40/42 Interchange Construction

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Lots of little changes, it seems.
    • The left turn from 42E to Cleveland Rd was a single turn lane, but the new plan has a double left turn.
    • Same for the left turn from 42W to Old Drug Store Rd.
    • An additional lane was added to 42E between ODS and Cleveland Rd.
    • Roads that were going to be untouched in the original plans are now showing "roads to be resurfaced" (like Commerce Pwky, Glen Rd, Technology Dr).

markfnc and UsrNmsSuk like this.
  2. UsrNmsSuk

UsrNmsSuk Member

The right of way now cuts through more of the lot where the dealership and bar sit at the corner of 42 and CSR. Plus the way they are changing to what appears to be a cul-de-sac where the ODS cut through currently exists and the new Pierce rd connection, makes me think they are forward thinking about potential development for the open area on the southern part of the image.

markfnc likes this.
  3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

all new lights are in. i guess next step is to take down old poles where old lights hang from to start widening etc.

4. Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf Member

From a pure traffic relief standpoint, I would have thought they would finish the Cleveland Rd/I40 interchange before they started the work on 42. On the Cleveland Rd. bridge, I have noticed they have the bridge ready except for girders. Wing walls, piers, and pier caps are all set, but no girders. Must be having delivery issues.

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Dear Guys Working on the i40 lane expansion in Johnston County,

How's it going? I only ask because I recently started commuting to Raleigh for a brief consulting position and noticed that you've been going at it for 4 years now and the same traffic jams occur at the same locations because there aren't any new lanes that you're supposed to be adding?

Now I realize that the DOT has been making false promises to us Johnson County residents on i40 lane improvements since Jesus was a private in the Christian army. But I've noticed on some days you're actually not doing anything? Is it possible you've grown bored with the project? I would certainly understand. I've got more than a few projects at home that I've ignored. Of course, when I blow off my work a hundred thousand commuters aren't, how shall we say ..... fornicated. (Hey! Maybe we should call it the i4-nication Freeway?) Regardless, I just want you to know I'm rooting for you to complete your Herculean task and cut the ribbon on what will undoubtedly be a meaningless effort to relieve traffic that has already outgrown your 6 year old plans.

I'd like to offer a few suggestions. From my untrained eye, you appear to be understaffed. Perhaps you might consider hiring a few thousand more workers and run around the clock shifts? Instead of, you know, just when you feel like it. And finally, I need to ask a small favor. Several times a week I crawl along the I 4-nication with a bladder that is ready to burst. How about we work out a deal where bladder challenged drivers get to pull over and share your port-a-potties? We'll repay you by leaving fresh magazines for you to read while you're working in there?

(Borrowed (and modified) from Loren Michael's / Big Bang Salutations.) It fit the i40 expansion work like a glove.

6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

Who is their right mind would hire you for a consulting job?

7. markfnc

I go from 40/42 to RTP every day. I never go 40 (from exit 312 to Raleigh). I go NC 50 to Timber Dr/Hammond Rd to 40.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    ddrdan and BuzzMyMonkey like this.
  8. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

When I would go that way I took 42 to 55 to 540 to 55 or old 147 now 885.

9. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what a forum stalker with no sense of humor looks like.

panthersdude2001 likes this.
  10. markfnc

I'd go that way in reverse on the way home pre covid. Still takes about an hour, but generally moving the whole way. Sometimes take Sunset Lake Rd to Fuquay instead of 55

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  11. markfnc

They have started tearing down, at least a section of the peddler's village.

12. jesse82nc

I saw some photos of that recently.

upload_2022-11-4_13-1-37.png

13. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

What store got torn down there?

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Whatever the last 3 stores closest to Bojangles were, didn't one of them used to be Monkey Ink tattoo? The craft beer store is now the last store in the strip. They had a post on their FaceBook page, they are supposed to be getting a few more parking spaces at the end of the building, since they are losing parking spaces in the front. They've posted more picture on their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/42craftbeverage

Rockyv58 and BuzzMyMonkey like this.
  15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

next stupid question. Why were they torn down? How does it affect the new interchange?

16. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

See post 113 in this thread. With the U-turn being added to NC 42, the road will come right up to where the building currently is. There's probably not even enough room to make the road with the building in the way.

Of course, it's not really the I-40/NC-42 interchange itself, but it's part of the same project.

17. jesse82nc

Here's a map of that new intersection. NC 42 is expanding by 1 full through lane in the area, plus adding a bunch of new turn lanes and a median.

2022-11-07_7-22-13.jpg

18. markfnc

For those that haven't been by, the demo part is about where the right of way (green) comes closest to bldg., up and to the left are now gone.

19. markfnc

any longtime residents know when that peddler's village bldg. was built? back in 94/95 +/- a group of us driving from Raleigh to Ft Bragg everyday would meet and park at the 404/42 Food Lion, taking turns driving. it was there then. There wasn't much except Food Lion shopping center and that. During that time many of other places were built. can't remember what was there and wasn't. Shell was a Texaco

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  20. markfnc

Talked to GC. both ends coming down. adding parking on each end as they lose parking by road. Elevation on remaining will be upgraded.