Raleigh South?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Stinger_6, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Stinger_6

Stinger_6 Well-Known Member

I got a little behind in my reading this last week so I wasn't able to get to the Cleveland Post until this morning. When I open it up to page 2A, I saw this editorial by Fred Bonner. I usually don't read him because I'm not into his "Hey Bob, ya think there's any bears in this cave?" type of stories. But this one was titled "The Raleigh South area will always be home". I thought Raleigh South? What the heck is that? So I read the story and it was basically about the time Fred spent around the Cleveland area when he was growing up...except Fred kept calling it Raleigh South. As I was reading I kept thinking "Where is this Raleigh South mess coming from? I've never heard it called that."

Anyway, I finish the story and continue through the paper, disappointed that there was no hard-hitting column from the GAPO on some relatives kid's first tooth or what she and Mr. Wonderful are planning for The Fourth. After finishing the "main body" of the paper, I saw that there was another section...it's called "Raleigh South Connections". Again with the "Raleigh South"?

So what's going on here? I hate to get into some conspiracy theory, but what's the paper trying to tell us? Are we getting ready to be annexed or something? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to call the 40/42 area "Raleigh South" when it's not even in the same county as Raleigh. If we're going to associate ourselves with a city, I'd much rather we call ourselves "Wilmington West".

It just seems very odd to me that John Cate is going out of his way to push this phrase "Raleigh South" down his reader's throats. Yea, I know; I'm not exactly the CP's biggest fan and usually the paper is more about the real Raleigh South (aka Garner) than it is about us, but this just seems a little sinister to me.

Any idea as to what's going on?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  2. boo_radley21

boo_radley21 Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in Clayton, and minus 8 yrs on the West Coast, I've always been here. I've never heard of Raleigh South. I did a quick Google search for the term, and a myriad of hotels popped up. Red Roof Inn Raleigh South, Wyndham Raleigh South, Days Inn Raleigh South.

Did this happen overnight? Or have I been asleep the last 4 years?

Boo

3. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

I thought Raleigh South was a better PR spin on the GETTHO of South Raleigh. Sorry if you live near the corner of Bragg & Coleman but that is South Raleigh & it's not such a lovely area.

"you live near the corner of Bragg & Coleman" = Female prison speak for living with the State

4. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Let's all keep in mind that the CP is not a real paper. It is garbage that appears in the mailbox each week.

5. jtm

jtm Well-Known Member

Isn't it one of those local papers where the stories are just a bunch of advertisements? The ones where, for a price, you can have them do a "story" about your business. There's just something wrong with advertising trying to look like a news or community story.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  6. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i, for one, am a 40 year old native. my parents were born here. all four of my grandparents were born here. almost every one of their grandparents was born here.

never heard of raleigh south. the only time i could even envision using it would be in the case of the hotels, ie hilton raleigh airport, hilton raleigh north, and hilton raleigh south. even then it's travel industry lingo

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

And that would be the same travel industry that thinks Raleigh-Durham is one place, right?

8. dangerboy

exactly. or, as they say on tv "rally-dorram"

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Get's my vote. :cool:

I don't read the CP nor any other news paper, I'm going to use mine for wraping up plates, glasses etc... :mrgreen:

Hey buddy, welcome back to the trailer park. :twisted:

10. openminded

openminded Well-Known Member

As long as I've been here Raleigh S. was referred to as those areas S. Wilmington St., Old Garner Rd., Hammond, S. Saunders, parts of Tryon Rd. and heading back to the Garner area of Wake Co.
    This reference could possibly come from public services such as rescue, fire and police, just a way for them to seperate areas of service. This was true for the line of work I was in, the company had Wake Co. on a grind for north, south, east and west.

11. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

I posted something about this last week, asking questions.

The owner of the paper ring (CP, FV Independent, Angier, HS papers, etc) decided to just dub his paper-reaching area Raleigh South and has come out with a "Regional" insert for these papers.

That's all it is.

Frogger

12. openminded

Asked my 82 yr. old mother-in-law about the Raleigh S. or S. Raleigh thing,whichever way you'd like to say it and she said that yes there are some people who have always related this part of town the Southside of Raleigh, that would be S. Wilmington, S. Saunders, Hammond Rd., Old Garner Rd., she wasn't sure that it really contained the Garner side which used to be considered country during her day, although she said that a large portion of 401 S. has a Raleigh address. UPS considers the actual downtown area Raleigh South. All this amounts to just who ya talk to. Heard the traffic reports on all of the stations this morning reference all of the above mentioned as S. Raleigh or on the South side of Raleigh, yada, yada, yada. I personally consider that portion of Raleigh- SE Raleigh, as the High School for that side of Raleigh is named SE and the HWY system leading out of town is East/South. I consider Garner as a stand alone, as I know many people that have lived there for a long time are proud to live in the town of Garner and don't like to be considered part of S. Raleigh.

13. dangerboy

we're not talking about south raleigh, we're talking about the specific phrase "raleigh south". south raleigh has always been called south raleigh...

ups and hotels and this newspaper. that's it.

14. openminded

Sorry if I've misunderstood everyone, but thought some people mentioning and posting the reference to garner and areas out that way as Raleigh S., at least that's what was written when people posted where they grew up and never ever hearing of that part of Raleigh or the cleveland area being referred to as Raleigh South or South Raleigh, so I posted. I realize the original post was about the newspaper but as usual the comments lead down another road.

15. openminded

and your point would be?

16. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

i think he was accepting your apology and failing at the quote BBcode.

is what he was going for, i do believe.