West Johnston High School Marching Band & Macy's

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ready2cmyKing, Aug 5, 2008.

1. soulshine

soulshine Well-Known Member

Yes, and I posted my opinion as well and I'm sure the kids who have worked so hard to be in the Macy's parade and their parents will agree with mine rather than hers.

2. soulshine

You were in the band but I am guessing your HEART really wasn't in it!

3. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

:confused:

4. colinmama

colinmama Guest

Are you even thinking about what you are saying to people or are your emotions getting in the way? Because she has a different opinion than yours she didn't have her heart in the band? That's a pretty far leap if you ask me.

5. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

So what is their itinerary for the trip and what is the money they are raising paying for (meals, lodging, plays, etc. and for just band members or who)? I still haven't heard anyone say. All I know is they were trying to raise $100,000 and are still currently about $14,000 or so short. Anyone know what their New York plans are and what the $100,000 is paying for? There are band parents on here so I'm sure someone knows.

6. colinmama

colinmama Guest

Would be nice to see a breakdown. If the parents are paying for all of the fun activities it shouldn't factor in to the fundraising goal. How many students are going on the trip?

7. soulshine

No emotions here, I am just saying that if you are a dedicated band member (as in you have your heart in it) you would not want to cancel a trip and you worked so hard for the for and looked forward to. Frogger is agreeing with Colonmama that the band should cancel their trip and donate their hard earned money to charity so I am just guessing that neither of these two were ever dedicated band members. What should I think? What is your opinion?

8. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

HEART AND SOUL, you witless twit.

I worked my A$$ off to make, and stay, in 1st chair in all bands (jazz, concert & marching). I played 6 instruments, 5 of them worthy of individual scholarship offers for college--full ride (I auditioned with each separately). I was at every practice I could be, and practiced at home. I went to special trips and once-in-a-lifetime events.

Just FYI, our HS band was best in the state, played at the Rose Bowl, invited for a Super Bowl 1/2 time exhibition, and Cary's #1 rival all 4 years I was there. UNLIKE WJHS, instead of taking the spotlight, our band director opened up the SB invitation to all bands in the town and students from ALL of the local bands put rivalries aside, joined together and performed together at the 1/2 time show.

I ALSO: ran & lettered in track; participated in various clubs and volunteer organizations at school; bowled in a league and went to tourneys; danced (ballet, tap, jazz, and Company) and had performances 4x/yr; and in my Jr & Sr years I worked after school as well.

**The band was NEVER, I repeat...NEVER...required to raise outrageous amounts of money for band.

**We NEVER, EVER, had a "fee" to be in band.

**We also were NEVER pressured and/or bullied by the band officials (director, etc) and/or our band peers so that we felt we couldn't do anything but band for fear of our "life".

**As band members, we were required to volunteer in the community to help those less fortunate than ourselves. All of us, no matter our "station". We, as band members, had to do more volunteering then than what is required of Srs today. We also had to bring reports in, signed by someone who was sponsoring us (the shelter, nursing home, soup kitchen director, etc), discribing what we did and how it affected us.

I don't begrudge the band members their chance-of-a-lifetime opportunities. Who can say they've performed at the Rose Bowl? Been the 1/2 time show at a Super Bowl? Blew all the bands in the dust at BOA? Those are cherished memories to share with children and grandchildren. Memories that may spark the music bug in them as well. HOWEVER, the $$ the band director (and school) puts on students'/familys' backs is totally uncalled for.

Enjoy Macy's, just remember...no band is more important that the people in our community who don't even know from where their next meal is coming.

Frogger

9. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Post # 54, page 3:

10. froggerplus

Well, colin, guess she saw some "heart" from me huh? LMBO....

I would like to see a breakdown as well. I know a band mom who's oldest kid is just staying in the band this year to go to Macy's. She wanted to drop it to do other things, her heart isn't in it, but the trip tp Macy's was too much of a lure. Would you say that's the 'heart' for a band member?! This family can't afford the 'fair share' much less raising the $20k-or$40k they "had to" for Macy's. They're so stressed over the money to get to Macy's. T

he mom has 2 other children, both in high school, and they're suffering because of big sis. The other kids had to cut back/eliminate their activities because big sis was going to Macy's and the family couldn't afford anything else. At the moment, the parents aren't even sure they can afford to take the other 2 kids to Macy's. The non-band kids are getting the shaft. Burns me up.

BREAKDOWN would be nice. This mom is very active with the band, and couldn't give a breakdown the other day.....

