Lifeguard saves child at Riverwood pool

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by reeteach2, Aug 14, 2007.

1. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

http://www.1270wmpm.com/wmpm_local_news.htm

Lifeguard Saves Drowning Child - Tragedy was avoided Thursday when a young lifeguard saved a drowning child. It happened at Riverwood Athletic Club. Clayton Police said the child was part of a summer camp spending the day at the Riverwood pool. Around 10am, a lifeguard spotted the 6-year-old boy stop swimming and start sinking towards the bottom of the pool. The child was rescued by the lifeguard and was breathing on his own when he was transported by Clayton paramedics to WakeMed in Raleigh .

2. Sprocket

Sprocket Well-Known Member

That's so awesome. I was a member of Riverwood Athletic Club for a few years and was always impressed with the lifeguards.

-Sprocket

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I'm glad the child was saved. But in all honesty it really doesn't deserve a mention in my book, because the lifeguard was doing what he gets PAID to do.

Craig

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I actually LIKE hearing positive news stories instead of hearing about all of the murders, etc.

5. Tonja

Tonja Well-Known Member

The kid was part of my daughter's group that was at the club. The class made the lifeguard a "thank you card" for saving their friend. He is fine. He came by to see them this week.

6. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

My kids are also members of Riverwood Summer Camp and I THANK this lifeguard, cause it could have been one of my sons! He may or may not get paid to be a lifeguard but if it was not for him then my kids would have lost a friend.
    It is worth mentioning! My kids could have been mourning a friend and that's just harsh of anyone not to mention this guy for SAVING a LIFE!!!
    If it was your kid, would you think different???

7. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

The lifeguard did an excellent job...and so did the clayton ems paramedics that responded and got him to the hospital quickly. It was a great day all around!

8. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Yep, me too!

9. Clif

Clif Guest

I wrote six lines of bug free code today, where's my "thank you card"?

I agree with CraigSPL. Why all the hoopla because someone was doing their job?

10. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

because they SAVED A LIFE!

11. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I guess all the 9/11 Firefighters, policemen, etc. were doing their job as well and shouldn't be commemorated? I mean, they were doing their jobs and in their line of work death is a risk, right? :roll:

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Do you and Craig need a hug today? Geez, ya'll are some Debbie Downers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. le

le Well-Known Member

That was just on some show last night...which one!?!?!?

14. Clif

Clif Guest

Lives get saved every day by doctors and rescue workers. I don't remember any threads about them. I did see a thread recently about cops putting up a sobriety check point. The thread wasn't an "atta boy", though. It was more of a "they should keep their noses out of other people's business".

It would be different if it was another swimmer who had saved the kids life, but the life guard was doing what he gets paid to do, just like the doctors, firemen, police, etc.

If they were simply putting out a fire, no. But 9/11 was something special. The firefighters and rescue workers weren't being commemorated so much for saving lives and for giving their lives while trying to rescue others. If the lifeguard in question had died while rescuing the kid, there would be something to commemorate.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't know, LOL! My sister says it all the time, cracks me up!:lol:

16. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Glad someone thought this article was important. Thanks for posting it. For the other "2" on the entire forum who thought it was worthless to mention.....I hope you know how to swim cause if a lifeguard comes to save you life.......YOU need to tell them NO THANKS, you can handle it, no need to save you cause someone may thank them.

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

A lifeguard saving a child or adult while swimming in the local pool is doing their job, and while it might derserve a thank you from the parties involved it hardly deserves the bandwidth it have been given. A lifeguard diving into the ocean to rescue a person being attacked by a shark is another matter.

In the same sense firefighters showing up to put out a house fire are doing their job, a firefighter running into a burning house that is collapsing to save someone is yet again another story.

It is a positive story that many find uplifting. But where is the praise and the story line for the ER staff that saves the life of someone critically injured in a automobile accident? The ER staff at most larger hospitals probably do this daily, yet get nothing more than a good job or thanks from their peers and the patients involved. Unless it is a high profile situation there is no acknowledgement that these people are doing the same thing as the lifeguard, but they are most likely doing it on a weekly if not daily basis.

Craig

18. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

Still, not everyone hired for a job does a good job. If he wasn't able to save that boy would you feel the same about the discussion that followed? I have a feeling lots of bandwith would be used then for people to complain and judge.

I've worked with lifeguards who were hired and trained for their positions, but when a REAL emergency happened, unfortunately couldn't handle it. They'd let their emotions get the best of them, PANIC, and rely on others for help. As a teenager, I sometimes doubted myself on whether or not I could handle a real emergency.

Give the kid a break, he was faced with a tough situation at a young age. He's not a doctor with years of schooling and he apparently handled it very well. It's not a waste of bandwidth.

Be nice. Life is good.:-D

19. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Yeah...their own death is a risk. A lifeguard at a swimming pool isn't risking his life when he saves a drowning child.

I agree it's great...but that IS what the lifeguard is paid to do.

20. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

If he didn't save the boy, I would say he should quit his day job. Which is the point.

But that doesn't mean that those who do their jobs are going above and beyond the call of duty. They are doing the job that is expected of them, that they agreed to do in return for a wage.

We've got to stop teaching kids that they are owed something extra for doing what they are supposed to do. We're creating too many entitlement minded adults.