Problem With Our House - What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Jul 23, 2008.

1. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Our house is less than two years ago. Little by little, we are ending up with oncoming problems with our house:

1. Wet ceiling in our kitchen - one of the water pipe is not tight enough, so we had to call a plumber and they had to take some drywall off from the ceiling in order for them to tighten the pipe. My husband replace it with the new drywall and patched it up.

2. Foyer's wet ceiling - as it turned out, it was from the leaking tin roof. We call our home insurance company and they will come here to check it out this week.

Now, as you can see we're concerned, and one year warranty from the homebuilder has expired, what should we do? We have two neighbors who had similar problems like our's. Should we sue the builder or what?

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Were the problems noted before the year expired? Did your builder provide a home warranty like AHS?

Have you called the builder and asked him/her about it before you threaten to sue them? Some of them are decent folks, you can also catch more flies with honey than vinegar. 8)

3. sus

sus Well-Known Member

Contact your Builder and let him know whats going on. AT least give him a chance to rectify the situation. TAke pictures of everything before you repair. If builder refuses to do anything then you can fin dout who is insurance carrier is and file a claim. Not sure that it will be covered but its a start

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

just because i listen to clark howard a lot and i hear the horror stories, i'd say be very careful with calling your insurance company on something that would cost less than about 10K to fix...the way he lays it out, it sounds like many companies are just looking for an excuse to drop you

5. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

1) Contact your builder.
    If no action
    2) Don't you live in Flowers Plantation? If so, call Becky Flowers Bullock and let her know about your problem with builder.
    If no action
    3) Call Monica at WRAL's "5 On Your Side"
    the squeeky wheel gets the oil