CMS electives

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Pickle, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

DD and I were just wondering what electives there are for 6th graders and how many do they get?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. casidycoop

casidycoop Guest

What a good question, I hope someone has an answer for this.
    I do know that they are unable to play on their sports teams intil 7th grade.

3. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

I know keyboarding and PE are two of them. They get one each half of the year (if I am remembering correctly).

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

also band and art 8)

5. jillywilly

jillywilly Active Member

If you take band, you will not have spanish or art, but you will have pe, keyboarding, and career decisions - those 3 are the required electives for 6th grade. Band lasts all year and the other 3 classes are 12 weeks each. So if you don't take band, then you have other options like art, spanish, and I think drama is one. My kids all took band so I'm not sure what the other options are.

6. Grammie

Grammie Guest

Does anyone know if there are electivies for 7th?

7. jillywilly

jillywilly Active Member

It's pretty much the same as 6th grade - if you take band, then you don't have art or spanish. Instead of Career decisions you have Global Connections or Consumer science (home ec). All 7th graders have pe and computer.

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

9. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I meant Cleveland Middle, totally forgot about Clayton Middle. So are they going to have them choose electives and get all the schedules done after some orientation session 2 days before school starts? Not that it would surprise me much if that was the way it worked.
    Thanks for the info everyone.

10. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I dunno - have you tried calling the school to ask them this question? Seems mine did theirs at the end of the 5th grade, but that was yrs ago.........:cry:

11. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

no, the kids do not get to pick their electives in 6th grade. You will get their schedule at orientation and it will have them already on there. Maybe be exceptions for band, I don't know.

12. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Yes, I just called. They are "exploratory" classes and not really electives.:neutral: I was told they will all be assigned one semester for computers and one for PE.

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

My son had spanish class when he was in the 6th grade and had band @ Cleveland Middle. He attended it *maybe* one day a week. The content was pretty basic - colors, numbers, etc. Easy "A".

14. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Pretty basic stuff for exploratory classes. Guess it is up to us parents to teach the Humanities at this point.