Computer has virus

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Cyndi, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Cyndi

Cyndi Guest

Hi everyone - Our computer at home appears to have gotten a virus. Most everything works ok still except the internet. We can get into some websites, but most don't work. I think it may be some type of Spyware because we keep getting popups and messages saying "your computer is in danger of a virus" or something like that. We tried running our AVG program ad it did detect a virus. But it won't let us heal it and it says the AVG Control Center is not working and/or not installed.

Is there anyone locally in the 40/42 area who can help fix this? We don't want to take it somewhere like Best Buy or something because we are afraid it will be too expensive. We need someone who can take a look at it and figure out how to wipe the virus out. OR, if someone has knowledge on how we can fix it ourselves, that would be great. We do have a ton of blank CDs that we can back our stuff up on, but I wouldn't know what to do after that.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Cyndi

2. claytonsassy

claytonsassy Well-Known Member

ME TOO:x:x

Auxie likes this.
  3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Ddrdan posted a list of things to get rid of spyware a while back, try an advanced search on spyware posted by him.

4. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Here it is, I found it:
    Ewido link: http://www.ewido.net/en/

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Go Grandma!!!!!! :lol::lol:

The w32salty virus is making a comeback. I've found it on 3 PC's this week! It's the biggest pain in the butt hack I've ever had to handle. Seems this new version has been modified. All 3 times I had to reload the Operating system to get rid of it. Must be some stupid email, or site link, going around that people just can't resist opening.

Be careful with your backup's. This creep has designed it to piggy back on common files that you would normally back up. Before you reload files you've backed up on CD, scan the CD with a antivirus software. I found Kapersky did a great job on it.

6. Besides doing the disk cleanup go to http://www.ccleaner.com/ and pull down the latest version and run that. It fines stuff that MS disk cleanup misses.
    I am going to have to check out that ewido. I have never heard of it before.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

UPDATE to my last post: Do not copy any old files with .INI extensions, restore files, or application files to anything you are going to put back on the hard drive after re-install.

Just had to re-install again. Use two different virus scans on your copied files on the backup CD you make.