Poison Sumac Relief?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Sep 5, 2007.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

This weekend I broke out with these bumps on my legs and arms, and they are itching like crazy!! A friend of mine saw them and said that it looks like I got into some poison sumac, which is definitely possible because I was in the woods twice this weekend. Online at webmd.com I was reading about it and it sounds like the same thing I have. Does anyone know a good way to get rid of these irritating bumps? I can't stop itching everywhere, and it's keeping me up at night!!

2. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

Scratch?

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

My DF is Eat slam up with poison oak.....OMG, the worst I Have ever seen. He is eating prednisone (sp?) as hard as he can go and spraying that Benadryl Extra Strength stuff on his oozing blisters....horrible. The worst I have EVER seen.

4. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

sounds kind of harsh, but make a bath of Clorox. Dry them buggers up , along with the rest of your skin.....:)

5. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Wow! Mine isn't that bad...yet! I've never gotten into anything like that, not even poison ivy. What's weird is my eye is itchy too, that wouldn't be related would it? It all started Saturday, and as of today I'm still getting more bumps popping up. I originally just thought they were bug bites, but since they're scabbing over (from the fluid inside them, I guess?) I knew that couldn't be it.

6. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

take two benadryl(sp)
    spray with cortaid on the bumbs or take alcohol & cotton balls to the area to dry it up

7. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Be careful with the eye. Mine ended up swollen shut last year, needed a shot in my hinney!!

REAL hot water helps with the itch. It lasts for hours.

I just took my 6 year old to doctor for it since it was on his face too and he put him on liquid pred for 9 days. (but also told me going to the doc was never necessary for it...) but boy did it help him.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yes, access to Steroids (prednisone) is the ticket, for sure. Soaking in Oatmeal baths helps temporarily too. There are lots of over the counter stuff to take. That Bendryl Spray, Extra Strength, is the heat...stops itiching immediately....but you can only use it like 3-4 times in 24 hours.

9. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your input...sounds like there are a lot of different things I can do!

10. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Calomine lotion....it's da bomb.

Note that we have three poisonous plants in NC. Poison oak, ivy and sumac.
    Ivy has three leafs
    sumac has nine...

"Leaflets three, let it be.
    It's poison oak or ivy." old Boy Scout saying...

11. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

It's funny...I've always known about the poison ivy, and what it looks like and I was so careful to watch out for it while I was in the woods. My hubby gets it a lot and so does my stepmom. But I guess I should have been on the lookout for the sumac as well! Now I'll know. I did look it up online and saw what they all looked like, now I'll be prepared...The land we were looking at is possibly going to be our future home, so I'll definitely get it figured out, or be in agony forever!!!

12. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

13. le

le Well-Known Member

I get contact dermatitis all the time, bugger it. No doc ever can tell which poisony rash I cart to their office so contact dermatitis sums up the problem.

If you have it on your face, call the doc. You will need/want a shot pronto cuz you SHOULD NOT put steroidal cream on your face.

The shot gives ya the much the same side effects as the pills in a hurry but relief is much faster too!

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I had hives real bad last summer from a drug/sunlight reaction. I was taking Aveeno oatmeal baths just before bed so that I could get some relief to sleep, and that kept me comfortable most the night.

15. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I don't have any bumps on my face or eye, but my eye has been itching since Saturday also. Is this any cause for concern? It hasn't swollen at all, just really itchy.

16. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

Being very allergic to poison sumac, ivy etc... Have your Doc give you a steriod shot and some oral steriods. Also...going to the beach and sitting in The salt water works too....(personal experience..)

good luck!

17. granola acres mayor

granola acres mayor Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness girl,
    I feel so bad for you, I am so apt to get that kinda crap, i know what every piosonus plant looks like on both sides of the mason dixon line!!
    the best thing for sumac is EPSOM SALT and OATMEAL mix. as you fill your tub with wateras hot as you can stand outting your bottom in, put regular oatmeal (in the big canister with the guy with the big blue hat on) about 2 cups full then add about 2 cups of Epsom salts, when the water is high enough to cover all the affected areas, sit for as long as you can weather it be 10 minutes or till the water turns cold. the longer the better.
    DO NOT SCRATCH!!!!!! keep in mind when this crap goes away, every timeyou get it in a new spot you will also get it wherever you have had it in the past,DO NOT SCRATCH!!!. if you thibnk you have come in contact with it again wash what ever you can in bleach and keep in mind that the oils of said plants stay active on your clothing for up to 3 days.
    as for prednisone, yes it does help but not cure and has wierd side affects.
    I am sooo sorry, I wish i could help more!

18. Local Mom

Local Mom Member

Poison Oak/Ivy/Sumac

Oh the pain, the itch! I know it well. I am highly allergic to the stuff. Caught it twice last summer and the one time it covered half my body. Yes, you can get it in your eyes (happened to me as a child). I've not been to the doctor for it since the eye incident but somehow manage to cure it myself. I use everything in the cabinet. The oatmeal and epson salt bath sounds good. I've even scrubbed it in the shower with regular table salt, does seem to help. As does treating it and covering the areas with a bandaid (helps to ease the itch and keeps you from scratching while it heals). I've also poured Clorox on the individual areas. For over the counter items, the best I've found is IVAREST cream. I've also taken oral Benadryl. Somehow the combination of several things eventually cures it.
    You DO NOT have to come personally in contact with the plant. You can get the oils from the plant on yourself from your pets (cats/dogs) who brush against it.
    You can get it from someones clothes (my guy is a surveyor who is often in the woods). I've caught it from giving him a hug. I have also caught it when gathering up my kid's dirty clothes. They'd been playing in the woods and when I held their clothing in my arms, a day later a small patch developed on my wrist.
    Our woods are full of it so I just try to stay near the house.
    Never burn the stuff either. The oils from the plants travel in the air and settle on your skin (or you breathe it in).

If you know that you have been in contact, as soon as possible wash the area with something like (tecnu) an over the counter product. It stinks to high heaven but it does remove the plant oil from your skin and that is what spreads and causes the itching.
    Best of luck.

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Aaaccck! That is why I DO NOT go into the woods! All I have to do is look at the danged stuff! I've also gotten it off my dog when I was younger. My mom couldn't figure out where I was getting it, because I was NOT allowed to go near any weeds of any kind, LOL. We finally figured out the dog was the culprit.

20. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Topicort! I SWEAR by it!

Thanks JS :mrgreen: