tubes in your childs ears

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by madleen27, May 27, 2008.

1. madleen27

madleen27 Guest

does anyone have a child that has had to get tubes in thier ears because of ear infections my daughter is almost two and has had alot of ear infections and im just wondering if anyone has had to do this incase it is recomended when i take her to her appointment

2. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Both my sons had them...WORKED WONDERS!!!! Neither of them have had any ear infections since. :hurray:

3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

My eldest had tubes twice when he was younger, once at 18mos then again at almost 3, his ear infections would not clear up for anything. After the first set fell out, the infections started again, thus the second set, after those fell out he was fine as far as the ear infections went.

4. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Same thing with my son... just different ages when he got tubes. My daughter now has tubes.

Tubes work wonders and an easy as pie procedure. I would suggest Mann ENT - Dr Jones if that's not who you are already seeing... or if you don't like whom you are going to see. Dr. Jones is WONDERFUL... with his little bow ties. :mrgreen:

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree:

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

ewwwwwwwww, he is Dr. McDreamy. I have an appt with him this week. :mrgreen:

7. samsaunt

samsaunt Member

I second Dr Jones. He did my DD's tubes. She's on her 3rd set and had her adnoids taken out this last time too................

8. madleen27

madleen27 Guest

thank you all so much i have heard so many horror storys about them this really helped and am going to look for this doc now thanks again

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

here ya go! he is the best!!

http://www.entman.com/

10. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

When one of my daughters kept having ear infections the doctor told us to get rid of the carpet in her room....I replaced it with floor tile and she quit having the infections.

One of the reasons I have no carpet anywhere in my house now.

11. kookookacho

wow... that could get expensive. :?

12. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

I know, right?! Insurance paid for the tubes ....:lol::mrgreen:

13. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

DS had to get tubes at 18 months and tada.....no problems since (he is 4 now). I highly recommend Dr. Bret Dorfman 350-1630. He is great with little ones. He also did the older ones tonsils and will do the little ones tonsils this summer. PLUS....he is very easy on the eyes! :)

The carpet thing is strange to me.

14. michellegrl77

michellegrl77 Well-Known Member

best thing I ever did for my daughter! She was 2 when they put them in and you could tell a huge difference shortly afterwards in her speech.

15. kookookacho

I wonder if the doctor ordered for the carpet removed would insurance pay for it?! :lol:

That'd be a stretch!

16. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

My son had to have tubes twice and the second time they took his adnoids out and no problems with him since. My daughter was barely 1 when she had to have tubes. Both kids handled it well. The day after they had them, they were their old selves again. In fact, the day after my son had his tubes put in and his adnoids taken out, we went on a trip and had to go through the mountains, (we did get permission from the dr) and he did just fine, no problems at all.

Just make sure you keep the ear plugs in any time near water. Kyle had one red one and one blue on to distinguish what ear they went into .

17. Desdemona25

Desdemona25 Well-Known Member

I remember having them done for me when I was around 3 1/2 years old. I remember my ears hurting a lot afterwards. The tubes fell out when I was around 5. I think I had 3 ear infections after that (age 6, 7 and right before I turned 13)--outside of the times that I didn't put my special drops in before and after swimming.

It definitely made a world of difference for me and would suggest it to any parent that is considering it.

18. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

My daughter has had them twice, and the first time they lasted for a year and now she has them again. Last summer was so much better not having to put plugs in, no worries after the tubs where in.
    She has also had her Adnoids and Tonsils out as well back in March. I have not had one problem so far. I went to Garner Ear Nose and Throat, Dr. Price was great with my daughter!
    Sheri

19. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

My son who is 6 1/2 now had them put in when he was 3 1/2. The dr. said his ear canals were smaller than they should be for his age. The tubes did help. They stayed in for about 1 1/2 years and he has had 1 or 2 very minor infections since then. Most of his infections followed bad colds. We went to Greater Carolina ENT in Clayton and the surgery was at WakeMed North.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Depends on the kid...................DS was borderline with the number of ear infections in a certain time period and due to an experience a close friend had with them, I wasn't real hip on the idea. Pediatrician agreed that DS had no structural issue to need tubes, so we opted for low dose antibiotics for a couple months to get him past that time frame. He's never had a problem since. Pediatrician felt like he was getting ear infections from being at daycare, not that there was something wrong with his ears. His immune system got a workout there for a while, but now he rarely misses school.