County Mistakenly Posts Personal Taxpayer Info Online

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Nov 27, 2006.

1. frugalmomoftwo

frugalmomoftwo Well-Known Member

I placed the fraud alert with Equifax yesterday and I checked my credit online with Experian this morning with no difficulty. Either the info has not yet been sent to the other 2 agencies regarding the fraud alert or we are still able to check credit. Not sure of the answer.

2. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

hmmm, it wouldnt let me get mine on any of them this morning.

3. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

It must have been jammed up this morning, I just tried again and it let me get it.. thanks

4. frugalhsmom

frugalhsmom Member

Credit report

Once a year you can get a free credit report here as well:

www.annualcreditreport.com

This may be easier than the hoops that some of them require you to jump through.

5. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

Equifax has a Credit Watch Gold that will cover up to 20k of fraud. It is 9.95 a month for a minimum of 3 months.

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Had the letter...and have misplaced it...can anyone offer a toll free humber from their letter to any of the three agencies. I gather that the one you notify is supposed to contact the other 2.

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Equifax 800-525-6285
    Experian 888-397-3742
    TransUnionCorp 800-680-7289

8. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion are three competing companies. Your arrangements with one do not effect the other two companies. (And your credit reports may differ among the three.)

9. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Did anyone else get anything from their bank? We got a letter saying our bank cards were compromised and they shut them down and gave us new ones... (both my husbands and mine)

10. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Not me. Did they know how they were compromised?

11. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

The letter was very vague. It said it was through no fault of their own?? I will call tomorrow and ask. I was wondering if it was connected with this whole mess, or if it is a separate mess. :lol:

12. tawiii

tawiii Guest

I hope it is from some other mess and not this mess. Keep us posted.

13. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I will. I don't need two messes, one is enough! :wink:

14. tawiii

tawiii Guest

True, but if it is related to this mess than it could really end up being a huge mess.

15. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Twice in the past our bank issue new debit cards because their was an issue on their side. It was a safety precaution.

16. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

How could it be related to the tax office? Do they even have your credit card numbers? I think it's just a coincidence that it happened at about the same time. Credit cards can be compromised by someone getting into the bank's records, but much more frequently it's someone getting into the records of a business that takes credit cards. It could be any place you've used your credit cards lately, either online or a brick and mortar store.