Simply Mepis

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by JC-native, Mar 10, 2007.

1. JC-native

JC-native Well-Known Member

I'm trying to run Simply Mepis 6.0. I'm booting from the CD. I'm using an old Pentium II IBM 300GL with a new hard drive and a 52x CD ROM that I've never had trouble with. I have a blank partition I can use for installation. No matter which boot selection I choose (normal or minimal) I get this problem:

Found MEPIS Linux at /dev/hdc
    Mouning MEPIS filesystem... mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on /linux failed: Invalid argument
    Done.
    Can't startup filesystem
    Halting...

The last 2 lines are red. I burned a 2nd CD just to make sure it wasn't a bad CD. I can't find any help online. Anyone got a clue?

2. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Just curious... what did you connect your CD-Rom with? Is it an old 40 pin cable, or the newer 80 pin IDE cable? (The 40 pins tend to look a little older and more textured on the wires, where as 80's are generally smoother and more finished looking.)

For the record, that old of a MoBo should be using the 40 pin cable. Only give it about a 25% chance of being your problem... but I've seen them do some weird stuff to systems, especially anything on the IDE controller (even if it is on separate cables.)

3. JC-native

I'm using a 40 pin cable. It runs every CD I have just fine.

4. JC-native

No I didn't. How do I do that? I know what it does and I saw the checksum file, but I don't know how to use it.

Side note:
    As long as people are faced with cryptic looking lists of download sites and mirror sites with weird looking names - then clicking on one brings you to a long unintelligible list of files for downloading - Linux will take a LONG time getting on people's desktops. Its as if Linux users want to keep it a secret for nerds. :lol: Why doesn't anyone have a site for dummy's with big buttons that say "click here to download Disk Image 1", etc.

5. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

If we did that, you wouldn't have to come to us for help. And then what would we do for a life!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Nerds and dummy's is a symbiotic relationship.

7. JC-native

How true that is. ;)

Pirate, the site you linked to is exactly what I'm talking about. Look at this mess:

FC-6-i386-disc1.iso
    FC-6-i386-disc2.iso
    FC-6-i386-disc3.iso
    FC-6-i386-disc4.iso
    FC-6-i386-disc5.iso
    FC-6-i386-rescuecd.iso
    SHA1SUM

There are a lot of people who might like to see what Linux is all about, but have no clue what that list is. Its written in nerd language. :lol:

8. H3xKing

H3xKing Well-Known Member

If you are just interested in getting familiar with linux to see if it is for you, you may want to check out some of the bootable distros that only require you to burn them to a CD or put them on a USB drive.

such as http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

This will allow you to play with various versions of linux to find one you like.

you can google "Live Linux Distributions"

or check out this site http://www.tech-faq.com/bootable-linux-distributions.shtml

this is a good one also http://www.vnunet.com/pc-magazine/features/2133631/linux-live-kicking-part

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  9. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

what is so hard about an iso. If that is a problem
    1) Use a live cd that boots Linux from the cdrom
    2) visit a Linux user group and get a cd already made for you
    3) Order a cd from somebody already made

10. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

He asked about a site that had easy instructions. That is one I know of. Sorry as we will always disagree in this respect. Red Hat is still the leader in Linux.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  11. H3xKing

I just downloaded and tried it myself. Get the same message. It appears that the file may be corrupt.

You can try one of the other live disks, or an earlier version of simplyMepis

12. H3xKing

I used the virginia mirror.
    The file was v6.0.

I have DSL on a 1Gb usb drive, as well as knoppix and a couple of others on bootable CDs.

My system dualboots winblows xp and fedora.

13. JC-native

Thanks Ken. The checksums didn't agree. Yes I made sure I was comparing the right ones. Its a corrupt file. I used the Virginia mirror too. Maybe that's the problem. I'll try again, or I'll try some other distros.

Its not that hard for me. I'm just saying I think one of the reasons more people haven't tried Linux and Windows is still so popular despite its cost and many flaws, is that most people can't get past the hurdle of installation. Most run of the mill computer users are going to see this:

FC-6-i386-disc1.iso
    FC-6-i386-disc2.iso
    FC-6-i386-disc3.iso
    FC-6-i386-disc4.iso
    FC-6-i386-disc5.iso
    FC-6-i386-rescuecd.iso
    SHA1SUM

- and just hit the "Close" button. All of these sites are the same way. They are not user-friendly, they are nerd-friendly. Many of the sites are line after line of plain text - hours of reading. I think sometimes computer geeks forget how intimidated the average user is.

14. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

To check the iso do the following commmand:
    md5sum /*full path to downloaded iso*
    (full path means type the exact directory location of the file)

To check the burned cd-rom, put it in the drive but do not mount it. Then, assuming that /dev/cdrom is your drive do the following command:
    md5sum /dev/cdrom

If the image is bad, download again. If the cd is bad, burn again at a slow speed