Fox in Whispering Pines Subdivision

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by my2monkeys, Jun 26, 2008.

1. my2monkeys

my2monkeys Member

I am kinda new to the subdivision and wanted to let everyone know.

My friend and I were outside (next to our cars) talking. Our kids were saying goodbye to each other next to us and a silver looking fox came strolling by us. It was within 200 feet of us and our kids.

We were a little spooked but my main concern the families who walk in the evenings. I know lots of us walk in our neighborhood and lost of us walk with our pets. Also, any pets that are like the outside more than inside (mine included). We have pets but have a high fence and my pets only go in my back yard.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know. More as a caution than a "Oh my gosh". Just be careful and be careful with your pets.

The fox was silver looking (it was dusk so not 100 % sure on color) and the size of a medium size dog.

2. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. my2monkeys

my2monkeys Member

Thank you!

I sent the person a e-mail. I did not get close enough and it being dark to see if he had a collar on. I just thought it was weird that he came so close as foxes are usually jittery and avoid people.

I just got off the phone with the lady about the ad. She did not feel that it was her Wolf. Anyway.

Thanks for fowarding me the link. Again, I just wanted to let everyone as I would want to know if it were me.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  4. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

We have a beaver in our neighborhood. The chewed down a lot of trees and built a nice dam.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Not sure I would call the missing animal a "wolf" while it does have a wolf like appearance it looks more like a hybrid husky or straight husky.

And the foxes that I have seen in the area, though red foxes are no where near medium dog size (personally would consider my dog which is Austrailan shepard/husky mix medium sized).

Craig

7. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

We stay in Riverwood and my husband has seen several red foxes over the years. He usually sees them very early in the morning on his way to the gym.

8. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

Let me know if yall would like to get rid of it, I know a guy who will trap them for ya!!

9. my2monkeys

my2monkeys Member

The only reason I posted a message is to let my neighbors know. I only know one of them and have no clue their number. I did go to my next door neighbor (older couple) and let them know as what ever it was lingered in their yard for about 2-3 minutes.

The animal definately seemed to be looking for food. That concerns me. We have lots of kids in the area and if one of them were to get hurt. I dont know that I could sleep at night if I did not say something. I know my kids play outside with the outdoor lights on when it is getting dark sometimes.

I am getting ready to call animal control now. I kinda feel bad as with the new road they put in (not that far away) I am sure we moved them out of their habitat.

I took a tape measure outside this morning and the Fox was within 100 feet of us. I put 200 in my first post as I knew it was within that. Just waltzing by.

I have a Chow and she is a medium size dog about 50 lb. This animal was about the same size as my dog.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  10. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

I think Animal Control will not do anything about them, they will refer you to someone else! I dont think they will trap a fox etc.. But let me know what they tell you!

11. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

There is a red fox we have been spotting in our subdivision in the last month. We do have a heavily wooded area near our house and this is where we see it in the field. Although, we did spot him going through a wooded section of the division one morning this week while we walking around 5 am. I think it just lives there with the family of 9 deers and the 4 hawks. Our fox is only about the size of a corgi dog, maybe a little taller and thinner. Looks like it might weight 20-30 lbs.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  12. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

the size of a 50lb chow? it'd have to be the biggest fox in joco wouldn't it? foxes are mostly like big cats. a 50 pound fox would be a mammoth...

and if he's a fox, he's more scared of you than you are of him. if he approaches you, i'd bet he's rabid

13. Ladybug1395

Ladybug1395 Member

fox

I have seen a fox in our subdivision also. It is a gray fox. There are not many around here. Just google it and it will show you what it looks like.

14. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

15. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

I'm thinking its a coyote, they are loaded in that area!!

16. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

I had 2 foxes in my yard last summer. My cat was in the yard at the same time and they did not bother him. Unfortunately, you can't be sure, but if you read up on foxes you will find that they don't tend to mess with cats and dogs because they're usually close to the same size. Puppies and kittens, yes. They also tend to wander for miles around, so the chance of them coming back to your yard is not likely. With that being said, I don't know that animal control is necessary. Just be careful with composting piles or leaving food out, because that tends to attract them. When they were in my yard I had put out bread for the birds. I don't do that anymore!

http://www.thefoxwebsite.org/index.html

17. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Based on the description, I think that's a lot more likely.

18. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

My husband informed me that the foxes that he sees are not red ones but the brown ones. We usually see the red ones in PA. Our neighbors cat was attack several months ago and we believe a fox got him. He was lucky to get away.

19. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

Are there really a lot of coyotes in the area? I've never seen one. I guess that's good...that I've never seen one.

20. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

yes, tons around here!!