Alternate Route If Bridge Underwater?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Sep 4, 2008.

1. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

We have a bridge not too far from my place and it's located between Flowers Plantation's Food Lion and Hess gas station, both located on 42. If the bridge happens to be underwater, what is the alternative route for me to reach Garner? All I think of is to head straight to Wilson and then get back on 70, and I guess the total driving time would be an hour?

2. bboykin

bboykin Guest

Bridge out

Take Castlebury Road to Cover Bridge Road. Turn left and it will bring you back into Clayton close to TR Lee Oil Company and the Library.

3. biguncfan

biguncfan Guest

Well, put your head between your legs and..........errr............just kidding. Try Covered Bridge Rd into Clayton. If it is also flooded I would suggest just getting map book or printing out a google map of the immediate area. Or rent a helicopter.

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

hmmm...canoe and a paddle :jester:

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, if the bridge is underwater over THERE, it's probably going to be underwater over HERE too, LOL. It's all the Neuse River, I believe. Gotta cross it everday to get to Clayton from Covered Bridge/Loop Road 8) I've lived here for several years now, and I've seen it get up, but never endanger the bridge. I don't think you have cause for worry Cake this weekend. The other one coming, Ike, that one I am worried about. :?

6. cmdknw06

cmdknw06 Well-Known Member

You *should* be fine. It wasn't covered during Fran. And lots of places were covered during Fran!

K

7. biguncfan

biguncfan Guest

Not Fran.......It was Floyd in Sept. of 99. Fran was the trees down, wind damage. Floyd was the flooding hurricane.

8. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Did Floyd covered the bridge?

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Well you could contact Our Two Senators and your Representative and request a $400,000,000 bridge be put in that won't be flooded.

But you know if the fallout starts to cloud their potential political future plans they will tell Washington to stuff it!

10. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

the bridge will not flood there, but Castleberry Rd will flood on that end of the road, but we are not expected to get that much rain so you should be fine, but if it does go up to Buffalo Rd and Hit Covered Bridge Rd into Clayton!

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Not to patronize, but remember not to take the risk in crossing just a little bit of water across a swollen creek. I must admit, I can't remember the details, but there was a little Clayton or Cleveland area girl who drowned during one of those hurricanes in the late nineties when her dad's car was washed into the creek. I think it was the road that runs from Guy Road (near Amelia Church Rd.) to Cornwallis Road. Some of my details may be fuzzy, but it does happen. Bad decisions get made and often are undoable.

12. rbcwolf

rbcwolf Active Member

It happened on Cornwallis Road just before the bridge over Swift Creek just south of NC-42. A father and daughter drowned after there car was swept away off the low point of the road before the bridge. It doesn't take much water to wash a car away.

That section of road and bridge have flooded 2-3 times in the 20 years I have been out here. Its best to stay off the roads especially at night during or after hurricane type storms.

13. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

Go down Buffalo Rd (turn left at the Grocery Bag) then left onto Buffalo at the Archer Lodge area, turn left onto Turnipseed (@ Clyde's Chapel Church)and right on Smithfield and you will be on your way to the 64 bypass!