Local Childcare

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ctygrlnthecntry, Jan 22, 2007.

1. I am due with my first child in March of this year and was wondering if any other moms out there could recommend a daycare center or someone who keeps children in their home. I am open to either one. I appreciate any suggestions - Thanks!

2. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Ctygrl, love the User Name:-D

3. rcmommy

rcmommy Well-Known Member

Whatever you choose to do make sure that you do "unannounced" visits to centers/in homes before hand. That way you get to see their routine without the prep for a potiential customer...it's more reliable. I've only used family and in home daycare. I had a great experience with in home and a bad experience. The good experience was with someone who was licensed and followed regulations. The bad experience was "someone just watching" kids in the home. You also need to get the ball rolling since most places have a waiting list that can be several months long. Especially the desired places.
    Ones that have high praises in the area have been
    Little stepping stones
    Building Blocks

One that rings a bell that got a big don't go there was A Child's Place.

Good luck! :)

4. Kaci - Thanks for the welcome - I've been an on-looker for quite sometime - but love the site and felt I could get some great advice from some moms on here!

RCM - Thanks for the advice! I have looked at Little Stepping Stones (the owners actually live in my neighborhood) - We aren't going to have to place our little one anywhere until August (great maternity leave and family willing to step in for a while) so I'm trying to not stress to much about it :)

How about any suggestions on pediatricians in the area? Anybody go to Raleigh Pediatrics of Garner?

5. samsaunt

samsaunt Member

Little Stepping Stones is wonderful! Get on their waiting list now. My daughter was on it for about 6 months before she got a spot. She has learned so much there already and she is only 20 months!

6. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

Hi ctygrl - my little one is due in May :) Babies are just too much fun :)

I'm planning on using an in home daycare in my neighborhood. However, my son did go to building blocks when he was 4 & 5 years old. That's been a while back (He's in the 2nd grade now). Although it's been a while since we've been to Building Blocks - My son really enjoyed his time there. I have many friends & neighbors who have bragged about the great care their children have received at Little Stepping Stones also.

As far as Raleigh Pediatrics of Garner is concerned - I love them. Unfortunately, they are no longer planning to accept my insurance (Cigna) after March so I am currently searching for a new pediatrician also :(

7. rcmommy

rcmommy Well-Known Member

Raleigh Peds in Garner...luv them!!! luv them!!! luv them!!! We've never taken our kids anywhere else! Even when they didn't accept our insurance anymore (thankfully they do now) we still took our kids there. It was worth the out of pocket payment to know that we had excellent care.

Good luck!

8. SSM258

SSM258 Well-Known Member

Love Raleigh Peds in Garner. We have been there for about 6 years now. Good luck with childcare. Like RCMommy said go in for visits unannounced. That way you get a good feel of the place.

9. rjfields

rjfields Well-Known Member

Try KIDS R KIds I think it is the best one around. Used JMH Early Learning Center when the wife and I worked for the hospital and did not like the director. Moved on to LSS when we both were done working for the hospital and can only say that they were not what we were used to and moved on. KRK is a little on the high side but the quality of care is great and I really like the staff. Also the ablitiy to see my little guy on the internet while I am at work is a nice added touch.

10. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Pediatricians

We go to Jeffers Mann and Artmann in Clayton (359-3500). I love Dr. Jeffers. It also goes by the name of Clayton Pediatrics.

11. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

Little Stepping Stones gets my vote. Both of my kids go there and the staff is always nice to me when i make my unannounce visits there to check over the kids when I can

12. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I'm using Raleigh Peds for my newborn and so far I've been very pleased.

13. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Well-Known Member

what is so wrong with A Child's Place?
    i live right near there and it always seems like it is full, but every time i hear anything about child care on this board somebody always says to avoid the place.
    just wondering why it is so bad....

also, i can't recommend child care because i have never used any myself, but my kids have been going to Garner Pediatrics for the last 8 years and i have never had a bad experience....the doctors are very helpful and you can always get an appointment when you need them.

14. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

We also use Raleigh Pediatrics in Garner (after getting recommendations from this board!) and love it there. We see Dr. Hunt - she is awesome!

15. ShrtnSwt

ShrtnSwt Well-Known Member

The staff isn't as nice as other places I have seen and it smells every single time I have been in there. I think the reason it stays so full is b/c everything else is packed and has a waiting list and I think it might be a little less expensive. Just my 2 cents.

16. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

We do. Can't say enough about them. Been there my whole daughter's life. Wouldn't leave.

Frogger

17. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

I popped in there unannounced yesterday. They were very sweet, treat you like one of the family.

Frogger

18. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

My son (5 years old) goes to KRK in Clayton. My SIL watched him in home until he was 2 1/2 and then he went to public daycare/preschool. We liked Parks Preschool but it is now closed. We LOVE KRK!

19. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

We also go to Jeffers Mann and Artmann in Clayton and we see Dr. Overcash. He is very sweet and very patient with the girls.

20. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

Raleigh Peds - Garner Office

I LOVE Raleigh peds garner office. I switched my son from another pediatrician after they placed me on hold for a 'sick' visit and came back after 15 minutes and said they could not see him until the next afternoon!?? I called Raleigh Peds and they saw him within a few hours!! We see Dr. Hunt and she is wonderful. My son received two shots at his 4 year checkup and didn't even phase him!! She is excellent with children and I will not go anywhere else. I agree with the other person, if they quit accepting my insurance I would still go! It is worth it! I live in Benson, but drive there for the wonderful care my son receives!!