Need food ideas for PreTeen party

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by my2monkeys, Aug 19, 2008.

1. my2monkeys

my2monkeys Member

I am having a sleepover party for my daughter this weekend and am at a loss for food ideas. We are doing hamburgers and hot dogs for dinner but I cant figure out what to do for sides. She and a few of her friends seem bored with all my ideas. Does anyone have any good ideas out there?

Thanks!

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

The last time my 12 year old had a sleep over, one of the things they requested was Doritos and cream cheese. Go figure.

I'd probably do some baby dill pickles, chips and dip, maybe some carrots and ranch dressing, m&m's, popcorn, etc...

3. cece

cece Well-Known Member

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

eww eww rice krispie treats...I think I will make those this weekend for the beach birthday sleepover with my boys and their friends.....good idea. I forget about those.

5. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

If they like chocolate you can make the following:

1 chocolate cake (you can either bake it or buy it)
    2 large packages of instant chocolate pudding
    1 large bowl of cool whip
    Cherries w/out stems
    4 crunchy type candy bars (i usually use heath bars)

crumble chocolate cake in the bottom of a large glass bowl...just enough to cover the bottom. Cover cake with a layer of chocolate pudding, sprinkle crumbled candy bar over pudding and then add a layer of cool whip. Keep repeating this until you get to the top of the bowl...you should end up with cool whip on the top. sprinkle the rest of the candy bar and add cherries. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

Both of my teenage boys love this and they actually like to help me make it.

6. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

I would set up a bunch of stuff for an ice cream party! Lots of toppings, etc. WW is killing me this time around...

7. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

I like the idea of an ice cream party, you could also do a nachos buffet with all the toppings and let them do there own. If you are not 100% on the hotdogs you could do pizza's and let them make there own..

But everyone has given you some good ideas..
    Have Fun

8. NCGIRL

NCGIRL Well-Known Member

How about a make your own pizza party?

9. my2monkeys

my2monkeys Member

We are going to a pizza party earlier in the day. 6 of the 12 girls will be at that party so I dont know that I should do a pizza party. I love the ideas! Thanks so much! I just felt clueless.

I am not hip on a hot dog and hamburger either but 4 of the kids wanted that. We have 3 parties that day so I am trying to do simple and not a lot of prep as well.

10. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

You could do tacos instead of hamburgers and hot dogs. You can buy the cheese and lettuce already shredded and you can ground up the hamburger the night before then just warm it up when you get home. If they get the munchies later you can use the left over ground beef on the nachos.

11. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Just a thought here. Make sure to ask the parents of the kids your inviting about any food allergies, there is an increase of nut allergies among kids these days and some can have severe reactions to them.
    Have fun and I am so glad it's you and not me, as fun as they were I'm glad those days are gone for me.
    Now I just have the college tuition. Wish it were as cheap as the sleep overs.:lol:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was going to suggest. We have done tacos and laid out a buffet with the lettuce, tomatoes, etc. They love putting them together and yes the leftovers can be used for nachos, if you have leftovers.

We always have chips and dip, a veggie tray and the popcorn bags. I always let them just graze throughout the whole thing and don't open up everything because if they don't eat it I don't want it to spoil. They usually like to use our kitchen as a scavenger hunt to find what they want...what a hoot!

Have fun,
    Sherry

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I would hope that by the time they are pre-teens, they would know if they have a specific food allergy and what they can't eat.

I'm just sayin'.....8)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  14. my2monkeys

my2monkeys Member

I know I have nut allergies. I think the taco's is a good idea. We may like that better. I am making my own trail mix for the movie that night. Then the next morning we are having pancakes and the fixings.

Thanks everyone. I love the ideas.

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

What does a guy do when this happens? :confused:

16. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

Unless the guy actually likes nuts it shouldn't be a problem. If he does happen to like nuts, he may have issues.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Most of the males I know like their nuts!

18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

How funny! I would hope they like their nuts because if they don't they are screwed (or not). :jester:

Sherry

19. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

o_O Did you just say that?

HAHA!

I had to re-read that to make sure.

20. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I used to make pigs in a blanket for my niece and her friends. Take a small biscuit, put a third of a hot dog in it and a small piece of cheese, wrap it up and pinch the biscuit together really well and bake. Very easy!