Winows Media Player & mp3s

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by froggerplus, Feb 18, 2007.

1. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

After struggling with this on my own, I'm about to throw my computer thru a window!

I have 3 songs that were emailed to me in mp3 format. They open in Windows Media Player. I need to put them on a CD. I *think* I have them converted over to .wma format but cannot burn them to a CD. It's been very frustrating!

Would someone who is experienced with this walk me thru? You can PM me if needed. I'll be home late afternoon if someone is willing to walk me thru on the phone.

Thanks!
    Frogger

2. froggerplus

Is there no one who knows Windows Media Player?

3. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

What do you want to do with them?

Save them? Listen to them on a regular stereo?

4. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Windows Media Player uses a license certificate that is embedded in the MP3 file to determine what it will allow you to do with it. For example, I have purchased a lot of music over the years from BuyMusic.com. The files are downloaded in .wma format, and also includes the license, which is different for each artist. For example, a song may allow you to burn it to a cd 5 times, copy it to an MP3 player 10 times and copy it to another computer once.

I haven't used Media Player to burn any CD's from MP3 formats that have been converted to .wma, so it's just a guess that the problem may be it is looking for a license and not finding it.

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Need a little info first:

What O/s are you using? (XP, 2000, etc..)
    Open Win Media player click on "help" then "about". Give the version number here.
    What CD burning software is on your PC? Do the same process as above and give the version and name here.

Is there a reason your using the media player to burn the CD? That's the hard way?? Windoze media ia anything but easy.

6. froggerplus

Sorry, sorry. Forgot to give specifics :oops:...

I'm running XP, says Windows Media Player 10. I need to pull the music to a regular CD because it's for an event and they need to be able to play it from the CD. Using CD-R. I have no clue about CD buring software, just that I've always been able to burn a CD from RealPlayer and now have to do it from WMP.

The files were emailed to me in mp3 format and automatically opened in WMP, that and the fact that the event person needs it in .wma ia the reason I'm using WMP.

Thanks!

Btw, webbie, I'll check the certificate info...

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Search your "Programs" you should have a CD burn software like Nero, or Roxio that came with the PC. Open it and try the burn.

8. froggerplus

Thanks again, ya'll, for all the info. I didn't get a chance to do it last night. Will work on it tonite and *cross your fingers* have a CD tomorrow!

I'll let ya know.
    Frogger

9. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

Ditto. You should be able to select "audio CD" and then drag and drop MP3s and it will burn them as cd audio, cda.

10. wee3girlz

wee3girlz Guest

My experience with Media Player

Hey Froggerplus, I am not sure if you have solved the problem you were having with burning the CD. I have found that with media player I first have to go in and rip the song to my computer and after that is complete then burn the song. Pay attention to where you have set the program to rip your songs to.
    Hope this helps!

11. MelloTofer

MelloTofer Well-Known Member

my suggestion

get a better media player.

i find windows media player to be the worst mp3/media program ever.

i've used musicmatch for years now and never have problems burning anything.

just a thought. good luck though

12. froggerplus

wee3,

Nope, still have the problem. I feel so dumb not being able to do this :evil: ! I'm going to work on it again tonite.

Meanwhile, the friend who emailed the songs to me burned a CD, thankfully, but I still want to be able to do it myself.

Frogger

13. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Download Winamp. Will solve all of your issues.

14. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I use Nero which is awesome but expensive to just burn CD's. Winamp is free but the free version burns and rips at slower rates than the paid version. In my experience slower sometimes is better on a rip or burn. Sometimes I have received glitches in the CD if I burn to fast. Burning Data for storage is different but for an MP3 slower is better.