Can a cat pull a muscle?

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by harleygirl, Dec 9, 2008.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Mattie was fine now she's limping? This took place in all of 1 minute...

She jumped down off the couch, DH gave her a moth that flew in (her favorite) and now she's limping???

She has jumped off and on the couch a million times before.

She has peed and stinkeyed with nothing but what should be there. No blood.

Help Me! I'm getting ready to FREAK out!

2. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Is she acting like she's in pain? My little Pom dog must have gotten a crick(sp?) in her neck once and she would cry out in pain when she had to move her neck. It was so heartbreaking. Took her to the vet and got some pain meds for her, and a few days later she was back to normal.

Hopefully your Little Miss Gorgeous Mattie just has a pulled muscle and will feel better soon. If you feel like you need an emergency vet, I have the # to the one my vet's office recommends. Best wishes!

3. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

She can absolutely pull or strain something. If she's still limping in the morning I would call your vet and see if she gives you an anti-inflammatory or something. Little Miss Mattie Cat will probably be just fine.

4. harleygirl

DH reminded me that we are *all* getting old and that she's going to be fine, but you know mamma bear ~ FREAK OUT!!!

I'll sleep with her on the couch tonight and watch over her. The second I *think* it's worse or Mattie cat is in pain, she goes to Dr Debbie! Isn't that why we have credit cards?

I'm watching her new and poor thing is just limping around/ I'm going to cry.

5. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Girlie, she will be fine. She's just getting to be a little old lady, and she forgot that she can't get as frisky as she used to.

And yes, that is why we have credit cards.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Hope the kitty is feeling better this morning Harley!

7. cddaniels485

cddaniels485 Guest

I would limit her jumping if I could (I know that'll be hard with a cat) but when I worked at a vets office and we had these types of accidents we recommended limited activities. Have you tried to apply pressure where the injury is at to see what kind of reaction she has?

8. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

HG, any living thing with muscles can pull one.

But, don't fret too much - George, my PITA kitty who hates people, dogs and other cats. . .he jumped down from the dryer top (his favorite place to sleep) 10,000 times, but one day about 3 years ago he jumped off of it when I was getting ready for work early in the morning, and was limping, then a few hours later I was home on a break and still limping, I got home at night and he was hopping on 3 legs, not putting any weight on his front foot - of course this was at 8pm. . .so the next morning I had to leave home for work at 6am - he was still hopping - on my travels I used my cell to call the vet and they agreed to squeeze him in during a break I had at 3pm - well I rushed and almost broke my neck to get him there at 3 and wouldn't ya know he wouldn't limp, not even a bit in front of the vet? They gave him some mild pain meds, just to appease me - but I never had to give hm one. Still, he had about 36 hours where he looked like he was is serious discomfort. Cats. . .he probably took joy in my spending 85.00 and fretting over him. . .just his style. :roll:

If she still looks as pittiful tomorrow, then make an appointment.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sounds like the pup a couple of months ago. I have a computer chair with arms on it and she somehow got her leg caught between the arm and the chair itself and did a whole lot of yelping til I got her un-stuck. Limped around for a few minutes til I thought I'd have to take her to the vet, and then she apparently forgot all about it and has been fine ever since. Of course, she's careful about hopping on that chair now too. 8)

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hope Mattie is better today, poor baby:grouphug:

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

This actually happened to my mom's dog and we took him to the Vet. He did pull a muscle and it took several weeks to heal. He was put on some pain meds. They also restricted his jumping. He's an old man too! When my Elvis was a baby, he jumped out of his daddy's arms and actually tore a ligament in his knee. Thankfully, it healed on it's own (sm tear). We had to keep him from jumping for 6 weeks which meant purchasing an air matress so we could all slepp on the floor, piling stuff on the couch and chairs so he would not jump, and helping him with steps. It was worth it not to have him go through surgery though.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, since we haven't heard from her this morning, Harley is probably at the vet! 8)

13. harleygirl

Nope been laying on the couch with a headache.

Mattie seems to be OK. Still watching her sleep.:lol:

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, I'm glad Mattie is better, hope you feel better soon! :grouphug:

15. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Of course they can, but ya gotta put a little peanut butter on it! :mrgreen:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  16. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

That was bad.

Very funny, and in line with what I'd expect you to say, but bad!

17. harleygirl

Youre so going to hell, see ya there! :lol: