Do you think this was fair?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Oct 6, 2008.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Very well said - thank you for your input. From day one my dd has said that this teacher does not 'teach'. SHe gives them an assignment and tells them to figure it out. Now I could understand if she did that to challenge them and then went over it and explained it - but she doesn't. My dd stays for tutoring and is so far doing well in the class, but I'm sure there are others that are struggling. And, this is the only honors chem offered. :neutral:

2. 3kidsMom

3kidsMom Guest

Wow - I'm surprised to hear this about this teacher. My youngest brother is in the same block with the same teacher as dd. He loves it! He says this might be the best teacher he's ever had and although he takes a lot of AP and Honors classes he's never really been a fan of science. He says the teacher actually makes it fun. I've also heard that she had the highest test scores in the county last year so if she isn't teaching anything it sounds like she's doing something right. My brother says the class is really hard, but it's supposed to be! I know when my oldest starts at West in 2 years, I'm hoping the teacher will still be there so she can take her class! Have you talked to the teacher about the issue? All of the teachers have a website with an email contact form - that seems a lot more fair than blasting her on a discussion board??? I mean, there's only 1 honors chemistry teacher so even though her name hasn't been mentioned, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who we're all talking about. Just an thought, I know I'd hate to see a lot of people I don't even know talking about me on a discussion board when I've never been approached personally.

3. colinmama

colinmama Guest

Welcome to the board. I'm glad you shared this perspective.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:iagree:

Imagine that....

5. exit319

exit319 Member

School.. Fair?

Life is never fair so why would school be any different? If some of the kids are going to misbehave, then the whole class should be punished. Its called guilty by association. If your caught with the crowd, then your all going to be punished its what happends... its reality. Honestly if your child is in High School, then they should suck it up and do thier homework. If they are in HONORS chemistry they should be old enough to be ready for the real world. If they are complaining about homework then they sure aren't ready for what life is going to bring them. But if my parents complained on a website about MY homework load, I probably wouldn't be ready for what the REAL WORLD brings me either. And by the way, the teacher your talking about is one of the best teachers we have at our school, and she is one of the only ones who actually care about the students. So we should be greatful we have her.
    Have a great Day [:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I agree with a whole class being punished, but not 3 classes later - the punishment being doubled and trickling down. Block 3 has ZERO control over Blocks 1 or 2.

7. PirateGirl

It's not exactly how it was presented to begin with. As mentioned by other posters, discuss it with the teacher, put both stories together to find out exactly what happened.

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I thought that is how it was presented when I read it a few days ago. Sorry, my bad!

9. PirateGirl

Cleo, you're correct in saying that it was presented on the board as such....but there are 2 sides to every story.