Frogger

11. froggerplus

Thanks, Ready. I missed that post!

Just FMI, Ready, what is the exact breakdown? I ask because I was the coordinator for a huge trip to NYC awhile ago. Planned Broadway trips, etc. Things that went along with the group's interests. We were even staying in a GREAT hotel, had pick up/delivery to/from airport, and rented a HUGE bus to take us around. It didn't come anywhere NEAR $20k/person, and our schedule was for us to be there for a week (That included a prime time, great seat viewing of the longest running Bway show, Phantom). Is there an entry fee to the parade that is that huge???

Thanks!
    Frogger

<serious question, not aiming daggers>

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  12. ready2cmyKing

There are close to 200, 180-something, I think, kids in the band but I don't think they're all going to Macy's (it was optional.) I don't know the exact # of how many are going but I know it is a lot. Keep in mind that they are having to charter buses, which is not cheap. Also keep in mind the hotel and meal costs for all those kids. All of us traveling will be spending 2 nights on the buses, to keep costs down. I'm not part of the BPA but I know they have done everything in their power to keep the costs as low as possible.

These kids have worked VERY hard this season, they deserve this trip!

13. soulshine

Okay, *********, from your simple comment, it sounded like you didn't think the school band was that important. Now you go into this long response saying about how important it was to you. I don't know how old you are although you sound like an old fart but a long time ago it didn't cost as much as it does today for these trips. It does put a lot on the parents and that's why there are the fund raisers to try and offset some of the cost and you want to donate it all to charity. There are wonderful organizations and churches who are there to help families in financial trouble. It should not be up to the high school band! And I just want to add that if you want to call me any more names, I suggest you do it in person. I will be at the cdh tomorrow after work.

14. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

hijack for a minute, frog how is your dad?

15. froggerplus

Mighty Christian of you SOULshine....

I took you to task because you automatically assumed both colin and I were heartless and think all $$ should go to the community.

Just a point of clarification here....I agreed with the trimming-some-fat-and giving-that to the community. In general, I think it's BS that the families go thru so much stress for the band. The school should be wacked for passing down the pressure. The families shouldn't have to decide to eat this Friday or put that $$ away for Macy's. It's just wrong.

Next time, don't a-s-s--ume.

Frogger

16. froggerplus

Mom, ur sweet :).

Daddy still has cancer, still won't talk about it, still won't set a date for our trip next summer.

Neck and back surgeries went ok. He's walking and all, in minimal pain from what it was. All he'll tell me is the general type of cancer then smoothly changes the subject. Right now, he's more worried about what I'm going thru, and keeps switching the focus back to me.

Wish he weren't so far away! :oops:

Thanks, again, for remembering, hon. Means a lot to me!
    Frogger

17. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

Parents have a funny way of doing this don't they, they never want the attention on themselves! I will continue to keep him and your family in my prayers sweetie!

18. ready2cmyKing

As I said, I'm not part of the BPA so I don't have all the info you're asking for. Where did the $20K/kid figure come from? If that were the case and say 150 kids went, this trip would cost $3,000,000! So, obviously that information is incorrect.

What I do know:
    The cost per student is $1119.00 and the BPA's goal was to raise $569 for each student.
    We are not staying in NYC because it is too expensive. We're staying in NJ to cut costs.
    The kids are staying 4 per room, to cut costs.
    We are spending 2 nights on the buses, to cut costs.
    We are seeing a Broadway play, going to the Museum of Natural History, going on a narrated Harbor Cruise, going on city tours, and seeing the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

I think the $550 that my husband and I spent for our child's part of the costs will cover the fun and educational part of it, don't you? :)

19. ready2cmyKing

We were told upfront that this trip was completely optional. No one HAD to choose to go. :?

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

These friends of yours should have told the daughter that if she wanted to go she would need to work to contribute to the band costs, so as not to take away from the other childrens activities. Then see how bad she really wants to go when she knows she is going to be expected to contribute. I grew up in a very affluent town where kids in h.s. were constantly handed things, I had to work and contribute to what I wanted. I didn't get stuff like that just handed to me, and it especially wouldn't have been at the expense of my younger sister not being able to pursue some extra-curricular activity that she was interested in. Makes you appreciate it more, get more value out it if you have some personal expense invested in it. And I'm not saying, pay half.. but contribute something to show you really want to go (1/2 of allowance, or 1/2 of weekend babysitting money).