40/42 Interchange Construction

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

2. Wayne Stollings

Ya think?

3. Wayne Stollings

All "respectful" and "christian" people use initials to call people names instead of using the name ...right?

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Can't you guys keep all this political and off topic stuff in some other thread. Some people actually come here for information about what is going on in their neighborhood.

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I was at Burger King Sat night. Yesterday, Sunday, was their last day in business. The girl at the drive thru said with the 40/42 interchange construction about to start, they were closing for good. With the distance and complicated path to get in there from 40 and then back onto 40 it made no sense to stay open.

7. Wayne Stollings

Supposedly an Exxon station got a 1+million dollar settlement for a similar, but less severe impact due to road construction. I do not know the owners personally but heard the information from several people who did. Perhaps the franchise got enough of an offer to reset.

8. jesse82nc

Utility Easements.

Since there was recent discussion about this, I would move those questions to this thread.

Here is a legend for the colors on the NC DOT maps, not sure if that was posted elsewhere in the thread.

upload_2021-3-30_13-14-30.png

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  9. jesse82nc

Post #31 explains how to get in and out of McDonalds.
    http://forums.johnstoncounty.today/threads/40-42-interchange-construction.42270/page-2#post-773108

10. jesse82nc

Two ways to get out of Peddler's Village and go west
    Make a U-Turn at Technology or cut through Waffle House and CVS to make a right on Cleveland and then a Left on 42.
    2021-03-30_13-18-36.jpg

11. jesse82nc

That's a totally separate project that is not yet funded.

2021-03-30_13-23-32.jpg

2021-03-30_13-24-11.jpg 2021-03-30_13-25-21.jpg 2021-03-30_13-24-50.jpg

12. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

That's interesting, because they are clearly cutting trees and marking what I presume is power line relocation

13. jesse82nc

I believe this is the widening project - https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/nc-42-widening/Pages/default.aspx
    County: Johnston
    STIP Number: R-3410
    Estimated Cost: $117.4 million
    Start Date: Spring 2029
    Completion Date: TBD

I think what you are seeing is mostly just related to the 40/42 project.

14. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

From another thread...
    It looks like Technology Drive will have a double-left turn lane onto 42 East, and there's also a double-left turn lane from 42 East onto Technology Dr. And this is only a 3-point intersection. I think this intersection will move a lot more traffic than 42/Glen ever could have.

jesse82nc likes this.
  15. jesse82nc

The car wash and the old Triple Barrel are completely gone now. I didn't see any work being done further down 42 than Cleveland Draft House, which is about where this project ends.

I did hear in the latest Town of Clayton town council meeting that they are working with the NC DOT to move up the widening project along 42 from 40/42 to Business 70 in Clayton. But it might have just been the part around US 70 (Clayton Bypass) due to the new large Lumen project over there.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  16. markfnc

I was wondering if during the tear down of the Triple Barrel, if any signs of the original "drug store" could be seen? It has been in its current configuration since i moved here in 2003, and wasn't sure if the old original drug store bldg. was added onto over the years, or was torn down, and the bldg. that was just removed was relatively "new". Any old timers know?

17. markfnc

The new NC 42 bridge over I40 opened Sunday morning. I was there Saturday night; it was a bit crazy. you had people on the old bridge, as you were supposed to, some coming off I 40 accidently had got on the new bridge and following the truck painting the lines. Some also coming on new bridge coming right at truck painting lines. People couldn't figure out how to get on 40 making U turns etc. Probably should have had a sheriff on each side directing traffic. the cones were down to get the paint stripe truck in there. on new bridge.

And Sunday after church going on new bridge, things were better but getting onto I 40 looked like people were still struggling with that. Cars on 42 east were turning left and right to get onto 40 west.

18. markfnc

Jesse I heard most of the peddlers village 42 streetside were being tore down. They didn't have the green like triple barrel had . had you seen an update on this?

19. jesse82nc

I had not heard anything about that. I knew they were losing a lot of their parking lot though. I do see that "CLEVELAND VILLAGE LLC" purchase the property 10 days ago though. It also shows the new property lines on GIS now.

I did go through the interchange Sunday afternoon, seemed easy enough with the new bridge. Hopefully they get the old one torn down and replaced pretty quickly.

20. Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf Member

Lots of work going on at the old Burger King. The colors look a lot like Popeye's Chicken. Any news about who is moving in?

Rockyv58 likes this.