scented candles / plugins

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I love apple spice/spice scents filling the house this time of year. So far I've tried Glade plugin but can only smell it if with a foot or two. Before I waste more $ trying another brand or product, does anyone have suggestion for a candle or plugin type air freshner that works well?

2. new2nc

new2nc Active Member

Have not tried it myself, but I have heard that Yankee Candles are very good.

3. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

plug ins

Try the Bath & Body Works Wallflowers. I use them and LOVE them. They dont overpower your room, but you will definately smell a soft scent when you enter the room. I have 1 in my kitchen, 1 in each bathroom and 1 in my hallway. (with 3 dogs in the house you can never be too fresh smelling! :) ) They have lots of great fragrances to choose from - in the Winter I like to use "Cinnamon Stick". Yankee Candles are also really good, their Christmas Wreath one smells just like a fresh Christmas tree!

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Glade makes a 'hot apple pie' (or something with apple in the name) that's outstanding. The macintosh apple scented from Yankee candle is good too. I haven't found very much difference in the glade and yankee candle smells (as far as being very potent, which I like) except for the price. Pier One candles and diffusers are also good choices and reasonably priced. I burn candles every second I am in my house. That's the first thing I do when I walk in the door, after taking off my shoes, is light candles. I consider myself candle educated. I can tell you this, the ones at the dollar store and the less expensive places are nothing more than crayon wax with ZERO smell, so don't waste your dime. :mrgreen:

5. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

I second Bath & Body works plugins. Also, White Barn candles has a good selection. Yankee candles are always good, you dont even have to light the regular candles, you can just open the jar. :)

6. new2area

new2area Member

Bath and Body works has a holiday oil warmer and scented oils for the season and they are the best! Within 2 minutes of being lit my entire house smells like a christmas tree and it lasts for hours. I have tried many other things b/c I love my house to smell good and hands down these are the best!:)

7. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Yankee Candles and Party Lite Candles are both great. I can even smell the candle's scent coming from downstair while I was upstair.

8. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Although they are a bit pricey, nothing IMHO beats a Wood Wick Candle (sold at Cracker Barrel) They sound like a crackling fireplace - the small ones burn a minimum of something like 110 hours the large ones a minimum of 180 hours - (the length on the large ones is exact - those are the ones I buy now)

They have a new evergreen scent I have to get in and pick up. . .I've tried Biscotti, Vanilla, Rum Rasin, and a few others and every one of them smell so great! I have an open floor plan and you can smell the candle burning two rooms away, but it isn't overcoming in the room where it is. They don't soot up the glass if you trim the wood wick back between lighting it (just don't trim too short) no funky smell when you blow them out either.

Can't wait to see what other cool scents they have come out with.

BTW- if you find a scent you like a lot, be sure to get another before too long as some scents are seasonal - Rum Raisin for one - you can only find in the fall and winter, so if you wish to have it all year long - you might be disappointed :-( I burn those puppies daily :)

9. bystander

bystander Well-Known Member

I've got one of those little warmer pots (plug in kind ) that I LOVE. I buy the fragrant liquid and it smells up the whole house. Also, they make a fragrance that smells like a fresh cut Christmas tree that I love. I use my little warmer all of the time - just have to make sure I remember to unplug it when I leave the house.
    Also, I bought my dad one of those Air Wick scented oil plug ins and I can smell it before I even open the door to go inside of his house. I'm not sure of the fragrance but the oil/liquid was pink inside of the little bottle.

10. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I tried the Walmart brand candles in their candle isle. Ones in the glass jars. Tried pumpkin spice for Thanksgiving ands now we have apple. They smell wonderful. I was suprised. I was using soy candles by Method from Walmart but way too expensive for a candle. I think the brand name in Walmart is Hometrend. I think. Lots of different smells to choose from. And the price was right.

Stephanie--mom to 7

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I'm gonna try one of these ... the 'sound effect' sounds like a great bonus!!

12. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I use Yankee Candle plugins ... they're so strong even on the lowest setting, I unplug it every once in awhile to just let the scent linger. I havent tried some of the other suggested types, so I cant compare ...

13. greene88

greene88 Member

I also bought one of the glass jar candles at Walmart. I was surprised. But I use the wallflowers from Bath and Body Works. "Spiced Cider" I my seasonal favorite. Party Lite Candles are my favorite candles though, I don't know anyone who sells them. I would love to find someone if you know somebody!

14. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

bath & body works wallflowers on sale!!

Wallflowers are on sale now for $6.00!!!!! Usually $12.00! Great Christmas gifts!!! (and stock up time!)

15. FLai

FLai Active Member

Try Soy Candles!

There's a lot of good reasons including the material used - it's all natural and biodegradable. Also, coloring a candle adds other things that you don't want to inhale. You can buy soy candles at flea markets, Whole Foods, etc. Please stay away from ones that are made overseas because of the lead content in either the candle, the wick or both.

As far as scents, they are great. I use one from a flea market in Raleigh, it's called Hot Apple Pie. Smells really good.