Scholarships & Grants

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Jul 29, 2008.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

I know some of you work for larger corporations and I need a big favor.

If any of your employers offer scholarships or grants, please let me know. You can PM me if you like.

For example, Farm Bureau offers a small scholarship (like $500) to folks outside of the company, if you plan on going into agriculture.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Depending on the students interest, don't forget Industrial Trade Groups such as the American Chemistry Council.

3. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

Always think outside the box when it comes to Scholarships and Grants.

If a student has a special health issue consider that national organization. Example: diabetes/ American Diabetes Society.

Tylenol offers scholarships.

You'd be amazed what's out there if you get curious and look.

If the student is eyeing a particular school then also contact that school for a list of Scholarships offered through Alumni, on campus organizations and such.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Oh, Jen, what a great Thread to start. We will need every bit of help possible. Thanks to those who posted as sometimes someone not so involved can think outside the box for others.

Sherry

5. JenniferK

I guess I'll have to spill a little in order to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

I've been accepted to go back to school. I'm nervous and excited, but I'm more nervous about how I'm going to pay for it.

I'm doing all the stuff I'm supposed to, applied for a Pell Grant, made an appointment with Financial Aid, but my understanding from a very nice admissions counselor is that I should do as much looking and research as possible.

So here I am.

It would help you guys to know that I'm pursing a career in education, and will going part time.

I looked at Tylenol, and it's only offered for those headed towards healthcare. But please, keep the ideas coming!

6. le

le Well-Known Member

No scholarship/grant info but GOOD FOR YOU!!!

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

8. JenniferK

9. JenniferK

Well, yes, it is actually. But I pay for mine myself, so I guess thats the difference, lol...

10. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I remember going through this with our son, who attended high school at Clayton. I know when we were doing this for my son, I went to the school website each week to check what scholarship information they had. One of the guidance counselors (I believe it was a guidance counselor) kept that information updated.

As my son went to NC State, he completed their application and received scholoarship money from State. He ended up winning the Farm Bureau scholarship. Since he is in the agriculture field, he entered the garden competition during the NC State Fair and he ended up with money for placing second (about $500). Though all the awards were small amounts, there were several which added up. By the time we were done calculating his award money, we paid minimal. During his orientation, one of the professors talked about a job, which would allow the applicant to live in a small apartment off of the job site for free. Also included was a small salary. His job was to water the greenhouses every other week (including weekend). It worked out perfect. He had the job for all semesters, was close to campus, cooked his own food at the apartment which in the long run actually saved us thousands of dollars.

If your student's school does not have anything posted on their website, check with the guidance counselor. Also check the college website to see what scholarship information they have for incoming freshman.

11. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

When I went to Campbell I got a scholarship for being a Baptist female from Johnston county!! There are books in the library that have lists and lists of the little ones, but they can add up if you have the time to apply for them. It takes a lot of work since they all want an essay (or comparable).

I heard a commercial on the radio about some program that will pay for your college in NC if you sign a contract to teach in NC for X amount of years. Have you looked into that?

Congrats and good luck.

12. JenniferK

ljk,

I think that's probably the Teaching Fellows program, which I don't qualify for because I'm not a high school senior.

I just called my church office though, to see if the Assemblies of God offers a scholarship fund. Thanks for the idea!

13. sus

sus Well-Known Member

14. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

You need to fill out FAFSA as soon as possilbe and put your school's code in there. Also note that you have to have a certain amount of credit hours each semester for a lot of scholarship/grants. I've been doing this for 3 years now since I have 2 in college. If you would like, you can email me and maybe I can give you some tips/suggestions. And congrats on going back to school.

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

No information here, but just wanted to say "Awesome, Jen!".

16. JenniferK

My FASFA has already been sent in, I won't qualify for any federal money. Which, is sad, but I won't get into it right now.

I'm probably just going to have to take out loans for now, but thanks sus for that sight, I've found a few things on there I hadn't seen before!

17. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Apply for a minority scholarship and go to NCCU

18. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

I had a friend that did that, it was the only way she could go to school! Good thinking Koo.

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Try scholarships.com - I've been looking too for my kids and found this site last night.

20. stillbroke

stillbroke Well-Known Member

Jen,
    it's too late for this year, but my daughter got the Prospective Teacher's Scholarship loan.
    it is less than the Teacher's fellowship, but it let's you attend a Community college the first 2 yrs. it's enough to pay the tuition at the comm. college.

look under the CFNC, under the scholarships.

Prospective teachers Scholarship loan. (have to agree to teach in NC for 4 yrs)
    2500.00 for the first 2 yrs and 4000.00 for the last 2 yrs.