Any tips for saving on fish?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Animal lover, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

To try to control my weight and cholesterol, I've been advised to eat more fish. I like it, so that's not the problem. However, the cost is discouraging me. I can get chicken parts for 99 cents a pound, or less. And yesterday, pork roast was on sale at Lowe's, also for 99 cents a pound. But fish fillets (NOT the breaded stuff) is running 4.99 - 8.99 a pound.

Does anyone know of a place to buy cheaper, FRESH fish?

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I buy salmon at BJ's. :mrgreen:

3. Animal lover

Can't find BJ's in the phone book? Where is it? Is it a discount store where you need a membership? How much is the membership? Aprox how much do you pay for the salmon? (Sorry for so many questions. I'm not much of a shopper.)

4. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

You can shop as a guest of a a member if you don't want to join. If you have a good size freezer, maybe you can go with someone and stock up from time to time. I'm a member... you're welcome to go with me anytime. :)

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I have a trial membership to BJ's/ Its at Whiteoak near PetSMart. I would be glad to meet you there so you can look around and get what you need.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Buy a fishing license!

Seems stupid but might be great for the side benefits, of course it has been about 20 years since I tried it. 8)

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

If you only have the trial membership there is usually a 5% mark-up at the register. Usually its in the very fine print of the coupon or offer.

8. Animal lover

While I've never tried those stores, I always assumed buying a membership would not be a value for me. I shop for one, have no family, have no freezer, don't buy in bulk. Guess I'll stick with tuna sandwiches.

9. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Hey sweetie~

I have a membership to BJ's also. You wanna shop when I'm making a trip, just let me know. We can meet up there at White Oak. I like BJ's better than Sam's because I don't have to buy in such bulk. For just one person, Sam's isn't worth it anymore. BJ's still is.

Frogger

10. PirateGirl

I looked at my last receipt and it doesn't have a mark up....maybe they stopped doing that because I do recall that when they first opened.

11. Animal lover

What did you think of the place after your trial? Selection? Prices? Size of offerings? Are you going to join?

12. PirateGirl

Honestly, I like Sam's better. I do agree about being able to buy in a smaller quantity than Sam's, but Sam's seems to have more of the things I use. Prices seems to be good, especially on my Airwick plug-in thingies. A 2 pack at Wal-mart is about $5.50 and I got 1 unit and 5 refills at BJ's for under $8. I buy all of my vitamins there and they have good prices on those. My offer still stands about making a trip up there for you to check it out. :)

13. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

I like fresh seafood from Earps Fish Market off South Saunders St in Raleigh. Mrs. Earp is very nice and they have reasonable prices and very very fresh fish!!!!

14. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

Tarheel Seafood - Flowers Plantation.

Right on time.

15. JC-native

JC-native Well-Known Member

Tarheel was WAY too expensive for me. Tuna is okay once in a while, but you are supposed to go easy on the large fish. Being predator fish, they collect more mercury. Sardines are high in Omega 3, low in mercury, and only a few cents a can. A little Franks hot sauce and a cracker and mmmm you've got a great snack. Walmart usually has wild Alaskan salmon, one whole side frozen for about $5-$7. I don't buy farm raised.

16. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

Not saying that Wal-Mart or Sams or BJ's etc are bad in any way. I just dont know how long their fish has been "out of the water", so to speak. I dont mind paying extra for fish that i know was at home just a day or so ago.

17. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

You want real fresh fish the grab your poles and head to Wilmington, Thats what I call Fresh fish

18. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

I guess that would rid of having to clean them or cut them up, you will already have nice fish fillets