What was that driver thinking???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Jul 24, 2008.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3259957/

I'm really trying to give the bus driver the benefit of the doubt............but I just can't imagine what he/she was thinking putting a 6 year old off the bus.............BY HIMSELF!!

Luckily the kid started knocking on doors, but good grief! :evil::evil::evil:

2. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Good grief, what an idiot!

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Apparently the kid got on the wrong bus by mistake. His mother watched him get on the bus, shouldn't she have noticed it was not the right one? Not excusing the bus driver at all, he should have contacted his superior to find out what to do, not put a 6-year old off the bus by himself.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I wondered the same thing, but no one ever told me before school started what DS's bus number was. Otherwise, how would she know?

5. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

I know my assistant is required to call every parent whose child is on her bus list. She tells them the time her bus should be there, the bus number, and lets them know to be there early in case her route goes more quickly than central office says it will go.

Of course, that's JCS, not Wake County. Wake County did fire the driver fairly quickly.

6. cece

cece Well-Known Member

I can tell you that my childrens bus number changed frequently due to a shortage of busses, breakdowns and whatever.... So we never knew what the bus number would be. I believe that the article stated that no other bus came... I believe it also stated that the bus dropped off at the same school... So, not sure what happened... But I could certainly see why the parent felt comfortable putting her son on that bus...

7. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

I was also wondering what DS's bus number would be this coming year.

My mom actually got on the wrong bus when she was little. She went all the way to school and it was closed. My Granny got fussed out by a 7 yr old when mama got home! :lol:

8. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

ya know - some of these stories tick me off.....here we are ready to hang a bus driver on the word of an eight year old!

How many of us have or had perfect eight year old where we could believe every word that came out of his or her mouth and every story that child ever told was absolutely true, down to the last word?

Bet mom sues that bus company for money.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Pepper, he was 6, and the mother saw the child get on the bus..........................

10. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

Actually Wake Co. Schools said the incident happened just like the mom/kid said.

11. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

Any person who would leave a 6 year old alone on the side of the road should not work anywhere near or around children, should not have children and if he has nieces or nephews should not be allowed to be around them unless a responsible adult is there as well.

Good thing the little boy knew to start knocking on doors. I am so glad that my kids were in daycare when they were that little. I had to be to work at 8 in RTP and lived in Clayton so there wasn't any possible way that I could do without before school daycare.

12. dbs241

dbs241 Well-Known Member

I heard Brady's mom this morning on WQDR and she was saying that she actually spoke to the driver and the driver acknowledged which school Brady attends. Mom said that she forgot something at home and went back a few minutes later and a neighbor told her that Brady had knocked on her door asking for a ride to school. Mom also said that the school system wouldn't give her any information because it would violate the driver's privacy. Go figure!

13. Desdemona25

Desdemona25 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you on this one. My daughter rides the bus. I know the bus number AND who the driver is. The mother should have known.

14. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

My guess is she WASN'T thinking..... I'd be one mad mommy. Poor liitle kid was upset when I seen it on the news. He made me want to cry!

15. Desdemona25

But did the driver change too? I know that when school first started for us the driver changed a little bit but then they finally had the full time driver. But when they had a different driver or 2 at the very beginning, the driver would ask for the school just to make sure they were picking up the correct child.

16. turtlepits

As many buses as Wake County has, bus numbers change. This morning my kids got on a different bus number than last year. When we went to the school to meet the teachers, we went to the cafeteria to get the bus number and they didn't even have the numbers assigned yet. They went by color codes.

17. Desdemona25

I can see how the individual bus numbers could change (in the shop for maintenance, bus was replaced, etc.). Ours are color coded (for the school's purposes) but also the individual routes are numbered. The route number sign hangs in the window right by the door. I don't know if the drivers are familiar with what system the individual school uses, i.e. if our driver knew he was driving "the white bus."

You'd think that by the first day of school they'd have all this done!

18. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Yes, they went through a few drivers too. I am not sure why they kept rotating drivers. My oldest is the only one who rides the bus after an incident that happened to us last year.... My child's teacher put my 6 year old on the wrong bus...... not ONCE, but TWICE!!!! And don't you know that I was on the phone to the school both times. We were very fortunate that we knew someone at the bus stop that my child was dropped at and I immediately got a call. I was livid, my child was upset and the teacher would not accept responsibility for her error.... The school bus coordinator told us - maybe your child should not ride the bus...... WHAT?!?!?!

19. turtlepits

Agree. I just can't image how that little boy felt. I know my kid would probally panic cause we are still new to the area and we don't know any of the neighbors. I'm just glad some stranger didn't grab this kid up.

20. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Call me paranoid, but this is exactly why I drive my kids to school every day. I was just talking to someone about this a couple weeks ago, before this story came out. My kids ride the bus home, but I drive them to school every day, and probably will all the way through elementary school at least. I have this paranoia about my kids not getting to school and my not knowing it. And it's not just them not getting on the bus, it's accidents that I won't find out about, or getting kidnapped, anything. As long as I am capable, I will drive my kids to school every day. I don't care how much gas is, it's worth it to me!