Downtown Museums

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I haven't been in years and just wondering a couple of things as we plan on taking the kids there this weekend. I know the Museum of Natural Sciences has free admission. Also, the Museum of Art on Blue Ridge. Is there a Museum of History Downtown? If so, is there an admission charge. We would have loved to have visited the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit but for us to pay $158 to see it, we just can't. So, trying to find some museums that aren't pricey(free would be really nice--LOL) and learn a few things along the way. Anyone else know of some stuff downtown? Thanks in advance.

stephanie-mom to 7

2. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

3. Abdulina

Thanks. And we'll definitely give a donation. Just can't do $100 or more a pop for an outing. We used to love Durham Life Sciences Museum but even that is out of reach now. This will be fun AND educational. We plan on doing the Natural Sciences Museum and the History Museum tomorrow morning and back in time for a doc appt. that afternoon. Should be fun. Any other cost effective local outings? I know of Pullen Park. And other stuff that maybe I've missed over the years? Let me know. Thanks a bunch.

Stephanie--mom to 7

4. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

What about bowling? We have enough for all your gang to bowl one free game (coupons from school) but you still have to rent shoes. ($2.50 each I think) my boys love it!

5. John Cocktoasten

John Cocktoasten Well-Known Member

6. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Marbles is definitely worth the $5 fee. Every time we go we are there 3.5+ hours and my children still are not ready to leave. We only go a few times a year so it is a real treat for them. http://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org/

7. kmmsmile

kmmsmile Member

I agree we took the kids to Marbles this summer and they loved it. It's fun for everyone.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

9. Abdulina

John, this sounds awesome! I may have to check this out next weekend. I know the rifle demonstration the boys would get a kick out of. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for the offer ljk. i forgot we have those from school as well. Have to put those to use one day as well. Just want something different. I think the museums and the civil war demonstration are perfect. Marbles sounds wonderful but even $45 is just really tight right now w/ school starting back. Thanks for all the ideas and sounds like we'll have an awesome time.

Have a relaxing weekend everyone!

Stephanie--mom to 7

10. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Stephanie - I could be wrong, but I think it said this was 8/16, which would be this weekend. Just don't want you to miss it if you're thinking of going! I'll be at the beach, otherwise I think I"d go too!

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

the natural science and history museums are on the same mall in downtown raleigh, between the capitol and the legislative bldg. you can park once, and see all four!...museums and capitol are free. and all are awesome....