My son can hear!!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Outstanding! I know when my son got glasses when he was 8, he told me he never knew things werent supposed to be fuzzy and blurry but he could see clearly now. I wanted to cry i was so happy for him but being a guy i cant do that but...i wanted to.

So i know you are feeling pretty darn happy. Congrats!

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

That is amazing! I'm so glad he was able to have the surgery and it was successful. What a wonderful Christmas present for you all! :hurray::grouphug:

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

So much better than two front teeth! 8)

4. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

Oh, how wonderful!!! I'm so happy for you. Yes, God is good!!!!

5. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

That is wonderful. We take so much for granted and sometimes it takes little miracles to make us realize what we all should be thankful for

twitch

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

My daughter was one year old before she could see and it was amazing.

Steph...so happy for your whole family! Things really do work out.

Amazing,
    Sherry

7. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Yea!!!! We are so happy for all of you. I cant wait to see the difference it makes. Give him a hug from us!

8. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Yahooo for you all
    & Big Woof Woof say Woof Woof too! :hurray:

9. neta4packers

neta4packers Member

Awww...that is so amazing!! I am so happy for you and your family. I even teared up, that is such a blessing. Hope you all have a safe and happy Christmas..:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:
    Shineta

10. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

This is wonderful news! Thanks for sharing and congrats! Our family is so happy for your son and yours. :)

11. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

DD needs those this year! :)

12. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

Now, that's just plain cool! :hurray:

13. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

:hurray: :grouphug: :hurray:

Great news!

14. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

You guys are just too sweet! This is definitely better than some of myother kids' two front teeth--LOL. It is just great to see him turn at noises adn just realize how much we do take for granted. Everyday noises that he is hearing clearly for the first time ever. The look on his face is priceless. We are enjoying every single minute of it! Trying to remember all the "rules" to the new device. We'll get there though. Not worried about it at all. Guess what?! He even said the word 'more' at dinner. Yep, he said he wanted more. Okay, you all may not have recognized it as more but we sure did. He is trying so hard. He's already made the connection between sounds and words. He's watching our mouths and trying so hard to mimic it. Now, it's still not cranked up to where it should be. Every few days we have to crank it up here at home. Then, he goes back in two weeks for another mapping. He turned when the bus came this afternoon. He actually heard it BEFORE it got to the house! He's all in all doing phenominally well. He calls me more often now than he did before. I don't even get aggrevated when he calls my name over and over. I know that eventually, he'll be able to say mom, I love you. And say it with his words, not his hands. Hopefully, before he bcomes a teen and it is said w/ an eyeroll--LOL. Thanks again. It has been a long journey for two years now. We never knew he was going to be deaf-blind but could not have asked for a better child to be ours. We love you Nik and can't wait for you to talk with us at dinner!

Stephanie--mom to 7

15. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

How wonderful!!! Talk about a Christmas blessing! Congratulations

16. Grammie

Grammie Guest

I am so happy for you guys. That is the best Christmas present ever. Tell him to come back here so he can hear the kitty meow. (You'll just have to wait outside. :mrgreen:) Wait untill I tell Eric

17. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

That is just wonderful news! I can understand being scared of hearing things he has never heard. I myself have a hearing problem and the older I get the worse my hearing will get, I have been wearing a hearing aid in my right ear since I was 6 years old. I'm 40 years old and it still is hard to deal with different sounds that someone with normal hearing all their lives has learned how to block out and just listen to the person in front of them. I stuggle with this everyday. Even though I have never been deaf, that could be my future..but I do realate to the new sounds.
    Most nights I come home and that is the first thing I do is take my hearing aid out cause I would have a headache from all the noise.
    Sheri

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Stephanie, that's wonderful news!!!

19. Sporadic2000

Sporadic2000 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone could top that Christmas present!

20. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Not at our house anyways. It has been so awesome to watch these last 2 days since he got it turned on. Just this morning he runs inside to tell us(using ASL) that he can hear the cars in the road. He heard them from the house. He was jumping up and down and saying he can hear. Hooray!!! This is a huge relief. It is a sign that he may one day be able to verbally speak. So excited for him. Just watching his face light up every time he hears something new is simply wonderful to witness. He stood outside today and listened to the rain this morning before school. Just stood there and listened. Didn't care if he got wet, just wanted to hear the rain. I never thought about it before. Thanks for all the encouraging words from the 40/42 crew. However good the implant, he's still a little boy w/ lots to learn. The little bugger has learned that if he takes the magnet off, he can't hear us when he's getting in trouble. He took it off last night, looked at us and laughed. Yep, he got into more trouble--LOL. STill, enjoying these times, that's for sure. Can not wait until the Christmas Parade this weekend. Can you imagine all the new sounds w/ that?! Hey, if you all see a bunch of kids w/ two tired looking adults, come say hello.

Have a wonderful weekend! See some of you at the parade.

stephanie--mom to 7