000868!4d-78.4237075

12. jesse82nc

https://jocoreport.com/wilsons-mills-fire-department-purchases-ladder-truck/

Wilson’s Mills Fire Department Purchases Ladder Truck and Announces New Fire Station

WILSON’S MILLS – The Wilson’s Mills Fire Department (WMFD) has added a ladder truck to their fleet of emergency response vehicles. Fire Chief Bentley Powell said the department decided to purchase a used ladder truck to save taxpayers money. Powell said industrial and high density growth in the fire district prompted the need for the truck.

The 2004 Peirce Dash 100 foot ladder truck was previously owned by the Cary Fire Department. When Cary decided to upgrade to a new truck, the Wilson’s Mills Fire Department made an offer in September 2020. Chief Powell said he learned this spring they were the successful bidder. The truck was delivered over-the-summer and has been undergoing maintenance and a few upgrades.

Fire Station #3
    For now, Ladder 5 will be housed at the main fire station on Fire Department Road. However, plans are in the works to add a third fire station on a six acre tract of land on Gordon Road just off Highway 70. The department will lease the property from Novo Nordisk.

Station #3 will be constructed in two phases. Phase one is the construction of a maintenance building which should be completed by the Summer of 2022. It will serve as the temporary fire station number 3 until the main station #3 building can be completed. The main station will be constructed starting in late-2022 or early-2023.

In approximately two years when Station #3 in fully completed, Chief Powell said the department will hire full-time firefighters to staff all three stations 24-hours a day. Volunteers will still assist and respond to fire and first responder calls.

Station #3 will also improve response times in that section of the fire district.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.6092761!4d-78.4066644

13. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I moved out here back in 2000. Back then it was easy enough to make a left turn out on to Cleveland school road coming from any of the roads that link Polenta over to Cleveland school road. Now I find my self sitting 5 - 10 minutes just waiting to make a left turn. Now I've started to travel over to McLemore road just to get to the light so I can be able to head west on Cleveland school. My question is. Are there any plans in the works of adding more traffic lights on to Cleveland school road? Like maybe at Josephine? And to add a turn lane on Cleveland school to be able to make a left turn (facing west) on Cleveland School onto Watkins.

Also does any one know when they finish the new bridge over on Barber Mill, will Government road finally T intersection into it instead of Y intersection into it?

15. jesse82nc

Clayton approves $4.5M improvement project for the East Clayton Community Park. Part of the work to be completed is the installation of a new synthetic turf field for soccer.

Sherry A. and markfnc like this.
  16. jesse82nc

Lumen now called the Copper District has been fully rezoned and approved. Also annexed into the city limits of Clayton.

Part of the project includes a new large water tower near US70.

lumen.jpg

markfnc and BuzzMyMonkey like this.
  17. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Where is this biscuitville going? The one at 40/42?

We need one in Smithfield area

18. SonnyBoy

SonnyBoy Member

19. Boston Redhead

Boston Redhead Active Member

It’s already up; it’s on the left going toward FV.

There’s the kidney place at the corner of 42 and Cleveland, then Biscuitville, then a gas station, then Old Drug Store Road.

20. jesse82nc

A developer with an active presence in the Triangle is looking to bring more housing options to Johnston County.

Construction on Spinning Mill Lofts started last week with delivery expected by Q3 2023, said Thomas Taft Jr., principal at Greenville-based Taft Family Ventures. The apartment complex, located just southeast of downtown Clayton near Main Street, will include 255 units.

This project has long been in the works, as Taft said the land was closed on in 2018 back when Clayton was one of the fastest-growing places in the Greater Triangle – a trend that has only accelerated since then.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangl...YkiBOBe1GXh3v2mGj8487A1o0RYj-2YBrUsvF2A_m6Ob8

upload_2021-12-21_20-49-14.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...6ed008c75be2fc!8m2!3d35.6458823!4d-78.4495413