Where is the money going in JCS?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by teachourchildrenwell, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I gave solutions that worked for me and my family. Have fun blasting the Super with your sockpuppet.

2. Cleopatra

Some kids just simply do not test well, nevermind the stress in the weeks before the EOG. There is a big diff between changing grades on a quiz/test than the EOG. Frankly, I could care less about the EOG.

3. teachourchildrenwell

teachourchildrenwell Active Member

I have to agree with you on all of the above! The only reason why I care about the EOG is because they will retain your child if they do not pass it. There are safety nets set given in our County, but I would hate to have to ask for a waiver.

However, you indicated before a problem your son was having in Math. Basically, stating that he did not understand the way the teacher was teaching the lesson. That is why I think that they should reteach then retest. Math is an exact science, but there is always more than one way to teach the same concept. Sometimes the different teaching method will make all the difference to the student. I am finding this out, as I am tutoring the children. Once I understand where they are going wrong (so to speak), I am able to adapt to the way their brain is learning it. I change over to a different method, and all of a sudden they get it. I have had teachers ask me what are you doing? All of a sudden the students grade improved from a "F" to a "B"(on test/quizes) When I explain what I have done, they have started to implement my methods in the classroom. Partnership is a good thing -- casting stones is not.

4. I personally think the EOG's are a waste of time, but the weight of them counts so much. They are a big factor in where your placement for classes in the years ahead of any child, to include high school. They are also a factor in whether your child passes or fails. You should start caring about the EOG's they are a big deal. My child always does well on the EOG's, but she had a teacher in third grade who was great. She taught for 1 year in NC, and left for various reasons. She taught the kids how to take a standardized test, and do well. She is a rare breed of teacher. Went above and beyond her call of duties. Maybe if she was paid better we could have retained her in NC Schools(that was one reason for her leaving). Hmmm.. Go figure...

5. Cleopatra

I worked with him at home during the school year to get him through (I am by no means a mathematician) and then once the review time came for the EOG and no time for songs/dances he got it. Lightbulb. Just as I knew he would. Then he made a Level 4/5 on the test - I can't remember.

Right, different kids learn in different ways. Some, just give them the book and some examples and they are good to go - add some fluff and some kids glaze over. I glaze over as well with too much information. I am a doer. Give me a few examples, hush up, and let me figure it out for myself. Maybe grouping by ability and learning style would pay off.

6. Cleopatra

Please see my previous post on EOG (in my response to teachyourchildrenwell). All the EOGs do is give my son migraines for the weeks up until the test. The emphasis would be better placed on the teachers and parents rather than the kids. Yeah, it's going to determine where he is placed the next year. It also determines the school's report card. If he hadn't gotten in pre-al this past year, oh-well - he could have taken it next year and still been on track. That would be OK with me, instead of having him fail because he was not ready for it, or stress about failing and then.... ahhh. Level 4/5 again. Just like every other year.

7. teachourchildrenwell

I think they do "group" the children to some extent, but I think that is based upon grades rather than learning style. Too hard to group by learning style because for a lot of people, learning style may vary as the concepts become harder and more concentrated. That is why the students in Middle School are on teams and some teams move faster than others (basic classes), and some teams are the AIG labled or advanced students.

8. Cleopatra

Yes, they do group by ability somewhat in Middle School. I think the learning style is something to be considered in our futuristic schools, but the parent/teacher should be aware of it and communicating it right now. FWIW, I suspect my son also goofs off throughout the year and crams in those few weeks. If I homeschooled, he might be graduated by now. I've offered, but he declined.

9. Cleopatra

Can I ask, how involved are these kids' parents that you are tutoring? Is this ongoing, or has it just come up with EOGs on the horizon?

10. Madonna

Madonna Well-Known Member

Two years ago Johnston County tried a program which would put students of different levels together in the same class in middle school. Before that time they were placed based on AIG and learning ability (I believe).

What started two years ago has not gone over well in our house as far as getting educated. Part of me says that they don't need to segregate children based on grades and another part says they should. What we have experienced in our house is that some children want to learn and others don't. If children are talking, eating or doing whatever while being taught then the children who really want to learn have a hard go of it. Mine have had to be moved from different areas of the classroom so that the distraction was not around.

When Johnston County started this it was a shock because we were not used to children not wanting to learn more and more. Mine had always been with those who excelled. It is a struggle but a life lesson as well. Once they get to high school they have different level of classes that they can take and that allows them to be with like minded children.

If a teacher cannot get the children to understand the subject, we have found that in using some elbows the local administration will move the child and/or teacher. Prime example happened in one high school this year where the teacher will be moving to a lower grade next year. Students were not passing because of the teaching style. Yes, parents had to help out but it was solved for the future and the administration took that into consideration when issuing report cards.

Mine are certainly not Einsteins but want to learn or are afraid I will kill them if they come home with a score below what is acceptable in our house. As they get older the work gets harder. I have friends whose children are up until the wee hours of the morning studying and doing projects for AP classes, but these children want to learn. The have a yearning. I only know of one boy in Johnston County who took the SAT in seventh grade and never has to take it again. The rest who took it at young ages and forward are not Einsteins, they are just children who excel and have some pushing from parents (my opinion).

LI...and I will communicate on a different level regarding the school and teacher but I did want to comment on what you guys are now discussing.

11. Madonna

I'll bet he declined. Who wants to be around there mom all day? Just kidding around............

12. teachourchildrenwell

I know the parents since "K", and they have always been involved in their childs education. The concern has come up due to low math & la assessment scores. Most of these children are not truly showing signs in the classroom (they are passing), but when they take a test/quiz/assessment they fail terribly. With most of these children, the parents started to see signs of the lack of conceptual understanding (2) years ago in Math. This is when the State put into effect the new curriculm. For the 1st time, these children did not pass the EOG, but were not retained because it was the 1st year to gather the new test data. For a base line for future tests in every grade. So the students were promoted, and no remediation was given.

Last year in Math these students passed with borderline Level III scores. Now, this year, they are doing well in the class once they correct their tests, but are not performing well on the assessments given each quarter.

The LA that I am aware of has only shown up this year, but the standards are going to change on this years EOG. So the assessments that the students are given this year are reflective of the change in curriculm. Guess we will just have to wait and see on that one.

13. teachourchildrenwell

GREAT INFORMATION // I totally agree about the classroom. I have heard the same complaints from mine. Being that I am not having the concern directly, it is hard for me to determine if the parents can handle the matter differently. However, from how they deal with me, they seem to understand and want to help their children. They told me that they were able to get 1 day after school tutoring, and the fast track program which is also 1 day per week. The parents said they are told there is no money for additional remediation for these students. I have verified that to be true. However, the students still got an at risk type letter (I did not see the letter again explained by the parents), so that is when I offered to tutor the children. Shoot -- these are great kids -- I don't want them to be retained! I have no problem helping any child that wants to learn, and I think that all children are capable of learning.

14. Cleopatra

No, it's the truth! lol

15. Madonna

Anyone homeschooling has my deepest admiration. Patience in teaching my child is not one of my strong suits.