Prayer request

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Have a prayer request for those who pray if you don't mind. My son goes in for surgery on Wednesday. This surgery will change his life forever if it works. Many of you on here know my youngest, Nik, is Deaf-blind. Though the blindness has not set in yet. Won't until the teen years. So we feel very compelled to get his ears working right so that he may have the ability to hear. His hearing aids now do not help. The surgery is cochlear implant surgery. It is 3 hours long. They drill into the skull to place a device adn a magnet. The external processor will be worn a month after surgery due to healing and such. Activation is Dec. 9th for him. So, if you would please pray for a positive outcome and a smooth surgery process for him this Wednesday, Nov. 12th. Surgery is at UNC. We are told will we indeed be able to come home the same day. With most my kids I ended up having to spend the night so very happy about this being same day surgery. Last year we had a major botched surgery done on one of my daughter's so this is a little nerve wrecking. That and there is so much at stake for him. Thanks in advance for the prayers for Nik.

Take care,

stephanie--mom to 7

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

you got it! thoughts and prayers.

I hope everything goes well.

3. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

will say a prayer for yall, Good Luck

4. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Will pray for him, Stephanie. And may God bless you and your husband abundantly for being such wonderful parents to your special children. :grouphug:

5. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

Heartfelt prayers for your entire family.

6. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I will keep you all in my prayers...........If you need anything else, let me know!

7. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Stephanie, we'll say a prayer for Nik too!

8. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

Stephanie - I will be keeping you, your family and especially Nik in my prayers before, during and after this surgery! Blessings to all!

9. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Prayers being said for you and your family. Please let us know how it goes.

Brenda

10. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Your family is in my prayers.

11. SpunkyPunky

SpunkyPunky Well-Known Member

God Bless.

May I ask if he has R.P. or Ushers?

Spunky (Will pray for you all)

12. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

I somewhat know what you are going thru (if you ever want to chat privately) I am there for ya.

Your son will be in my prayers for the next few days and for a fast recovery.

Ro

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Will most certainly say a prayer for your son. May you and your family be in the hollow of His hand.

14. Abdulina

On his records, it states Ushers. We don't think he has Ushers due to the auditory neuropathy dx as well. However, there is one other kid in the nation that we are aware of that has AN as well as Ushers. Crazy, huh. The opthalmologist that saw him said he has all the traits, characteristics and markers of RP. This guy has been doing this for over thirty years so I guess he knows his stuff. However, SO hoping he's wrong secretly. YOu know what I mean. told the RP won't really start setting in until the teen years. Typically, they said RP combined w/ Deafness means Ushers. However, that is not always the case. Either way, whether there's the genetic connection to the ushers or not, he's deaf and going to be blind most likely. Same outcome, just one would have a genetic connection and one doesn't. UNC genetics will not test him for Ushers. URGHH. They have to have a definitive RP dx even though its their people that tested him and gave him the dx. UNC will not make the dx "official" until he has an ERG done. UNC will not do an ERG on peds patients so we are stuck in the middle here so to speak. We've gotten a second opinion from Duke and she is thinking he may not have RP. Obviously, we like her idea better--LOL. However, she's rather new at this. Just don't know but have been begging for 2 years now to get hte ERG done. It's a field of vision test. Now, the Deaf-blind program people came to our house years ago and did a little test on him and said, yes, he definitely seems to be losing field of vision and does show signs of RP. He's very sensitive to light. Some days he can tolerate the sunlight, others, he just can't. Takes time fo rhim to adjust from one set of lighting to another. Has balance issues at times(sign of ushers). Night blindness..just can't tell yet. Yet, the kid can see planes in the sky. Go figure! His vision for distance is great but close up...horrible. Hope that explains it a little. RP is a part of Ushers but "officially" we don't have the dx. Just on papers for his medical files at UNC. Got to go. Thanks for asking though. And please, if you kno wanything about RP do let me know.

Stephanie--mom to 7

15. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

Are they doing both ears on wednesday or just one ear? Not that it matters either way ... prayers are prayers. I will pray for his cochlear implantation and that everything over the next month runs smoothly. UNC does good work with them. I know someone who had one ear done during the summer. She'll go back for the other ear later on.

16. SpunkyPunky

SpunkyPunky Well-Known Member

God Bless both of you.
    Are you in contact with the Foundation Fighting Blindness? http://www.blindness.org/ (Go to the Ushers link)

I'm sure they could find someone who could make a definitive diagnosis.
    Here are some clinical trials regarding Ushers.
    Please let us know how everything turns out.
    We will all pray for your son.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/search/condition="Usher+syndrome"

Found 5 studies with search of: "Usher syndrome"

1 Recruiting Natural History and Genetic Studies of Usher Syndrome
    Conditions: Retinitis Pigmentosa Syndromic; Congenital Deafness; Usher Syndrome; Retinitis Pigmentosa and Deafness; Progressive Hearing Loss; Retinitis Pigmentosa
    Intervention:

2 Completed A Genetic Analysis of Usher Syndrome in Ashkenazi Jews
    Conditions: Usher Syndrome; Retinitis Pigmentosa; Congenital Hearing Impairment
    Interventions: Procedure: Audiogram; Procedure: Electroretinogram

3 Terminated Study of Dietary N-3 Fatty Acids in Patients With Retinitis Pigmentosa and Usher Syndrome
    Conditions: Usher Syndrome; Retinitis Pigmentosa
    Intervention:

4 Completed Study of Usher Syndromes, Type 1 and Type 2
    Condition: Retinitis Pigmentosa
    Intervention:

5 Recruiting Molecular Genetics of Retinal Degenerations
    Conditions: Retinal Degeneration; Retinitis Pigmentosa
    Intervention:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  17. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ready said it better than i could have - my prayers are with you

18. Abdulina

Just the right side for now. UNC is extremely conservative in their approach to this. They ahve only done 5(okay, 6 now) billateral implants there. They've done several hundred unilateral. Would would have loved bilateral but answer was no. If this works, it will be done hopefully a few months later if progress is documented w/ the one side. And trust me, I'll document everything--LOL. We have a great doc according to everyone. Can not wait for it to be over and done w/. Thanks for your concern.

Stephanie--mom to 7

19. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

Does your doctor look like Doogie Howser? Not the actual Neill Patrick Harris ... but a really young doctor that is actually a bit older.

My mom's friend called her doctor .. Doogie Howser because he looked like he could have been in his late teens.

20. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

Keeping your family in my prayers. I pray that all goes well tomorrow. :grouphug: