Backyard clothes lines - Americana or Eyesore?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Today is a great day for line drying clothes!

I have 2 loads out swaying in the breeze.

Love it!

2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

What's left of mama's clothes line

This is behind my mama's house next door. Line was put up in 1967. It used to be twice this length.

Hanging out clothes was one of my chores as a kid while school was out in the summer.

Used to be grass in the back. Now, mama has flowers everywhere.

Where can you even buy clothes pins anymore?

[​IMG]

3. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

You can buy clothes pins at the $1.00 Store, Wally World, K-Mart etc... they are still out there.

But
    Of Course,
    I use my Grandmom's tough pins from way-way back & her pin basket too. That's love.

4. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Kent,

That looks almost identical to my Mom's backyard and clothesline.

5. Clif

Clif Guest

Just call it a solar powered clothes de-humidifier.

6. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Covenant thwarts effort to conserve water

From today's N&O: http://www.newsobserver.com/weather/drought/story/751352.html

A few excerpts:

The Pettys have been told they can't replace their water-sucking fescue front lawn with less-thirsty Bermuda grass because the rule is, Everybody in Falls River Community must have fescue.

- - - -

When his front yard started dying in the 2005 drought, he asked the Falls River homeowners association's architectural review board to allow an exception and let him plant Bermuda. He wanted to put it only in the front yard, which gets a lot of sun.

The answer was no.

"In a subdivision with 1,100 homes, you have to make a call to have one [type of grass] or the other," said Michelle Porter, who serves on the association's landscape committee. "You can't have both because of the cross-contamination with the seeds."

- - - -
    "They really don't play well in the same sandbox," Porter said. "If I have a fescue lawn and the entire rest of the neighborhood has fescue, and it's a good decision to have been made, and I'm maintaining mine and the person next door puts in a Bermuda lawn and I can't keep his Bermuda out of my fescue, then it comes down to, 'Who's doing what they're supposed to be doing?' "

For now, Porter said, the covenant stands. Whether the fescue does or not.

7. wackybrit

wackybrit Member

Clothes line dryer & loving it!

Growing up we didn't even have a dryer, so everything went outside or on radiators (I am from England), so when I moved to America I thought I was living the high life to have an electric dryer. Well, 14 years later I have decided that maybe my mom knew better than me. My electric bills had been outrageous this year. In 3 months I spent $800, which I am sure a lot of other people did too. I decided I was going to cut back on using the dryer and line dry as much as possible. I still fluff them up for 5 minutes when I bring them inside, so they are not all stiff, but the first months bill was $110 dollars less. That is enough reason for me to keep on using it.

8. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Amen!

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Same here! Even though my fingers are cold right now. ;)

10. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

11. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

I'm a clothesline virgin. I've never used one. Is that weird?

12. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

No its not weird.

13. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

We are 100% clothesline.

You really would be shocked :shock: at just how much longer your clothes will last.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  14. NanaPam

NanaPam Active Member

clothes lines

I have no problems with them as long as they are not used as a closet and the poles and lines are neat.

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

As long as there are no tobacco stains I am fine with it!

16. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

The Clothesline Said So Much

The Clothesline Said So Much

A clothesline was a news forecast to neighbors passing by,
    There were no secrets you could keep when clothes were hung to dry.
    It also was a friendly link, for neighbors always knew,
    if company had stopped on by to spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the fancy sheets and towels on the line,
    You'd see the company table cloths with intricate design.
    The line announced a baby's birth to folks who lived inside,
    as brand new infant clothes were hung so carefully with pride.

The ages of the children could so readily be known
    by watching how the sizes changed you'd know how much they'd grown.
    It also told when illness struck as extra sheets were hung,
    then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too, haphazardly were strung.

It said, "Gone on vacation now" when lines hung limp and bare,
    it told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged with not an inch to spare.
    New folks in town were scorned upon if wash was dingy gray,
    as neighbors raised their brows and looked disgustedly away.

But clotheslines now are of the past for dryers make work less.
    Now what goes on inside a home is anybody's guess.
    I really miss that way of life. It was a friendly sign,
    when neighbors knew each other best by what hung on the line!

~Author Unknown~

17. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

New York town repeals ban on clotheslines

Let's see now, two local government officials didn't care for clotheslines, so they got a LAW passed to ban them.

With possible JAIL TIME for drying your clothes on a line!!!!!!!

Can't believe something like that got passed even though it looks like law enforcement didn't intend to enforce any violations.

Glad to see it repealed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. — Town board members who had drawn the line at hanging clothes outside to dry are cutting residents some slack: It's OK for them to use clotheslines now.

The Southampton Town board has lifted a ban on clotheslines that had stood since 2002, when some homeowners complained the laundry on their neighbors' lawns was making the tony Hamptons town look shabby.

But no one objected when the town board voted Tuesday night to repeal the ban.

Town Councilwoman Anna Throne-Holst said being able to hang her children's clothes outside instead of drying them in a machine will keep her electricity costs down.

"If you have three teenage sons like I do, your energy bill is going through the roof," she said.

Other residents said they had ignored the ban despite a possible $1,000 fine or six-month jail term. No Southampton resident had been sanctioned for hanging a clothesline.

http://www.wral.com/news/strange/story/2954294/

18. sus

sus Well-Known Member

My Grandmother still used the old wringer washer. Loved doing laundry with her and then going out to hang it on the line. Sheets smelll soooooo good. Our HOA is a pain in the behind. They do nothing for our subdivision but just try and put up a clothesline......omg they are right there with the noose. I never had a HOA before so when I moved here.. i was their worst nightmare. Redneck living in yuppieville:p that would be me

19. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

It sure is a good thing they dont have anything more important to worry about!

I love them, reminds me of my childhood! Wish I could have one, neighborhood wont allow it!

20. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

This lady should have been hanging her bloomers out all along. Looks like too many times in the dryer. Elasticity looks a little faded!

[​IMG]