Rodanthe movie review

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hatteras6, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Folks,

Took my sweetie to see it tonight.

Advice..
    1. If you're going with a bunch of girl friends, get there early so you can sit together.
    2. Take tissues.
    3. take another pack of tissues or get napkins from the popcorn grease dispenser area.
    4. Scott Glenn will get an Oscar nomination as best supporting actor. You heard it here first.
    5. Really, take a boatload of tissues, and when you hand them to the males who are sniffing, don't rub it in.

DW liked the screenplay for the most part. I did not, but I could see how the needs for filming it that way happen.

I object to the music played as folks think that all southerners listen to bluegrass...Beach parties would usually play beach music. If you don't know what beach music is, you're probably not from an area between Norfolk to Myrtle Beach.

Banker ponies do not run freely along the Outer Banks. They are penned in on the Outer Banks, except for Shackleford, where they do roam between Shackleford to Carrot Island, near Beaufort. They did get the story line right as to the origin of the Banker Horses. The horses they used were not Banker Horses. The movie horses were too tall and thin. Banker Horses are shorter and stockier.

The speech patterns of old families and old line natives of the Outer Banks is not Southern, but more of a mixture of what is known as the Down East Brogue.

I rate the movie as a 8 out of 10, and will buy it on DVD.

Enjoy it, and remember...take the darned tissues.

2. Aglassnut

Aglassnut Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review. It's too bad that it's not my kind of movie, but I'll rent it for my wife when it comes out. She can watch it in the living room and I can fly an F-15 on the computer in the back room.

Mike

3. Hatteras6

Mike,

Too funny...and the female to make percentage was 96-4. I remarked to the policeman in the lobby that the makeup of the audience reminded me of a Barry Manilow concert...and he laughed for a bit at that, and agreed.

While waiting for DW to finish her potty stop, I observed the folks exiting that movie. We were some of the first out, so I had a neat vantage place. I don't believe that I saw a woman leaving that wasn't dabbing her eyes. And saw quite a few men sniffling too.

I read all of Spark's novels. And see every one of his movies. As a native Down Easter, and writer, I admire Spark's use of local settings to write his novels.

With some friends in the movie industry, I also watch to see how screenwriters adapt to the bug screen.

When I saw Scott Glenn, all I could think of was his great work in Silverado. Good actor.

4. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Planning to take my mom and daughter tomorrow to see it. Now I'll have to pack the bigger purse to hold all the tissues! I haven't been to a movie in the theater in over 5 years so I'm glad to hear this one will be worth it! I, too, have read all of Spark's novels and loved them all!

5. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of working with Spark's when he moved to New Bern. He is a super nice person! He is quite a romantic and it shows when he talks about his wife. I worked with BB&T and my job was quite unique. He was refered to me by the realtor who sold him his home. I sent him a package of info on our services and explained how I could help with his move. As I always did, I gave him a few days to receive and review the info and I called him and introduced myself. He very politely told me he could manage his move but he appreciated my offer. Well, about a month later he called and said 'Pat, would you please help me'? We worked well together and his move went as smooth as silk!! Just wanted to share that experience!! Pat

6. tams

tams Well-Known Member

It was a great movie. Love watching Diane Lane & Richard Gere together. Man, he has grown older gracefully to put it mildly.

7. j*j*s*mom

j*j*s*mom Well-Known Member

saw it friday night, loved it. but definitely bring lots of tissues and get there early.

8. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Saw it Saturday as planned and it was wonderful. Funny thing was I think there were only 2 men there. One got up to dispose of the popcorn bucket and soda cup just as everyone was getting choked up! Made me want to visit the Outer Banks soon! Hubby and I always rate the DVD's we watch based on whether we would have felt it was worth the money to see them in the theater first, and usually the answer is no. But in this case, it was money well spent!

9. Hatteras6

Were we the only ones to notice that the steps leading onto the beach and into the water disappeared and reappeared at times throughout the movie?

And, if you want to se banker's horses in the wild, and not penned, you should go to Harker's Island, east of Beaufort. You can also see them across the channel from Beaufort on Carrot Island, and even take a small boat ferry across to the island. We published a kids book about a young lady from Beaufort who befriends one of the horses, Treasure of Diamond's Shoal. We spent about three weeks down there doing research on the area and the biology of those horses.

This weekend is the Seafood Festival. No way on the world wold I go there, as the roads and parking aren't sufficient for the crowds. And crowded, it will be. Most of our family and freinds will have stocked up on food, milk, etc, by Wednesday so they don;t have to go into the traffic nightmare this weekend.