Childcare

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Tigers are Grrr8!, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Tigers are Grrr8!

Tigers are Grrr8! Active Member

Hi All,

My wife and just today found a buyer for our house in Michigan. We have less than 3 weeks to make it down to Clayton, get set back up with jobs, and find safe and reliable childcare for our children. We have two daughters, 3 & 4.

We had originally planned to put them in a childcare center, since Clayton seems to have some decent options. My sister, however, has told me I should explore having someone come to our house to take care of the kids. She did that for years and said it was more affordable and loved the girl that worked for her.

My wife and I will both be teachers. I don't know if that makes a difference, but we have more vacation time than people in most other professions.

Questions:

What is the best child care center in the area? Is it affordable?

When we visited Clayton about 6 months ago to investigate, it was going to cost about $500/week for both kids. Does that sound about right?

Does anyone know of anybody that might be interested in at home childcare? How might I find someone reliable and safe?

Does anyone have any idea of the cost of at-home childcare?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions to ask, but we're still in shock that someone is planning to buy our house!!!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

Private (in-home) childcare is almost always less expensive than daycare facilities are. You may have some difficulty finding someone who will come to your home. Most provide childcare in their own home.

Run through the classifieds here and on Craigslist. If you can't find anything suitable for your needs, PM me and I'll get you in touch with my wife. She has an in-home daycare in Willow Spring (just other side of I40, close to 42/50 and 50/210) and has two openings.

Good luck with your search.

3. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

We were in the same position you are three years ago.

I have one left in daycare. Try Little Stepping Stones (they have two locations). They have a lot of teacher's children. I know it would be less than the figure you quoted, if you decide to go that route. I teach, too :)
    Good Luck and welcome!

4. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

What part of Clayton are you looking to be in? I would recommended Kids R Kids which is near Walmart on Hwy 70 in Clayton. You could have full time care for both children for less than $500/week and they are one of the more expensive centers in the area. Good luck to you!

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

<zipping flamesuit> 2000 a month seems like it would take up most of a teacher's paycheck - if you were to pay that why not just stay home with them?

Anyways, a reputable registered inhome daycare would run just about the same as a regular center. Any dirt cheap deals out there are most likely not registered and monitored, and sub par. Every once in awhile I see an ad right here in the 4042 classifieds for x-teachers who has left the work force to stay home and are looking to pick up some cash. Those I might look into.

6. Cleopatra

7. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

Just an FYI: In-home daycares have to be licensed if they have more than two full-time children per one adult. Two or less full-time does not require a license. If licensed they are allowed to have up to five per. Those numbers go up for part-time and before/after school.

My wife has been in childcare - both public and private - for about 11 years. She wanted to stay home to raise ours so this is what she does for extra income. She has a degree in early childhood education.

8. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

:iagree:

9. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

A lot of teachers in the Clayton elementary schools (myself included) use/used Toddler's Inn on Hwy 70 in Clayton for daycare. They have a great staff, many of whom have been there for years and years. I don't know their current costs since I haven't needed them since my baby started kindergarten 4 years ago.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Highly recommend them as well, used them and loved 'em!

11. Cleopatra

How is your childcare search going?

12. bettyboop

bettyboop Guest

www.ncchildcare.net

Here you can search out childcare, look for any reports, DCD visits etc.

13. jws4ncsu

jws4ncsu New Member

Daycare in 42/40 Area

Our 3 year old attends Cleveland Child Care (a 3 star facility) off Old Drug Store Road and they are great! They have a lot of activities for the children -monthly calendars, splash day during the summer and lots of art projects. They actually compile a scrapbook from Day 1 that is yours once the child leaves the Center. That way you see in pictures and thru artwork all the changes your child has gone thru while in daycare.

He attended Little Stepping Stones on Technology Drive when it was a 3 star facility (it's now a 2 star) and withdrew him because he was being bitten excessively. Since you're new to the area you'd probably like to check out a site thru the Department of Health & Human Services where you can research daycares and look Visits & Actions Taken by DHHS....

http://ncchildcaresearch.dhhs.state.nc.us/search.asp

14. jws4ncsu

jws4ncsu New Member

Daycare in 42/40 Area

Sorry, forgot to include the info. for Cleveland Child Care, their website is: www.clevelandchild.com.

Hope the information helps!

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The info may help someone else, but I have it on good authority they aren't moving here. Sorry to hear it too. I met them on one of their visits and they were very nice folks. :?

16. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

^^^^ <pout> was looking forward to meeting them.

17. Cleopatra

That's too bad.