VPN preference or recommendations?

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by appcomm, Mar 14, 2007.

1. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Fellow computer dudes - about to start on a project that requires implementing a VPN. Has been a while since I checked out the market - any solutions that you are using that you like that don't cost an arm and a leg?

TIA for any recommendations.

2. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

OpenVPN

Always hear good things about openvpn. I assume you will have Windows clients, which it can handle. I know Steve Gibson was talking about putting a guide up on configuring it. May want to check out the security now podcast and hear his take on the options for vpn's.

3. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

The Windows VPN is very easy to set up and configure. I actually have it set up at home, and had never done a VPN set up prior.

Through work, we use the Cisco client, which works well... but we're phasing it out for a "clientless" VPN by Jupiter Networks. (Really nice, web based, and can be configured to run applications like Outlook... but we're using it more for Remote Desktop to the users internal machine.)

4. appcomm

Update - after much review (including OpenVPN) I narrowed down the choice to offerings from Juniper Networks and Sonicwall. After reading reviews and trying demo's - and shopping around for price, we are going with the Sonicwall SSL-VPN 2000. It's main job will be to provide network file access and running a web app on the local intranet, and seems to be well suited for the job. Of course, the real test is when it arrives and we fire it up and configure it!

The attractive prices and good reviews on the Sonicwall won out over the open source possibilites.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  5. appcomm

Will do. Placed the order today so should have it in and running within 2 weeks.

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

With a VPN you get what you pay for. Be careful.

7. appcomm

Update: Sonicwall SSL-VPN 2000 arrived, installed and running. So far I am pleased with the performance (using it for file shares and to access a custom web based app that we developed in-house). Setup is pretty straightforward and the admin portion is also clean and easy to use. Lots of custom settings to increase security - such as limited access if logging in from an unknown (not trusted) remote network, customizable profiles, one-time temporary passwords, etc. Overall I'm happy with it at this point.

The best part is not having to mess around with loading a VNP client on each PC I want to access it - the SSL method is very easy to use and roll out to users.....just point them to an URL and give them their login!

Last edited: May 7, 2007