West Johnston High School Marching Band & Macy's

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ready2cmyKing, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to your question other than maybe it is because the band has a Band Parents Association and they are the ones who organize and do the fundraisers, not the school or the band itself -- :confused:

Anyone else know?

2. meg

meg Well-Known Member

Well that might help a little. But I as I told Bandmom in PM the reason I was asking is because my child is an athlete with West Johnsont and they have been told they could only do one fundraiser per year.

So I didn't know if they were making an exception for the band due to Macy's or what. It would be nice if the athletes could also do more than just one per year to help off-set their travel and hotel stays.

3. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

:iagree: with Ready. I know the JV football team, and probably the varsity as well, had those discount cards they sold a while back. But I am just so happy the band is going! I don't even have a child in it...........yet. I'd love to see my daughter be in the colorguard when she gets up there......in 5 years.....(sigh).....I did the colorguard when I was a freshman till I graduated and it was soooooo fun.......

:nopity:ahhhhhh memories...........:nopity: ahhhhhhhhhh

But like most "things of the past". There are those that are better sutied to STAY there:oops::oops: :jester:

4. arkpals2u

arkpals2u Well-Known Member

I have been told by teacher at West.that they can hold so many fundraisers because it is the parent asociation holding the fundraiser- not the band itself.

Now, I have also heard (by a band parent) that the band is leaving Sunday and staying until Sunday, that they are taking in at least 2 broadway shows and at least one dinner cruise while in New York. So here is my question- could the band not save money by leaving Wednesday ( the parade is Thursday) coming home Sunday and maybe only seeing 1 broadway show? And if I have been informed correctly - should you not let the community know all the extra things you need money for?
    Don't get me wrong - it's great that they have the opportunity to play at Macy's I just wonder how much of the money needed is solely for the experience of marching in the parade and how much is for the extras.
    If I have been misinformed- I apologize in advance

5. dephygravitee

dephygravitee Well-Known Member

Meg, I in no way intended for my response to come across as negative or adversarial. I simply wanted to point out that many of the benefits of being a member of the band are a result of the support of an amazing community and team effort.

To answer your question, the West Johnston High School Band Parents Association is a non-profit organization and a separate entity from the school itself. This is why fundraising is handled in a different way than other programs in the school.

Again, I apologize if I came across in a negative manner...everyone's support of the band (and all activities at any school in Johnston County) are to be applauded.

6. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

As most know, my daughter goes to Clayton and is in the band there. We also have several fundraisers. The band does not get funding like the other sports do. Pretty much the bands do not get anything and have to raise the money for the kids to be able to go to different competitions and to participate in other events, such as West Johnston is doing with the Macy's parade. Band is very expensive and personally I think it is a shame that they do not get the funding that other sports do. Maybe one day the will, if parents keep pushing at the school board for this. Band is a big part of school any more and it deserves the same funding as the rest of the sports do.

7. colinmama

colinmama Guest

I tend to agree that I would like to know exactly what the money is going towards. When I think about donating for them to go to Macy's I think it is just for travel costs, lodging, uniforms, not broadway shows and dinner cruises. I do think cutting out at least one show would probably save a good chunk of money and dinner cruises aren't cheap. I am all for enjoying New York while you have the chance to be there, but these days money is tight for everyone so as long as people know that every effort to keep costs to a minimum is in place (and perhaps they are) I know at least it would make me more prone to donate again (I have already done so).

8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Just thinking out loud ... wouldn't it be a wonderful educational opportunity if the band were to cancel their trip and donate the $20,000+ being spent on the trip to help families in the community? What a life-time impact that could leave on the students and those who could be impacted by such a sacrific. Maybe they could cut the trip a little shorter, as someone else suggested, and donate part of the funds raised.

9. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I do not know how WJHS does things or how the trip is going to be, but for us, anything extra outside of the trip and lodging, we have to send extra money with the kids. I think the boosters provide one or two meals but that is usually pizza or something like that. If the kids want to go do something else, other than site see, they, the kids, pay for it (well actually the parents, but...) When our kids go to Indy to the Grand Nationals, things that will be covered will be the busses and lodging and I think 2 meals. The kids need to bring extra money for the rest of the meals and other things.

My DD will only be traveling one way with the bus because we will pick her up and then take her to visit her grandparents and her great grandmother (91) and aunts and uncles. We kill 2 birds with one stone since my family only lives a few hours away from Indy.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I can't come up with a response to this that won't get me flamed for being unsupportive of charity. Oh well.......................what in the world???:? Yeah, maybe cut the trip a bit short, but cancel the whole thing? I think not. I'd be ticked if I found out money I'd donated to this cause instead went to something different.

11. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

Let me get this clear in my head, you are supportive of students who have found in themselves a gift at performing a musical instrument and a desire to work diligently at performing to the best of their ability and have been given a once in a lifetime opportunity to perform in a very unique and americana event which will leave a lifetime memory which they can tell their children and their grandchildren about and have them cancel the entire trip in order for the entire band to donate the money which was collected for over a year which students and parents have invested thousands of volunter hours to collect and donate the money to the community instead of the COMMUNITY contributing donations to help families.

I think you are off your Rocker!

If you are so passionate about helping needy families then begin by collecting donations upon the preset that the funds are going to needy families and allow these families to enjoy their moment.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  12. whats4dessert

whats4dessert Member

Being one who was fortunate to have the opportunity to perform in the Macy's Parade back in the early 90's I would say that the experience can be as life changing as giving money to the community. Giving money and time and serving to those in need is awesome and I bet many of these kids have already been involved in doing that in our community so not to belittle the idea but this is a once in a lifetime experience. This is something they can tell their kids and grand kids about someday. Hope that makes sense still half asleep. :)

13. ready2cmyKing

The BPA is trying (not a guarantee) to raise funds to cover 1/2 of each students' expenses. The other 1/2 has to be paid for by the parents of the students. For any parents or family members going to Macy's, not one penny is being raised for our expenses (just FYI.) So, the money that is being raised by fundraisers for the kids' trip to Macy's IS for travel expenses, lodging, food, etc. The ONE Broadway show we're seeing, and any other sightseeing outings are being paid for by the families of the kids.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  14. ready2cmyKing

Shout out to WJHS for all their wins at Cary Band Days yesterday, and especially for taking home that Grand Champion Trophy! :hurray: See the results (mostly pages 5 & 6) here.

And let me just say, thank God for the time change last night... the band did not roll back into the WJ parking lot until 1:45ish THIS MORNING! :shock: After doing all he had to do before leaving the school, my ds and I pulled into our driveway around 2:20, oops I mean 1:20. Sure am glad we weren't springing forward last night! :)

I slept until almost 10:00, I haven't done that in ages!

Edited to add...

I just looked over the Cary Band days website and saw where photos and videos can be ordered. Here is the website with all the info.

Once again, congrats West band, you all have worked tremendously hard this season... and it shows. Can't wait to see y'all, in person, at Macy's! :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  15. ready2cmyKing

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  16. chik

chik Well-Known Member

GO WJHS. I'll be cheering from Colorado...welll actually I will be in Nebraska visiting my in laws. But I'll be cheering on one person I know (bandmom's daughter), and all the rest of the band.

17. soulshine

soulshine Well-Known Member

You are terrible. Those kids have given up all their free time and have worked so hard to get to where they are now and they deserve this trip and all the fun they can possibly have. To even suggest that they cancel is unbelieveable!!!

18. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

To the Band...Go and have fun and savory this moment. :hurray:

19. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

I'm with ncmom....and I WAS in the band in HS...

20. colinmama

colinmama Guest

What's terrible is you saying she is terrible for voicing her opinion on this board. That's what this place is all about.