How old ?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by turtlepits, Mar 28, 2007.

1. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I was wondering what you guys thought on this.

How old is too old for a child to take a shower/bath with their parent?

2. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

^^^Sounds good to me. Logical.

3. comets

comets Guest

????????????????? Why at any age would a child take a shower/bath with their parents. Both would be naked?

4. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Do you have children?

5. turtlepits

That's my thing! I have a 10 and 8 year old and they told me when they go to their dads every other weekend, their dad makes them take a shower with him. IT UPSETS ME!! My kids have NEVER seen their stepfather or myself naked.I thought I should say something to him and was wondering if I was making a good decision.

6. comets

comets Guest

Put a stop to this! Immediately!!!

I would absolutely say something to him and maybe even to the authorities. A father making a 8 and 10 year old take shower/baths with him is a danger sign!!!!

7. turtlepits

Good. That's what I was thinking! I didn't want him to say I was just trying to be a B***h. I see it as a BIG no,no.

They said their 5 year old half brother takes a shower with his mom. I'm all about saving water, but it seems too creepy for me!

8. BigBob

BigBob Well-Known Member

I agree that 8 and 10 are too old to be showering with an adult. Ken's logic makes sense to me - when they are old enough to do things themselves, they should do it themselves!

9. comets

comets Guest

Call your Pediatrician!

Call your Pediatrician. Ask him your question and ask him what steps you should take to protect your children.

10. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

I took showers with my son when he was a baby. Quick and efficient. I quit taking showers with him once he started "noticing" stuff which was around a year and half old. Now that he is older he will shower by himself - with me or his father on the outside helping to make sure all the shampoo is out and all is squeaky! And now with my daughter I take showers with her for the same reason... quick and efficient.

And yes both would be naked - that's the point of a shower.

turtle... I don't think that would be being a "female dog" :) expressing to your ex-hubby that that should not happen would be a very reasonable "request".

11. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

This seems like a safety issue also. Being in a shower with a baby? Soapy baby would be slippery. Holding the baby and bathing them would require extra, extra care. If you slip getting out you fall with the baby in your arms. My wife or I never did this with our three children.

12. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

True - but baby's don't really need more than water to clean off. I clean hair and rub the shampoo around their necks to get the "milk neck" gone and that's about it. I don't use soap all over their bodies to avoid diaper rash and such.

And just so people won't worry about the safety of my child(ren) I wash first so my dirty germs won't get on them and my soap isn't good for their skin (like I said they don't really need soap) She waits playfully on the outside of the shower watching the water fall down the shower curtain. She doesn't endure the entire shower with me.

13. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

how dare you

You are a bad mother...........j/k

14. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

What is wrong with a child seeing their parent naked? I mean when they are babies, I wouldn't want my 12 yr old son seeing me naked for sure, but when he was a baby, so what?! My 2 yr old daughter is a whole different story, I could care less if she does, we are both female. Now if my ex-husband told our 9 yr old to shower with him, a big ole flag would go up there and we would have some major problems!

15. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

I say 3 or 4. That is my opinion.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I would have to say 3 or 4 as well with the parent of the same sex...............I wouldn't get all crazy about it though, I have read that a lot of families think that is normal. The question would be, are your son's comfortable with it or are they being forced to do it against their will....................that should tell you a lot. Is this a recent development, or is it something they've always done???:confused:

My son is almost 8, he pretty much does everthing alone, I just check behind the ears to make sure he's done a good job, LOL!

17. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

My daughters still loves taking their bath with their daddy....he does wear his bathing shorts. He is trying to break away from doing it because they getting older and bigger so there isn't much room when you have a 6'2 in the tub. Don't ask how he does it but they manage.

18. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Please tell me that your daughter is not 6'2".... Pretty sure they are not, but some of us do not know the age of your daughters

19. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

Oh No....lol I am sorry

My husband is 6'2 and my daughters are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 years old.

again I am sorry if I alarmed some of you.