It's the season

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sharkster, Dec 17, 2008.

1. sharkster

sharkster Guest

Had a co-worker commit suicide yesterday. If you get a chance, tell your friends and co-workers they are important to you.

Happy holidays.

2. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss.

I heard on the news that there have been alot of people doing it this year. Apparently this time of year it is especially bad, plus with the $$$ problems everyone seems to be having now, its extra bad.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

How terribly sad for you and their family :cry:. Did anyone have a clue that he/she was depressed or anything?

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Had a similar situation a few years ago and I was the one to have to deal with the after effects. This loved ones Boss stated that he was very adept at identifying depression yet it did not register there was a problem with him or me.

As stated earlier, be aware that it is normally bad this time of year but in light of the current economic mess it will be even worse.

Tell them you love them.
    Tell them you will work with them to make it better or get the help they need.
    Tell them you love them.

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that! :grouphug:
    My thoughts go out to you.

here's how gay I am (not in that way)... my DH and I keep passing notes on the bathroom mirror to each other that says I LOVE YOU. We do it every morning.
    When I talk to my mom, dad, sister, grandma I always tell them I love them.

I guess I just assume my 4042 family knows I love them but I don't say it very often.

I LOVE MY 4042 family so much! :grouphug:

6. seabee

seabee Guest

So sweet.. :cheers::grouphug:

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Wow, so sorry to hear about this and our thoughts go out to all.

Sherry

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I do the same thing with my family and teen, HG. And I agree with you on the 4042 family.

Please know that you are a part of my 4042 family as well and are loved!

Sherry :cheers:

9. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that sharkster. :-(

Last year when DH and I went to Hilton Head with some other couples from DH's company there was this really lovey-dovey newlywed couple that was so cute holding hands, getting his/her massages, etc. They had been high school sweethearts who had gone separate ways and then reconnected again when they were in their 40s. They had only been married for a year and you could tell they were very much in love and were enjoying a nice weekend getaway. Well, one week after we got back, and just 3 days before Thanksgiving, DH called me and said the man, Michael, had killed himself... that morning! Talk about a shock! :shock: I mean, we had just spent an entire weekend with this couple and you would never have known that anything was wrong in his life. Apparently he had been battling depression. It was incredibly sad. :cry:

10. browns rule

browns rule Guest

you just never really know what is happening in someone's head. When I was little, there was a lady across the street in my neighborhood, she was the mom of one of my playmates. Her husband left her for her best friend. She became very depressed and sought help at a hospital as an inpatient. She was there for several weeks and her family said when she came out she was cheerful and happy and one evening they went out to dinner and she was talking and carrying on like her old self. Well, the next day when her kids were at school, she dressed up, got into her car in the garage and turned the car on and shut the garage door......you can guess the rest. It was so very sad....she was only in her early 40's.

11. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Well-Known Member

I have known several people that have taken their own life for whatever reason. (and never knew they were having problems before-hand)

I have never had depression so I can't imagine how bad it could be for someone that the only alternative is to end your life.
    How terribly sad.
    .....and for the friends and family, it just breaks my heart.

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

so very sad for you sharkster. you just never know what people are going through and we are all guilty of not noticing. I had a roommate blow her brains out. there are no words of how it can make you feel. I always try to be kind to others, you never know what battles they are fighting.

13. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

14. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

You know I love ya, HG! You my girl! lol

15. sharkster

sharkster Guest

My loss is trivial in light of the "big picture".

I don't know that anyone quite understands why people commit suicide, but you have to wonder if a mere "great job", "you look great", or something like that could be the difference.

As stated, these are tough times for many different reasons, don't let the chance pass to make a difference. It's not always the ones you would suspect to do something like this.

16. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

depression is a terrible thing. Alot of times its the strong person that is affected and is ashamed to ask for help. I had a bout of severe depression over the summer, i felt myself falling in the hole, asked friends for help. Because I am usually the strong person nobody believed I was that bad. Most people just thought I was down and that I would get over it. Lesson here...if someone admits to being depressed or suicidal please listen to them and remember they may not admit it at first.

17. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

SUICIDE SUCKS!!! I have had way to many people that were close to me and my family do this (3 to be exact, my cousin who was like my older brother was the latest in February 2007!!) Needless to say I am on the lookout pretty close and know some of the signs as they say hindsight is 20/20!!

This sounds pretty harsh, but honestly people who commit suicide **** me off!!! Who knows why they do it but I am just gonna throw this out there....when YOU COMMIT SUICIDE, YOUR FAMILY CAN'T COLLECT LIFE INSURANCE that I know of so DON'T DO IT FOR THAT REASON ANYWAY!!!

I've fought depression over the years and even recently, I just have to think about my kids and frankly, how my cousin's kids felt when he blew his brains out and even I am still mad about it!!

18. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

absolutly! just being kind to someone can change anything! there is the story of the 2 boys that were best friends b/c one more popular one helped the less popular one. he was going to commit suicide the very day the other one helped him (need to find that story and post it).

you really never know what someone else is battling!

19. monaco177

monaco177 Guest

:grouphug: Pray for all those who are suffering that God's love and guiding light will help see them through the tough times. It is so terribly devestating that people get so desperate that they take thier own lives.:grouphug::-(