Old Drug Store closed at NC50

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jtm, Nov 19, 2008.

1. jtm

jtm Well-Known Member

2. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Good to know ... THANKS!

3. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, that's how I go in the morning!

4. EngNCSU

EngNCSU Well-Known Member

This is just a WONDERFUL project, lets make the curve SHARPER, and create a wonderful opportunity to rear-end your neighbor as they sit at the stoplight!!

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol:

6. steelie

steelie Well-Known Member

Agreed...who decides these things......they just took out that type of intersection at old drug store & 42 because it was too dangerous..

Plus, what dim bulb decided to shut down the old intersection before the new one was ready. Did you see the backup this AM?? From 42&50 all the way back past the old drug store rd & 50...

Wow...can't believe they pay people to make decisions like this....

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

So what rd does ODS tie into once you cross 50? I don't travel that way much so I'm confused as to why they re-did this intersection anyway? :confused:

8. jtm

jtm Well-Known Member

It's going to tie into a neighborhood. I believe it's another phase of the neighborhood that includes Leach Dr. Neighborhoods over a certain number of houses have to have more than one road that exits the neighborhood. Whatever is across from ODS will be that second exit. I guess they couldn't make it meet the existing ODS intersection, because of the swamp/river, so they are realigning ODS to meet this future road.

9. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

That is correct.

There is a reason for everything.

10. rbcwolf

rbcwolf Active Member

The sharper curve is not desired but it should be signed and is a low speed area provided people follow the signage which doesn't always happen. Moving the intersection further north from the bridge allows turn lanes to be installed (I have been assuming this) which don't conflict with required guardrail off the bridge. Also, the creek probably does have a flood plain which wouldn't allow the neighborhood road further over. I think the side where the curve is seems to be in a low area so realigning the road may be not only a cost issue but possible environmental issue.

Just my assumptions from driving through the area every so often. I'm not involved in this project.

11. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

You are correct as well.

There is a ton of flood off that creek which does impact locations of many things.

12. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

What about the house on the corner of 50 and ODS Rd? I was wondering if they are going to leave that strip of road that is still there today or if they are going to build them a driveway of some kind so they can get in and out. It seemed odd how they just took out the road in front of their house.

13. rbcwolf

rbcwolf Active Member

They will have access, most likely on the Drug Store Road side. You can't cut off access to dwellings.

14. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

dim bulb......ROFLMAO!!!

15. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I drove the "new" road yesterday for the first time. It was weird! It still amazes me they can make an old road vanish in a day! (I know it's still there, but you can barely see it) My kids thought it was pretty cool, they've been wanting me to drive on it forever, and I kept telling them I couldn't, even though it looked done.

16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Didn't I read on a old thread long ago that where the old road is now, there is going to be a convenience store or something built there?

17. le

le Well-Known Member

me too!!!

that new configuration is sure to be the site of accidents coming and going. musta been the dimmest bulb in the bunch.

18. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

hola chica!