Vehicle painting

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, Dec 9, 2008.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

anyone have a recommendation of someone good to paint a truck? i have never had a vehicle painted so i am clueless but DH wants a new paint job for Christmas for his truck. HELP!!!

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Kaci,

I have used Pittman's for other body work and they are very good and seem honest. The teen backed out of our driveway this summer, in my car, and pulled the bumper off by getting too close to the mailbox. Being stupid, she and her cousin put the bumper in my car and took it to my mechanic. He sent them to Pittman's and called me after they left. I received a call from my teen, from Pittman's, and through the crying I heard bumper, accident and $800.00. Once the adult got on the telephone he stated what happened, told me that a new one would be $800.00, used $400.00 or he could put my bumper back on for $100.00, since it had little damage. Of course I went for the least expensive and thanked him for his honesty.

Cannot beat honesty and a great job done!

Pittmans Auto Service
    710 E Main St
    Clayton, NC 27520
    919-553-7050

Good luck,
    Sherry

3. le

le Well-Known Member

Hey, how did y'all get such a rich Santa!?!? Give Dodd a call at Clayton Custom Collision - 938.1515.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ok, now you are scaring me, what kind of money am i talking about?

5. le

le Well-Known Member

Are you wanting to paint the entire truck?

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

yeah, that is what he wants, the paint job is fading really bad in a lot of places and i figure cheaper to get a paint job than try to buy a new truck - the man loves his truck.

7. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

I had my husband's truck painted for him for Christmas a couple of years ago at Hamm's in Four Oaks off of HWY 210. He had been in an accident and they were going to have to do some painting after the body work anyway so I decided to have the whole truck re-painted for him since he had been wanting it painted orange anyway (don't ask me - his choice, not mine). The cost was about $600 for the paint job. They worked with me until we got the right color orange which took several samples before I was happy with the color. My husband loved the truck. We have since had to replace it and when we bought another one asked about having the new one painted orange as well. Go figure!

Hamm's Paint and Body Shop
    2498 King Mill Road
    Four Oaks, NC 27524
    919-989-9341

Karen

8. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Not sure how cheap you can get it out our way, but I took my 89 S-10 blazer into Maaco in Raleigh to have it painted the same 2 tone it was already (faded paint) and the quote was $1800. I asked the guy if he was looking @ the right vehicle? The truck is probably only worth $500 total. No-way am I putting that much in a paint job.

I ended up buying as compressor and the spray gun and am just going to do it myself. If he's the handy type, that might be the best way to do it. You can get a compressor and gun for around $300, prolly another $100 for the paint if its not a crazy color. Tons of books out there on how to do it and get great results. Plus you can use the compressor for tons of other stuff.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i don't know if he would be willing to try, too scared he would mess up his baby:lol: We do already have a compressor and a spray gun but i don't know if it is the right one for painting a truck.

i liked Tator's quote of $600, will have to give them a call too, thanks

10. lulu300

lulu300 Guest

If you are looking for a professional paint job and want it to look and last like the paint job from the factory it is going to cost you a couple to few thousand dollars. There are places out there that only charge a few hundred dollars but in a few months your paint is peeling, fading, chipping, etc. The reason it costs so much is because there is a lot of labor involved in order to get that factory, like new quality. Buyer beware!

11. monaco177

monaco177 Guest

Good Bodyman/Paint

I too am looking for a good bodyman to do some minor work on my classic car. This car was stripped and painted 4 yrs ago during restoration but paint is bubbling in a couple of spots and other minor areas need attention. Looking to get work done @ tax time. Does anyone out here know of anyone who does work on classic cars (and does the work right?) The guy who did my car told me he replaced the rusted out areas with metal and now 4 yrs later Im finding out differently. :x

12. le

le Well-Known Member

Give Dodd a call at Clayton Custom Collision monaco - 938.1515.