Undecided On Dog Breeds

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Feb 11, 2008.

1. EV323

EV323 Member

Another vote for mixed breeds. Try a beagle mix .

2. Chimp

Chimp Well-Known Member

We have a pug. They are GREAT with kids and other animals. The males seem to be more laid back then the females. They have so much personality!

8)

3. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

we have a long hairred daschund! He is 15 lbs max, was easy to house train, very sociable. highly recommend!

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I want a dog...........

Okay, I'm over that now.....

5. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Many dog breeds have rescue organizations. We got one of our aussies from aussie rescue. A google can probably lead you to a local rescue for a the breed you decide on.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

7. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

We got all of our dogs from shelters as well and we found a winner with our golden lab. The sweetest, most loving dog ever. Great with kids...loves to go for walks..never chewed up a thing. Will catch a ball and bring it back to you all day long!

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Get a chow-chow. OMG!

9. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

best thing I ever did. going thru empty nest, DH said he would shoot me if I brought one home, told DH I was on my way home with one and if he was shooting to just shoot me in the foot, that was 3 years ago, left for work this morning DH and the dog asleep in the bed. so sweet.... he loves that dog better than I do!

10. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

I wish you could have seen the chow-chow puppy that I saw at Petsmart on Sunday. She was a cream colored puff ball... SO CUTE and one of the prettiest colors I've ever seen!

11. thewildmom

thewildmom Well-Known Member

We just got a mountain fiest puppy at Christmas. I really did not want a dog, but my daughter pulled the parental guilt routine on me! He is the coolest dog ever - smart, loving, lots of energy but not hyper. The vet says he will be about 25 pounds at adult size. I would highly recommend this breed or a mix with this breed. Best dog ever - I think I love him more than the kids do!!

12. emmalu

emmalu Active Member

I too recommend a shelter dog however if you really want a purebred I would take a look at the Boston Terrier. They are absolute sweethearts. Smart as anything, loyal, affectionate, and very playful. We lost our sweet little boston Jack two years ago. I really wanted to get another one but like you I was afraid it would make me miss him more. We adopted a hound mix and he's been a great addition to the family. Good luck in your search.

13. ready2cmyKing

14. ready2cmyKing

[​IMG]

Blondie

Breed: Chow Chow (mix breed)
    Size: Medium

Shelter: Animal Protection Society of Caswell County
    836 County Home Road
    Yanceville, NC
    Shelter dog ID: 08103
    Contact tel: 336-694-4921
    Contact name: APS Caswell Shelter
    Contact email: apscaswell@yahoo.com

About Blondie Hi, I am Blondie a sweet shy lady looking for my forever home. I am so cute when you talk to me I turn my head slightly in response to your voice. Come and see me today! I am ready to go!

male bassett

Breed: Basset Hound
    Size: Small

Shelter: RC Animal Shelter/Protection Alliance
    578 Laurel HIll Dr
    Rutherfordton, NC
    Shelter dog ID: male bassett
    Contact tel: 8282877738
    Contact name: Lynne Faltracto
    Contact email: rcapa@blueridge.net

feist chihuahua mix

Breed: Chihuahua (mix breed)
    Size: Small

Shelter: RC Animal Shelter/Protection Alliance
    578 Laurel HIll Dr
    Rutherfordton, NC
    Shelter dog ID: feist chihuahua mix
    Contact tel: 8282877738
    Contact name: Lynne Faltracto
    Contact email: rcapa@blueridge.net

[​IMG]

Hobo

Breed: Shepherd (mix breed)
    Size: Medium

Shelter: Greene County Animal Shelter
    1985 Hwy 903 North
    Snow Hill, NC
    Shelter dog ID: Hobo
    Contact tel: 252-939-6334
    Contact name: Jeanie Taylor
    Contact email: Jtylrjeanie@aol.com

About Hobo Hobo is a fluffy Shepherd/Chow mix. He is at the shelter with 5 littermates. All are so cute & sweet. We have lots of puppies--all need forever homes.

These dogs/puppies and more can be found here http://dogsindanger.com/searchReturn.jsp

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  15. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

Speaking of dogs needing homes, does anyone else's heart break everytime they see that pedigree commercial with "Echo" in his cage at the shelter? That dogs has human expressions!:cry:

16. ready2cmyKing

YES, I hate that commercial! I can see Blondie ^ doing the same thing. She looks so sweet and scared. If I didn't have 4 dogs already...

17. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

If we weren't already 3 critters over the limit of our HOA... I want Blondie!

18. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

My mother has a cavalier, wonderful lap dogs. The breeder she got her's from stressed the importance that this breed not be left home alone during the day, this breed has seperation anxiety problems, their very owner attached dogs. They are wonderful around children, as long as the children are taught to be gentle with this type. This breed is very, very easy to housebreak, my mom's Cavalier had a total of 5 accidents and she got him at 9 weeks of age. They love people and have a very laid back personality, do not mistake them with the cocker spaniels of the dog world. Unless you have a good chunk of money to spend on this breed check out rescue programs. I have seen them in the paper as a mixed breed with poodles, Cavapoo.
    Good luck on your search.

19. clive

clive Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned boxers earlier in this thread and they are great dogs. I have two. They are larger, however, than the ones you have in mind.
    For a smaller dog (smaller than a boxer I mean) I'd definitely go with a border terrier. Great all-around family pets.
    [​IMG]

20. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

forgot to explain what the breeder meant by "leaving the dog home alone during the day", these dogs are not the type breed that you leave in the morning to go to work and stay gone 8-10 hours a day, they thrive on companionship and are very owner attached. When my mom first got her Cavalier I thought what a bunch of crap the breeder was giving her, then through the years I read up on the breed and came in contact with people that had this breed including my own vet office and they all agreed with the breeder due to their own experience with this breed. My mom's Cav does just fine on days that she's gone for up to 4-6 hours at a time, just not an everyday occurance.